jgsi Posts: 5,062
    JGSI wrote:
    Captainlip wrote:
    1. Get off your bike.
    2. Sell your bike.
    3. Go find another sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzb5zbnY6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mikXAckc-8

Those who spout sh!t on this topic clearly find this acceptable and destroy the reputation of cyclists. Im sure there are plenty of you on here that fall into this catagory.

Attitudes have got to change.

Just like driving, cycling is transport first sport last.

Well we all know where you are coming from .. thanks for that.. are you Swampy, 20 years on?

Come back and tell me about it when you're an actual cyclist and not just a know-nothing weekend warrior dressed like a gay power ranger.

Blimey nice one.. you have a nice day tomorrow as well .. the fact that I am 'know-nothing...' means I should stfu?
    ok then xxx (them's just ordinary kisses)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Captainlip wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    Captainlip wrote:
    Its funny how predictable this discussion is, as expected there are people sitting on both sides of the fence on this one.

generally this sport does attract more pr!cks than the next.

got a MIRROR

DID IT WORK FOR YOU?

spot me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • i tried that mirror thing you suggested and I saw quite a hansom young man looking back, no pricks.

As for the video thats the best roadie video ive seen.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Geordies, haha. Fantastic!

In 2013 I will make time to actually go and see them.
    tick - tick - tick
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Captainlip wrote:
    i tried that mirror thing you suggested and I saw quite a hansom young man looking back, no pricks.
    face like the back end of a cab then?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Captainlip wrote:
    Its funny how predictable this discussion is, as expected there are people sitting on both sides of the fence on this one.

What did you expect? Everyone to agree with you?

Out of interest, how long have you been a cyclist to safely announce that last statement?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Captainlip wrote:
    i tried that mirror thing you suggested and I saw quite a hansom young man looking back, no prick.

FTFY.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    cougie wrote:
    Captainlip wrote:
    Yes, I noticed the irony too :D

Captainlip has issues, take a look at his responses to this other live thread.

I can't quite fathom out how he ended up owning a £3k Trek Madone but dislikes the appropriate clothing and everybody else that rides on the road :?. Is he a MTB'er that has had too many knocks to the head?

I'm off back to commuting, at least we only have DDD :lol:.
    Boardman CX Team
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    On topic - first vid I see no probs. Half the cycle lane is overrun with soil and shrubbery evident by the half-obscured cycle symbol. Thats not the cyclists fault. The vehicle driver had many opportunities to overtake safely, yet did not. Why? Trying to prove a point beyond reasonableness?

The second vid, okay I personally would not ride 2 abreast on that road, for my own safety and to avoid holding up traffic unnecessarily. While we can ride 2 abreast in the right conditions we can still cause and unnecessary obstruction. Its about being sensible.

Off topic - the OP seems to be on some kind of unfriendly crusade where everyone else is a prick, moron, cnut... Its like the chap hates everyone and everyone else is wrong or a tosser if they don't share his opinions. I've only registered to post recently but been around for a long time and seen a lot of aggression in some threads. I am surprised the guy even likes cycling! What an angry man he seems to be. There's some issues there.
    Indeed they do OP.
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Captainlip wrote:

Out of interest, how long have you been a cyclist to safely announce that last statement?

16 years. not as much as some but plenty of time to realise bib, tights and cameltoes should be nothing to do with a man and his bike.
    MADONE 5.2
  • On topic - first vid I see no probs. Half the cycle lane is overrun with soil and shrubbery evident by the half-obscured cycle symbol. Thats not the cyclists fault. The vehicle driver had many opportunities to overtake safely, yet did not. Why? Trying to prove a point beyond reasonableness?

The second vid, okay I personally would not ride 2 abreast on that road, for my own safety and to avoid holding up traffic unnecessarily. While we can ride 2 abreast in the right conditions we can still cause and unnecessary obstruction. Its about being sensible.

It's interesting how people perceive things in different ways. I would have put those two videos the other way round.

In the first one, there's some guys in the cycle lane, some half out, and they look just a little inattentive as they meander from one to the other in a less than predictable way. All in all, no real inconvenience for anyone, but they could clarify their position a bit more firmly - admittedly the badly kept cycle lane doesn't help them achieve that.

The second video they look to be affirming their position well. And given that it's a dual carriageway, reasonably quiet, and reasonably slow paced (at least the traffic is in that video), the traffic should be using the other lane to overtake anyway so it makes absolutely no difference to anyone. Not that they're being held up anyway since the other lane is perfectly clear. The attitude of that guy annoys me, because he's wrong. And even though he's wrong he feels the need to go out of his way to confront people about it. I would like very much to beat that guy around the face with a copy of the highway code. Can you get a hardback edition?
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Captainlip wrote:
    16 years. not as much as some but plenty of time to realise bib, tights and cameltoes should be nothing to do with a man and his bike.

