What avg speed on a flat road?

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    18 - 19 mph average but depends on headwinds.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    philbar72 wrote:
    18 - 19 mph average but depends on tailwinds.

FIFY :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    88mph, with a trail of fire behind me :D

;)
    Not many flat bits up here, so it's pretty hard to measure. At a guess, about 18mph is achievable for me.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    smidsy wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    18 - 19 mph average but depends on tailwinds.

FIFY :lol:
    heh. then it goes up of course. Hate headwinds, especially when i am dragging people round weybridge and walton! when are they gonna take their turn?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    20-24 on the flat probably wind depending.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • any more willy waving or are we done now?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,585
    any more willy waving or are we done now?
    Maybe .... until the next thread.
  • any more willy waving or are we done now?
    Maybe .... until the next thread.

I'll look forward to it :cry:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    DavidJB wrote:
    Normally around 32MPH on the flat for 100 miles.

Keep at it and you'll get to move up from the slow group to the medium soon.
  • Pross
    smidsy wrote:
    How far?

Our club training rides aim to keep around a 25mph average on flat terrain and they cover circa 60 miles.

I assume you're taking the p*ss (either that or you club are permanently disappointed at the end of a club run).
  • Yeah 25mph. Nice going.

We have three chain gangs and the route goes straight out and back. So you go down what you go up, 21 miles out, 21 miles back. It regroups only once on the way back.

Fit guys group - 18mph average
    Fit wannabe racers group - 20mph
    Cat E - 1 - 2 we are the big boys group - probably 22mph

General club runs are around 13 - 15mph and that is 50 - 70mph with a few Cat 4 -5 climbs. Normally two groups faster and slower speeds.

But at the end of the day club runs go at the slowest person space and whilst a peleton might whizz off for a section or climbs ......... it has to wait for older, slower, hung over, having a bad day riders. Otherwise go out on your own is the tag line.
  • Well the honesty at the end of this makes me feel better about my typical average of 12mph solo riding - but that includes a lot of hills, headwinds, traffic lights, junctions, and of course unnecessarily long drafting of ladies in leotards on mountain bikes along the seafront section of my route.

Cruising speed - i.e. just cycling along in a relaxed manner, on the flat, in still wind conditions, on my own - is probably a 'comfortable' 18mph.
  • average speed over 21miles with 1100ft of climb is 14.8mph solo winter commute , one day i will get to a respectable 16mph :?
  • Yeah 25mph. Nice going.

We have three chain gangs and the route goes straight out and back. So you go down what you go up, 21 miles out, 21 miles back. It regroups only once on the way back.

General club runs are around 13 - 15mph and that is 50 - 70mph with a few Cat 4 -5 climbs. Normally two groups faster and slower speeds.

But at the end of the day club runs go at the slowest person space and whilst a peloton might whizz off for a section or climbs ......... it has to wait for older, slower, hung over, having a bad day riders. Otherwise go out on your own is the tag line.

All of this.
  • skid4.5
    skid4.5 Posts: 12
    about 68mph . i am currently riding a citroen dispatch with a 5inch drop to the steering wheel for a more aero position
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I should resist the temptation to get drawn into this but...

Based on previous threads, leaving out the dafter "willy waving" claims, an average of 15mph over a decent distance with a selection of ups and downs seems to be what many people achieve.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • okgo
    Yeah 25mph. Nice going.

But at the end of the day club runs go at the slowest person space and whilst a peloton might whizz off for a section or climbs ......... it has to wait for older, slower, hung over, having a bad day riders. Otherwise go out on your own is the tag line.

your racing lot avg 22mph on a flat chaingang route?

A group of riders that level should be easily averaging 23-25 mph over an hour as an average on a flat course if there isn't many stops.

This is the worst thing about these threads, you get people who just can't accept that others go faster, 25 mph is quick yes, but for an hour I'd look to certainly go around that pace with other people on a chaingang route, hell 22 mph would be a easy for most cat 2 riders to average on their own round a flat loop.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    This is the worst thing about these threads, you get people who just can't accept that others go faster, 25 mph is quick yes, but for an hour I'd look to certainly go around that pace with other people on a chaingang route, hell 22 mph would be a easy for most cat 2 riders to average on their own round a flat loop.

This!
  • okgo wrote:
    Yeah 25mph. Nice going.

A group of riders that level should be easily averaging 23-25 mph over an hour as an average on a flat course if there isn't many stops.

