What avg speed on a flat road?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    smidsy wrote:

Also I should add it is not my club more accurately it's the club to which I am a member.

Sorted now (and I'll not worry about the lack of commas either) - just joking Smids :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I had enough trouble with the words, punctuation and grammar will have to take second fiddle 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • So basically what this means is that you were willy waving; it just happened be the willies of a number of others - and not yourself - that you were waving, and it was not clear that this was the case. Unsuspecting forum sees honourable member bearing willies and apparently waving them, and therefore mistakenly assumes them to belong to him. Innocent mistake by both parties. :)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    okgo wrote:
    I know this is off topic, but I can fully well believe those average speeds, and it certainly wouldn't require drugs to avg those speeds on a flat stage with a peloton the size of the one in the TDF. I've done a flat e12 race that averaged 27 mph over 85 miles and the first 20-30 miles were at 28-29mph avg, so doubt pro riders would have any issue with the extra few mph given the hugeness of the bunch.
    Theres a huge difference in speed between av 27 and av 33mph !!( yes I know its 5mph lol) No way would Lance , doped or not, av 33mph for the whole tdf, they must have been quoting his TT times av speed, only a flat stage with tailwind would they get 33moh. Look at the stats on sky site for last year, also some other teams, wou would be mazed how low some of the power data is for some stages. I am sure someone will dig out the total av speeed for last few tdf's and suspect it will come out 25 to 27mph. Hope so lol
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    Speed is relative... did you mean velocity ?
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • No, speed. Velocity includes a direction (ie rate of change of position), which is meaningless in this discussion.

A rider's velocity for a crit is 0.
  • I am sure someone will dig out the total av speeed for last few tdf's and suspect it will come out 25 to 27mph. Hope so lol

2012 (distance and time from wikipedia):

Distance: 3,496.9 km
    Wiggins: 87h 34′ 47″
    Average Speed: 39.9 km/h (24.8mph)

Similar in previous years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    okgo wrote:
    He probably meant while they were moving on the flats that is the speed they would do. Sounds fair enough.

Well it's not an average then in that case and should at least be qualified. Our club chain gang averages around 25mph for the 25 mile distance over about the flattest roads in the area but it wouldn't be sustained at that level for much longer.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I may be in a minority, but I don't give a toss how much quicker or, rarely, slower others are than me. I just enjoy the ride. But what I will say is "My willy is bigger than your willy!"
  • nochekmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I may be in a minority, but I don't give a toss how much quicker or, rarely, slower others are than me. I just enjoy the ride. But what I will say is "My willy is bigger than your willy!"

Garmin data?
  • GPS computers don't calculate altitude very well...
  • smidsy
    Pross wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    He probably meant while they were moving on the flats that is the speed they would do. Sounds fair enough.

Well it's not an average then in that case and should at least be qualified. Our club chain gang averages around 25mph for the 25 mile distance over about the flattest roads in the area but it wouldn't be sustained at that level for much longer.

I did in my response 6 posts above your.

Move on now. :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    nochekmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Garmin data?

No data but I could upload pictures of my helmet. :wink:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Ha Pross who is on those rides then? 25mph av for your club ride chain gang? Not the riders I know then :wink:
  • I have an 8 mile beach front pretty flat route. As long as there is no wind I can average about 20 MPH the distance.

By the end of that I am pretty knackered!!

Obviously I will hit higher and lower speeds. Anyone who reckons they "average" 25 MPH over 60 miles is either a professional rider or a liar! - Even if it's flat - LOL!
  • nochekmate
    I have an 8 mile beach front pretty flat route. As long as there is no wind I can average about 20 MPH the distance.

By the end of that I am pretty knackered!!

Obviously I will hit higher and lower speeds. Anyone who reckons they "average" 25 MPH over 60 miles is either a professional rider or a liar! - Even if it's flat - LOL!

Plenty of people gone under 2 hours for 50 mile TTs and more, so you can ignore the above - a group ride of strong club riders could achieve 25 mph average on a flat circuit certainly.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    averaging 25 miles/hour for 2 hours is pretty impressive when you consider the hour world record is only just over 30mph . . .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • nochekmate
    b45her wrote:
    averaging 25 miles/hour for 2 hours is pretty impressive when you consider the hour world record is only just over 30mph . . .

It is quite impressive but there's a world of difference between riding at 25mph for periods of time and 30 mph just as there is between 20mph and 25mph.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    b45her wrote:

There are many many many many people who can do a 50TT in under 2 hours
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    Pross wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Ha Pross who is on those rides then? 25mph av for your club ride chain gang? Not the riders I know then :wink:

Not me that's for sure! They use the gliding club circuit on a Tuesday night if you fancy joining them though. I'll see if I can find any Strava data from one.

EDIT Here you go, from one of the club's lady riders - it's only 23 miles rather than 25 but 25.1mph average http://app.strava.com/activities/34335955#568727371
  • Robbie Hunter's average speed for a rolling stage 3 of Tour Down Under - 23.8 mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/266161640

Dan Martin's average speed on a very flat stage 1 of Tour of Beijing - 25.4 mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/232320011

Some folk on here with their 'impressive' average speeds should try getting a Pro contract :lol::lol::lol:
  • Who said that their average speeds were impressive, out of interest? Lots of accusations of willy waving, but this particular thread has been relatively free of it...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    ecd44d38ec4c29cf10c1eab1ea9317ef.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Who said that their average speeds were impressive, out of interest? Lots of accusations of willy waving, but this particular thread has been relatively free of it...

Are you serious?!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Couldn't tell you why those two stages are as slow as that. They're slow stages though. The first isn't exactly flat though, 9k of climbing...the tour of Beijing, who knows, it's odd, it is pretty slow, they probably weren't bothered or he wasn't anyway.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • smidsy
    Robbie Hunter's average speed for a rolling stage 3 of Tour Down Under - 23.8 mph

Distance: 86.02 mi
    Time: 3:36:53
    Avg Pace: 2:31 min/mi
    Avg Speed: 23.8 mph
    Elevation Gain: 8,845 ft
    Calories: 1,843 C
    Avg Temperature: 97.4 °F

If you call that anything like flat and easy YOU better get a pro contract :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I called it rolling.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited January 2013
    Who said that their average speeds were impressive, out of interest? Lots of accusations of willy waving, but this particular thread has been relatively free of it...

Are you serious?!

Entirely. At what point has anybody flaunted any particularly extraordinary speeds that they have achieved? Some of what has been posted so far has been respectable (requiring a decent level of fitness) but a long way from unattainable for anyone willing to put in the work, and a very long way from the highest level. Nobody appears to think that they are Brad Wiggins, or is trying to persuade us that they rode to work as fast as Chris Boardman (etc). Yet...
  • smidsy
    I called it rolling.

And this thread is about flat roads.
    Yellow is the new Black.