Paint issues on 2013 Canyon Nerve.

124»

Comments

• Hahahahaha sorry I was very excited and seen to have ejaculated loads of pictures onto this thread!!!

I have a 7 grit wet and dry paper at the ready now. I want the same affect the OP has managed to get!

I agree with some there's no way that hasn't been rubbed by either clothing or harsh cleaning! I have two canyons on much old that my new strive and the top tube is still perfect without helitape.
  • Hahahahaha sorry I was very excited and seen to have ejaculated loads of pictures onto this thread!!!

I have a 7 grit wet and dry paper at the ready now. I want the same affect the OP has managed to get!

I agree with some there's no way that hasn't been rubbed by either clothing or harsh cleaning! I have two canyons on much old that my new strive and the top tube is still perfect without helitape.

Do you mean - sorry I seem to have ejaculated photos of my gleaming new bike all over the thread of the OP who is trying to get a problem on his new Canyon sorted and which he's clearly unhappy about? And since ive ejaculated all my pictures of my perfect paint job, I'll also tell the OP that the issue he has with the paint job on the top tube of his Canyon is clearly self inflicted as its never done that on any of the Canyons I own? ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Do you mean - sorry I seem to have ejaculated photos of my gleaming new bike all over the thread of the OP who is trying to get a problem on his new Canyon sorted and which he's clearly unhappy about? And since ive ejaculated all my pictures of my perfect paint job, I'll also tell the OP that the issue he has with the paint job on the top tube of his Canyon is clearly self inflicted as its never done that on any of the Canyons I own? ;D

Well said...... :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hope this thread gets to be as long a the Who's bought a Canyon one, so people stop buying all this foreign rubbish and buy decent patriotic bikes like the Orange 5.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I hope this thread gets to be as long a the Who's bought a Canyon one, so people stop buying all this foreign rubbish and buy decent patriotic bikes like the Orange 5.

I like the orange 5 however like most British built things they are overpriced for what they are. If I want to buy a five with the same spec as my canyon it's would be another £2200!!! No thanks....!
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I like the orange 5 however like most British built things they are overpriced for what they are. If I want to buy a five with the same spec as my canyon it's would be another £2200!!! No thanks....!
    You won't be saying that when the Germans march into Poland.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    just to go back to the bolts going loose im sure if you take your car down a mountain, off jumps round a few trail centres then you may well have a few loose bolts on it..
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    craigw99 wrote:
    just to go back to the bolts going loose im sure if you take your car down a mountain, off jumps round a few trail centres then you may well have a few loose bolts on it..
    But a car isn't built to withstand going down a mountain, whereas surely a Mountain Bike should be?!
  • cooldad
    ali4390 wrote:
    craigw99 wrote:
    But a car isn't built to withstand going down a mountain, whereas surely a Mountain Bike should be?!
    It's good to be right, but it doesn't stop you being dead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If a bolt is correctly specced and tightened it won't come loose, that is because the tightening stretches the bolt putting sufficient tension on it so it doesn't work loose.

If for some reason the above doesn't work, such as suspension pivot bolts where you may crush a bearing, then threadlock needs to be used of a suitable type, no fastener should vere be neither stretched or threadlocked or have some other retention feature (nylocks, crushed nuts, sprinfg washers etc etc

I'm with the OP, if the parts were correctly specced or fitted they shouldn't come loose in 200 miles.

As for checking once a month, that's just daft, the OP may do 1000miles a month and have killed himself in a week or 10 miles a month and waste more time checking the bike than riding it! 200 miles is certainly within what a reasonable number of riders do in a month.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The month thing is rather arbitrary, but is something I check regularly on all my bikes. There are remedies, as above, to help keep bolts locked, but is still good to check them.

Fitting large, high torque bolts to cars is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, as the overall weight is already high and you have a engine to propel you. Unfortunately with bikes manufacturers keep the weight as low as possible, often with the smallest bolts they can reasonably get away with. The caveat often is that you check them.