Where does it mention this?
  • okgo
    My bad, I hadn't seen the 21 out 21 back bit. But terrain dependent that isn't hugely quick for a bunch of racers doing a chain-gang style ride.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    okgo wrote:
    Yeah 25mph. Nice going.

Where does it mention this?
    See above
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    DavidJB wrote:
    Normally around 32MPH on the flat for 100 miles.

Lance Armstrong, is that you?

The book "Lanced" by the Sunday Times journalist Dave Walsh said that Lances average speed on the Tour de France was 31 -33 mph. Which was so ridiculously fast that it''s not possible to do it without being on something. I really recommend the book too.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • okgo
    I know this is off topic, but I can fully well believe those average speeds, and it certainly wouldn't require drugs to avg those speeds on a flat stage with a peloton the size of the one in the TDF. I've done a flat e12 race that averaged 27 mph over 85 miles and the first 20-30 miles were at 28-29mph avg, so doubt pro riders would have any issue with the extra few mph given the hugeness of the bunch.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    okgo wrote:
    I know this is off topic, but I can fully well believe those average speeds, and it certainly wouldn't require drugs to avg those speeds on a flat stage with a peloton the size of the one in the TDF. I've done a flat e12 race that averaged 27 mph over 85 miles and the first 20-30 miles were at 28-29mph avg, so doubt pro riders would have any issue with the extra few mph given the hugeness of the bunch.

Wow. There's a clearly a big difference to be had from riding in a group. Plus being fit, of course. :roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • This might be a bit controversial, but how about some actual data?

I dropped in for half an hour on the Bristol Chaingang one night last June. It was 15 degrees, dry, and not very windy. This was well into the second half of their normal ~2+ hour route.

Distance: 12.7km
    Avg Grade: 0.1%
    Elev Difference: 12m
    Elev Gain: 68m
    Elapsed Time: 20:00
    Average Speed: 38.0 km/h

Which is 23.6 mph. So as OKGO said, 23-25mph for a good group going pretty hard is both possible and likely, but 22mph over a 42 mile route is also reasonable for a training ride.
  • Pross
    Yep, but someone above was saying they aim for 25mph average over a 60 mile ride, I've never come across a club that does those sorts of speeds over that distance on a training ride.
  • okgo
    He probably meant while they were moving on the flats that is the speed they would do. Sounds fair enough.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, but someone above was saying they aim for 25mph average over a 60 mile ride, I've never come across a club that does those sorts of speeds over that distance on a training ride.

His club (Smidsy's) is not really based in a flat area of the country either (he's not too far away from me) and I nearly questioned it at the time. I have Garmin/Strava data of 20-22mph club runs with the quicker guys in our club over 40-60 miles (usually in the summer) but just edging that up to 25mph takes some doing it has to be said.

I think that the most important word in Smidsy's original post was that the quick guys aim to do 25mph over 60 miles - aiming to do it and actually achieving it are two completely different things, which is why somebody pointedly said that more often than not, he thought that they would return disappointed.

Of course there are riders who can knock out 25mph+ rides over such mileage, if conditions and elevation are favourable but let's not pretend that that is the norm for club rides as it puts people off joining up - 20mph+ yes for quick groups, 25mph+ regularly no, and whilst we are at it not many riders 'cruise' along at the suggested speeds of 22mph for too long on roads that are not just pan-flat - it does take a fair degree of effort to ride at that pace for extended periods.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    okgo wrote:
    He probably meant while they were moving on the flats that is the speed they would do. Sounds fair enough.

Yes it does.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Blimey little did I know how a few lines of text could generate such debate :-) Ok I clearly need to respond.

1. I accept my wording was a little misleading.
    2. I do not partake on the Saturday training rides (not quick enough) so was only offering it up as an example in an attempt to put some structure to the OPs question.
    3. What I should have said was they aim to keep the speed above 25mph as much as possible. This is clearly something that has mixed results depending on many variables each ride.
    4. The overall distance of the ride tends to be circa 60 miles.
    5. As nochekmate correctly states we are not in a pan flat area and I would consider most rides as undulating.
    6. I was not attempting to decieve or 'willy wave'.
    7. I'll get my coat.

I am usually found on the Sunday club run which is a somewhat more relaxed affair and we normally cover 40 - 50 miles of undulating terrain around Leicestershire/Worcestershire. These runs do not average any where near 20mph let alone 25mph, more like 17 - 18mph.

Also I should add it is not my club more accurately its the club to which I am a member.
    Yellow is the new Black.