2013 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• KPHC
    KPHC Posts: 489
    durrin, just looking back over the numbers and your summer hattrick of 17's is just madness, can't even comprehend that sort of mileage :shock:

and yes, the race for bronze looks set to be a good'un
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    KPHC wrote:
    durrin, just looking back over the numbers and your summer hattrick of 17's is just madness, can't even comprehend that sort of mileage :shock:

just 2 years ago I would have thought the same thing, in fact I wrote something to that effect to Toontra in 2011. But when you start riding brevets/audax, it just adds up.

I know several people that rode LEL, and 2 weeks later, rode Super Brevet Scandinavia, that would be 26 MCC points. Or what about this: http://www.sverigetempot.se/index_en.html 21 points all by itself. I'm considering that last one for next year.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    gets a bit addictive this brevet / randonneur stuff; 2013 did a 100 for fun, then thought why not a 300 for the challenge then a 400 for why not again --missed out on 600 due to illness ?

2014 already entered 200, 2 x 300, 400 and 600 km events and thinking (ish) of a 1000km too----and PBP 2015. Kinda get drawn into it all.... :D or should it be :(
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Got my December ride in today despite the best efforts of the cycling Gods to put me off - after 7kms slipped off on a non-descript right turn and bashed my arm, after 18kms in the middle of Melton somehow didn't get knocked off by some loon who decided that he really needed to get past me on a traffic light right-turn filter lane and then after 43kms got visited by the pf - first time this year!! - and used my only tube. Called in at a work-mate for a spare tube but he wasn't there, so crossed everything tightly and rode home trying to avoid every lump & bump and piece of road debris. Ended up doing a lap of the Soar Valley villages to bring up the century, an interesting ride to end the year!

Moral of the story - carry a repair kit as well as a tube... :oops: :lol:

That's four years on the bounce I've done this, roll on next year! Well done to everyone finished, good luck to those yet to complete.
  • Final ride today, I like to finish off with a trip the Cafe Ariete in Moffat, awesome cakes and coffee, it's what i look forward to all year. Threw in a climb up Talla, which didn't seem so bad. I think the wind was pretty favourable all day, which makes a very pleasant change. http://www.strava.com/activities/98630895
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Completed the challenge today. Still a few more 100k's to come (Apols to Charlie 'stalker' Potatoes who found me on Strava thus scuppering my potential cunning plan to post Decembers rides at the last moment in a dramatic flourish :lol: - anyway, thanks for the Kudos but unfortunately it won't make me do the honourable thing and stop!) - due to SCStats commitments, there is no rest for me in December!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Completed the challenge today. Still a few more 100k's to come (Apols to Charlie 'stalker' Potatoes who found me on Strava thus scuppering my potential cunning plan to post Decembers rides at the last moment in a dramatic flourish :lol: - anyway, thanks for the Kudos but unfortunately it won't make me do the honourable thing and stop!) - due to SCStats commitments, there is no rest for me in December!

:D Enjoy Mate. I am putting my feet up and thinking of next year!
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Completed the challenge today, well pleased with it as it is the first time I have tried.

Thanks to durrin for organising it, I will be in next year if it is on again!
  • diplodicus wrote:
    Completed the challenge today, well pleased with it as it is the first time I have tried.

Thanks to durrin for organising it, I will be in next year if it is on again!

Nice one :)
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Enjoying your rest there Mr Potatoes? :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Enjoying your rest there Mr Potatoes? :lol:

I was press ganged into it. Such is the life of a humble domestique :D
  • rolf_f
    Of course you were. You are a scoundrel and a rotter! That avatar is well earned! :D
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Of course you were. You are a scoundrel and a rotter! That avatar is well earned! :D

I say old chap, Steady on :D
  • JamesB
    Rolf F wrote:

Charlie---4 x 100s this month is NOT putting feet up !!

Rain, wind, and today snow is keeping me off teh roads for 100s :(
  • JamesB wrote:

It is compared to Rolf's 8 x 100s already this month :shock:

:D
  • JamesB
    JamesB wrote:

He`s pushing you then !!! :lol:

No sign yet of bikergirl17 doing Dec ride ?? She`s stuck with it right up to now so best wishes for an honourable completion.

I might get another couple 100s in Dec and then it`s start again 2014---and for 2014 also doing Audax Grimpeur AAA rTY challenge (a ride with AAA points once a month) and several 300km + Audaxes (incl Snow Roads in Cairngorms :):):)
  • rolf_f
    JamesB wrote:

Oi! That's 9 now. I was on the train home from Darlington when you posted that - very presumptious not to have assumed I might be adding another one today! :lol:
  • Chapeau Rolf!

Looks like you're going to have a good week :D
  • rolf_f
    Chapeau Rolf!

Taa CP - still have 475 miles to go before I can relax but that is better than the 750 I needed at the start of the week!
  • JamesB
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chapeau Rolf!