If they are regularly rattling loose ie mid ride then there is problem.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    Rec'd another email from Canyon rep today who has said he has spoken to the factory and they have told me to take the bike to a pro paint shop and they will pay up to £75 for the silver to be resprayed. Can't argue with that for service.
    Whyte 905
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seems a good resolution.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    glad they came up with a good resolution for you
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    am i the only person who has read the canyon warranty? it says in black and white that paintwork defects are not covered, i think they have been very accommodating by offering the OP £75 to get it sprayed. i'd get a can of paint and some tape and to do it myself and spend the other £70 on beer.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It doesn't matter what their warranty says. If something is faulty (including paint) they have to fix it.
    This will be why Canyon's are cheap then, poor quality finishing and terrible customer service.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    It doesn't matter what their warranty says. If something is faulty (including paint) they have to fix it.
    This will be why Canyon's are cheap then, poor quality finishing and terrible customer service.
    A bit of a stupid statement, there seems to be plenty of us on here and on the road forum that have first hand experience of completely the opposite.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    There has been mixed feed back regarding their customer service, I have had poor customer service from them as well as good - The strange thing is the UK customer support is one guy. Would I buy another one... the juries out at the moment, I certainly wouldn't discount them but I would avoid a model with anodising and a lot of paint on it.

Also Canyon clearly consider the UK to be a growing market as they are setting up a new call centre, hopefully to provide a more consistent customer service.

Canyon are good value because you buy direct from the factory, which is a great idea.

Personally a side from the paint issues on my bike, I have been happy with my bike, its well put together and rides great.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    b45her wrote:
    am i the only person who has read the canyon warranty? it says in black and white that paintwork defects are not covered, i think they have been very accommodating by offering the OP £75 to get it sprayed. i'd get a can of paint and some tape and to do it myself and spend the other £70 on beer.

This (to me) is nothing to do with warranty. It's a manufacturing fault

There is a difference between manufacturer's warranty, guarantee and consumer rights (see below). This specific issue is more complex because the supplier is German and both the retailer and manufacturer. However I believe Germany will have some form of consumer rights with regards to faulty goods, but I don't know under which country's law this issue falls. Generally, if you've bought something and there is a fault with it (within 6 months), your first port of call should be the retailer you bought it from not the manufacturer (in the UK at least).

Anyone any idea under which country's law this will fall, it's an import technically isn't it? Canyon isn't operating as a retailer in the UK?

***********************************************************************************************
    Guarantee

*A guarantee is usually free and is a promise about an item by the manufacturer or company
    *It's a promise to sort out any problems with a product or service within a specific, fixed period of time
    *Whether you paid for a guarantee or not, it is legally binding
    *The guarantee must explain how you would make a claim in a way that is easy to understand
    *It adds to your rights under consumer law
    *It will take effect whether or not you have a warranty

Warranty

*A warranty acts like an insurance policy for which you must pay a premium - Sometimes a warranty is called an 'extended guarantee'
    *May last longer than a guarantee and cover a wider range of problems
    *A warranty is a legal contract
    *The terms of the contract should be clear and fair
    *Does not reduce your rights under consumer law
    *A warranty can be in place with a guarantee

Consumer Rights (Under UK law)

These are rights in law from the Sale of Goods act that cover you when purchasing products. If a fault occurs within 6 months it's the retailer's (not manufacturer) responsibility to prove that it's not a fault or offer a repair, replacement or possibly a refund. After 6 months the similar applies, although you have to prove it's a fault

I'll add that this isn't the first time I've posted this info but quite a few people are unaware of their rights so hopefully it'll help someone
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    dmorton wrote:
    Anyone any idea under which country's law this will fall
    Not sure it matters now as consumer rights are protected by EU statutes

edit: this one IIRC http://ec.europa.eu/publications/bookle ... dex_en.htm
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The warranty will be with Canyon UK who are probably a separate company to Canyon Germany
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'm surprised Canyon are paying for it to be rectified. Whilst I agree I'd be upset if that happened to my shiny new bike after 10 rides I would either have helitaped it first of soon after the scratches started appearing (I'm guessing they all didn't magically appear after the 10th ride...). Obviously Canyon are saving some cash on that finish but I'm surprised they don't helitape in the factory like it looks like they did on the Strive, it's got to be cheaper than lacquering for just a few obvious areas and saves them this hassle of dissatisfied customers
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I suppose 'it's not our fault, you should have helitaped it' is a similar argument to 'it's not my fault you painted my bike with a wax crayon'.

I've never helitaped a bike, ever. I've never had an issue with paint. Sure, my bikes get scratched, that's normal. I would say what happened here is a pretty extreme case.

They probably didn't have to pay, but its sensible that they did.