2013 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• Apologies but have been away....all done now.

Damn! There goes any chance of a podium finish :lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Apologies but have been away....all done now.

yes, looks like minor runner up positions between you and me---mind you if I had`nt been ill in Sept I`d be way ahead :wink::wink:
  • JamesB wrote:
    Apologies but have been away....all done now.

yes, looks like minor runner up positions between you and me---mind you if I had`nt been ill in Sept I`d be way ahead :wink::wink:

You're not wrong James. A 600km Audax would have done it for sure.
    Bad luck!

I'm more than happy with what I've achieved so far though :D
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    And that's it. Failed for the first time in 4 years. Ran out of weekends, daylight and dry weather. I'll have to try harder in 2014! Well done to all those still in.
  • durrin
    durrin Posts: 123
    genki: you still have a whole day!! I too was close to dropping out this month because of motivational and other problems, but managed a single metric century. Just do it!
  • JamesB
    Agree just do it ---I`m struggling to do necessary 100s too; wet and windy and bleak waether; should have rounded off my Exmoor ride of 190 km to 200 but just lacked motivation to do so !! Reckon Charlie Potatoes has got best of me now for minor places
  • KPHC
    KPHC Posts: 489
    I had to suck it up and do 20 laps of Regents Park last week as I knew I was running out of available riding time this month. Despite how boring it might sound I loved it, this challenge is awesome, making me get off my arse and ride when I otherwise wouldn't, not regretted a ride yet! Cheers for all of this Durrin
  • genki
    OK, I'm now sitting here balancing the consequences of leaving work early, cancelling a night out with my wife and spending over three hours pedalling around in the dark in temperatures close to freezing...but the 2014 season starts tonight ;-)
  • durrin
    edited November 2013
    16 still in, 2 out in October: Thomas the Tank Engine, Evil Laugh
    jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct total
    1   1   4   11  13  17  17  17  3   1   85    durrin (1,=)
    7   7   6   5   5   8   7   7   6   8   66    Runner2Cycling (2,+1)
    3   3   3   5   4   7   5   7   6   8   51    Charlie Potatoes (3,+1)
    1   2   1   7   3   9   6   12  2   5   48    JamesB (4,=)
    1   2   2   5   7   5   6   7   6   7   48    Rolf F (4,+2)
    3   4   4   4   4   4   4   6   3   3   39    diplodicus (6,+1)
    1   1   1   4   6   6   5   4   3   2   33    bikergirl17 (7,+1)
    4   5   1   1   6   5   3   2   1   2   30    lucky paddy (8,+1)
    1   1   3   3   4   5   2   3   1   2   25    wiffachip (9,+1)
    1   1   3   2   5   6   1   1   3   1   24    genki (10,=)
    1   1   2   2   1   2   3   1   2   1   16    Negativelycra (11,+2)
    1   2   1   1   4   1   1   3   1   1   16    KPHC (11,+2)
    1   1   1   3   2   2   1   1   1   1   14    thecrofter (13,+2)
    1   1   3   1   2   1   1   1   1   1   13    Pollys Bott (14,+2)
    1   1   1   1   1   1   2   3   1   1   13    EPR (14,+2)
    1   1   1   1   2   1   1   2   1   1   12    wind700 (16,+2)

• genki
    Updated Oct and I'm still in. 5 weeks off the bike and you lose so much! It was 2C when I finished at 10pm and it hurt... ;-)
  • genki wrote:
    Updated Oct and I'm still in. 5 weeks off the bike and you lose so much! It was 2C when I finished at 10pm and it hurt... ;-)

Nice one 8)
  • durrin
    genki wrote:
    good going!
  • JamesB
    Well done indeed and you`ve helped motivate me to `do` my Nov 100 :)---I`ve had two attempts at it alreday this month, defeated twice @ 60 / 70 km by persistent rain and cold.

So today despite rain determined do a `100` got out my best bike (added motivation)--Lynskey R230 and headed off into rain (again:(---but after an hour it brightened up and was quite pleasant but chilly; 102 km done :) pressure off for November now !! It was a struggle though---all the full winter kit and waterprooofs :(:(
  • genki
    Excellent. This Challenge certainly does add a bit of motivation!

No leaving it to the final evening this month. November's in the bag and the winter tyres are one ready for December...
  • JamesB
    genki wrote:
    Excellent. This Challenge certainly does add a bit of motivation!

No leaving it to the final evening this month. November's in the bag and the winter tyres are one ready for December...

Yes and having got `challenge` bit out of the way added another 100k today in quite decent weather :D
  • I'm trying so hard this month to stay in, but I'm not confident!
    17 day old child. 6 days in hospital, and 50 miles total this week - spread over 3 rides.