Taa CP - still have 475 miles to go before I can relax but that is better than the 750 I needed at the start of the week!

That will be some going this time of year ---you`ll have to grab slots between the gales (and here now wet snow and ice) :( ride safe and best wishes---have you considered combing with the Rapha 500 festive challenge to :roll:
  • rolf_f
    JamesB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chapeau Rolf!

That will be some going this time of year ---you`ll have to grab slots between the gales (and here now wet snow and ice) :( ride safe and best wishes---have you considered combing with the Rapha 500 festive challenge to :roll:

Any high winds I'll use for downwind thrashes! Easy miles at the cost of a train trip back! So far all warm for the time of year - it's really only ice that concerns me but the forecasts suggest it may stay warm. And yes, the Rapha challenge is already signed up for. If all goes to plan, completing the Rapha challenge and reaching 12k may well happen on the same ride!
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    Just a quick reminder to everyone to post their remaining 2013 rides on the 31st. I will update on the 1st of January.

and, as for 2014:MCC 2014 thread
  • JamesB
    Rolf F wrote:
    JamesB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chapeau Rolf!

Any high winds I'll use for downwind thrashes! Easy miles at the cost of a train trip back! So far all warm for the time of year - it's really only ice that concerns me but the forecasts suggest it may stay warm. And yes, the Rapha challenge is already signed up for. If all goes to plan, completing the Rapha challenge and reaching 12k may well happen on the same ride!

You`re lucky to HAVE TRAINS !!!! think they`re 2 a day at nearest station ---15 miles away. :roll:
  • rolf_f
    JamesB wrote:
    You`re lucky to HAVE TRAINS !!!! think they`re 2 a day at nearest station ---15 miles away. :roll:

To be fair, there are parts of Mongolia that are less out of the way than Powys/Herefordshire - what do you expect?! :lol:

66 points so far, 9 days to go.....

• No sign yet of bikergirl17 doing Dec ride ?? She`s stuck with it right up to now so best wishes for an honourable completion.

I might get another couple 100s in Dec and then it`s start again 2014---and for 2014 also doing Audax Grimpeur AAA rTY challenge (a ride with AAA points once a month) and several 300km + Audaxes (incl Snow Roads in Cairngorms :):):)

Got it in today -- beautiful sunny (!) weather although perhaps I should have started before one pm, chosen a route without cross winds & taken a bottle & food so I didn't bonk at mile 55. And not gotten lost. But fitting, as the January ride including a 10 mile detour to the Moroccan border.

I was also considering the aaa rty, but I'm not organised enough to sign up for audax uk & there's no January rides near me. Plan is to do them, and logging them in this challenge is sufficient for me :)
  • JamesB

No sign yet of bikergirl17 doing Dec ride ?? She`s stuck with it right up to now so best wishes for an honourable completion.

Got it in today -- beautiful sunny (!) weather although perhaps I should have started before one pm, chosen a route without cross winds & taken a bottle & food so I didn't bonk at mile 55. And not gotten lost. But fitting, as the January ride including a 10 mile detour to the Moroccan border.

I was also considering the aaa rty, but I'm not organised enough to sign up for audax uk & there's no January rides near me. Plan is to do them, and logging them in this challenge is sufficient for me :)

Well done :) ---don`t know where you got the sunshine from !! Heavy squally sleet / snow storms here today :(

As for AAA-rTY you do NOT have to do this all via calendar events Audaxes---I`m planning doing it thro` both calendar events and DIY-GPS rides ---see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78492.0 and Tony Hull / Hillbilly comments to my queries; basically design a route of not less than 50km minimum rideable distance with 15m / km climb, register it via AUK DIY links and ride with GPS, submit track to DIY organiser and that`s it :) and enjoy !! My first one planned is 24th Dec http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3792202 BUT weather is dubious gales and snow here...so we`ll see
  • The DIY is great -- but with the pre-approval & it's too much planning for me. There's a few permanents I could do if I really wanted to get aaa rty. And I will go for grimpeurs du sud again, which is five aaa rides in s east, no audax membership required. The male top of aaa leader board runs it (usually cycling w woman who smashed the all time aaa record this year! I'm in awe of them & the guys on here getting in 70+ metrics).

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Where are you located? My favourite place to cycle is s wales. So easy to get the climbing for aaa. Here one has to basically serpentine the downs 25 times. Are you doing the gospel pass aaa?
  • JamesB
    No not doing Gospel 200---Snow Roads 300 week before; sent you pm but it`s sitting in oubox for some reason! :(
    Grimpeur Sud nice website though !
  • I'm done, just finished in time for me Christmas dinner, perfect
  • JamesB
    Well done :)

I`d not really intended doing another but it kinda snuck up on me today---with 80 km done and 10 to home decided to add on another 10 to make another metric ride---it wasn`t windy, it wasn`t raining so why not ??