Every day I sit at lunch and think about a ride that evening. Every evening I get home knackered, and can only think of tea, but I get home to find mum in need of a spell, and then try to hold bairn / cook tea / still think of ride, and sleep. More think of sleep TBH.

i'm trying to work out which of my 2 2013 goals is more important - the 200 mi / month or the 100 challenge - I'm pretty confident my wife will kill me if I try both! Needless to say, if I can get a chance this weekend I'll try for the 100, but already know it'll be the slowest and hardest ton I've ever attempted...
  • genki
    I'm trying so hard this month to stay in, but I'm not confident!
    17 day old child. 6 days in hospital...

i'm trying to work out which of my 2 2013 goals is more important - the 200 mi / month or the 100 challenge - I'm pretty confident my wife will kill me if I try both!

I think you know the answer and no-one here would disagree... Family First. This is just a bit of fun after all 8)

Maybe we should have a new rule - new born buys you one month's "joker" card, or "get out of jail free".
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Yeah. If you manage to fit in a 100 mile ride when you could be holding your new born baby then I'll personally come and slap you on behalf of yr missus!
  • I'd love that excuse,but if broken bones (see page 2) are no excuse, then bairn isn't either.
    I have an agreed slot on sat to go riding, because wor lass has a "dummy date" with 4 or 5 other equally knackerd and dischevilled new mums. I'm just hoping Henry has a nice night on Friday so i can fo - last saturday. Slept from 8 till about 3, but that's because i'd been up since 12 holding the little bugger so mum could kip... :)

Btw, kids are a must for cyclists. More expensive than rapha, more effort than mow cop into a headwind. The perfect combo of satisfying misery...
  • sadly, i have to confirm i'm now out. There is just no way to combine a newborn with being out for that long if it's not part of gainful employment!

I'll be back in the new year though, really enjoyed the '13 challenge :)
  • Bad luck Negativelycra. Definitely for the right reasons though!

I have made the most of the good weather today and am pleased to say I've completed the challenge :)
    It's been a great motivator for me and there have been a few times where I would have done around 50 miles but have pushed on to get over the 62. I hope to get a couple more in before the end of the year though.

Thanks Durrin :D
  • JamesB
    Likewise completed today :):) ---- a good challenge and as Charlie at times have been tempted pack a ride @ 70-80 km, and on occasions have done so :( BUT have got through it all and may do a few more in Dec now `pressure` is off

Thanks too Durrin for setting this up and keeping scores updated.
  • JamesB wrote:
    Likewise completed today :):)

Nice one James :)
  • JamesB
    Cheers thank you; and well done yourself too !!

---now if 1. I was younger and 2. less prone to frequent chest infections..... :)
  • genki
    Well done JamesB and Charlie Spuds.

My plan to nail it today got sunk. I pumped up the tyres before heading out and the back wheel went bang. I must have split the tyre hitting Luxembourg's only known pothole a few weeks ago! Since I was staying with friends had no spare parts I was all dressed up with nowhere to go. Luckily the month is young but history says you have to ride in these winter months when you have the chance...
  • KPHC
    KPHC Posts: 489
    Just completed with a century today, chuffed to bits. Thanks so much for sorting all of this durrin
  • durrin
    15 still in, 1 out in November: Negativelycra.

Looks like there is a fight for bronze!
    jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov total
    1   1   4   11  13  17  17  17  3   1   2   87    durrin (1,=)
    7   7   6   5   5   8   7   7   6   8   4   70    Runner2Cycling (2,=)
    3   3   3   5   4   7   5   7   6   8   8   59    Charlie Potatoes (3,=)
    1   2   2   5   7   5   6   7   6   5   9   55    Rolf F (4,+1)
    1   2   1   7   3   9   6   12  2   5   4   52    JamesB (5,-1)
    3   4   4   4   4   4   4   6   3   3   1   40    diplodicus (6,=)
    1   1   1   4   6   6   5   4   3   2   1   34    bikergirl17 (7,=)
    4   5   1   1   6   5   3   2   1   2   1   31    lucky paddy (8,=)
    1   1   3   3   4   5   2   3   1   2   3   28    wiffachip (9,=)
    1   1   3   2   5   6   1   1   3   1   3   27    genki (10,=)
    1   2   1   1   4   1   1   3   1   1   2   18    KPHC (11,=)
    1   1   3   1   2   1   1   1   1   1   2   15    Pollys Bott (13,=)
    1   1   1   3   2   2   1   1   1   1   1   15    thecrofter (13,-1)
    1   1   1   1   1   1   2   3   1   1   1   14    EPR (15,-2)
    1   1   1   1   2   1   1   2   1   1   1   13    wind700 (16,-1)

• Got my December ride in yesterday - couldn't resist the good weather conditions - think I'm safe in 2nd position !!
  • durrin
    Got my December ride in yesterday - couldn't resist the good weather conditions - think I'm safe in 2nd position !!
    I don't know: the two right behind you are putting in a lot of rides!

I also used the comparatively good weather to get a good ride in yesterday.
  • durrin wrote:
    Got my December ride in yesterday - couldn't resist the good weather conditions - think I'm safe in 2nd position !!
    I don't know: the two right behind you are putting in a lot of rides!

I also used the comparatively good weather to get a good ride in yesterday.

I plan to take my foot off the gas for Dec/Jan so I won't be putting in a late charge.

Chapeau to all who finish :D