Err, I thought it was worked out from your cycling ninja thread that in fact you were roughly mid twenties and had just got into road cycling around September time?

Anyway at least this troll is slightly more plausible than the ninja thread. I'd give this one a 2/10!
  • I just looked back at your thug/justice thread, how strange, you have edited all your comments. zzzzzz
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • bullshit_detected.jpeg
  • Captainlip wrote:
    1. Get off your bike.
    2. Sell your bike.

Those who spout sh!t on this topic clearly find this acceptable and destroy the reputation of cyclists. Im sure there are plenty of you on here that fall into this catagory.

^^^^^Jog the f uck on^^^^
  • Captainlip wrote:
    1. Get off your bike.
    2. Sell your bike.

^^^^^Jog the f uck on^^^^

clearly your a culprit
    MADONE 5.2
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    On the second one I think it's irrelevant whether there are two cyclists taking up the lane or one. I have a short section of dual carriageway like this on my commute. If you ride close to the kerb people squeeze past rather than waiting for a space and pulling into the outside lane, so then next time I ride it I'll be taking a more possessive position to force people to overtake properly.

I.e. as someone else said the driver should have been pulling into the second lane to overtake anyway so it's irrelevant if there were two people riding abreast or two riding in single file but being more possessive of the lane.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Nothing wrong with riding two abreast, people who think it's not allowed clearly need reading and Google lessons.

The cyclists in the first video looks unpredictable and looked like they could fly apart any moment.

Second video, well it looked like they were doing about 13mph, on a dual carriageway, I don't think it's safe, they'd be safer riding single file at a good distance from the curb.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Eh#3 ?

This is a very boring thread. So very nearly got to be handbags at dawn and then fizzled out. Where's Bigbee when you need him?

I'm intervening:

French spoof on unsuspecting dawdler(s)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    if the cycle lane is blocked in the first vid the onus is on the cyclists to move out when its safe to do so, ie not into the path of a car trying to pass. same way as if youre in the inside lane on a dual carriageway and there is a parked car/stopped bus or whatnot.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Captainlip wrote:

:D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    In the first vid there were loads of overtaking opportunities but the driver didn't take them.
    Not if the double white lines in the middle of the road mean the same as they do here. There was no opportunity to overtake until they did.

How so?
    Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

It is slightly ambiguous as it is unclear whether the 10mph relates to just the road maintenance vehicle or horses and bikes too but I would be arguing the case for the former if anyone pulled me for overtaking a cyclist on a double white! To be honest that first one is a typically crap piece of cycleway design with the lane width varying from wide enough for two riders to barely wide enough for a single rider and the cyclists aren't great at riding in a group either.
  • paul_mck
    who rides at under 10mph btw? fat people and me up big hills. A group on the flat should be high teens with no problem.
  • Pross wrote:
    Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Well, well. I thought it was only stationary vehicles (or turning right, obviously!) you were allowed to straddle solid white lines for.

I stand corrected. The clear implication is that if the thing you're overtaking is going very slowly, you're in the oncoming lane for a much shorter time, and so it's potentially safe to do that. Consequently I think that it's clear that the speed limitation refers to any of the moving things they list.

That said, we're not often doing less than 10mph are we? :)

The fact that we're usually going at 15-20 mph or more - on the flat at any rate - means that the overtake has to be done over a longer time. So there are fewer opportunities to do it, and hence fast cyclists often hold cars up more than slow ones.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Pross wrote:

It is slightly ambiguous as it is unclear whether the 10mph relates to just the road maintenance vehicle or horses and bikes too but I would be arguing the case for the former if anyone pulled me for overtaking a cyclist on a double white! To be honest that first one is a typically crap piece of cycleway design with the lane width varying from wide enough for two riders to barely wide enough for a single rider and the cyclists aren't great at riding in a group either.

The 10mph rule applys to pretty much all vehicles iirc. Obviously would be a case of one word against another but I wouldn't have passed them either. Any group of riders on a road will be doing more than 10mph I would have thought.

Didnt think either video portrayed cyclists in a good light. The guys in the first video could very easily have moved over to let the car passed and the second was on his own little mission, although not sure he was doing anything wrong according to the law he knew he was p1ssing off the other drivers.

If your on a bike your extremely vunerable and if you get knocked off who cares who was in the right when your dead.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Captainlip wrote:
    1. Get off your bike.
    2. Sell your bike.

Ok, I don't see any problem with how cyclists are riding in either video. I do see drivers reacting badly.

I was impressed on how the riders cut up by the white van driver didn't deck him as walked towards them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Even as a 35,000 mile per year driver I don't get this "cyclists should move over and let cars pass" argument. If you follow that through then any car driving slower than me should get out of my way. The biggest problem for me is this concept of entitlement that some motorists have i.e. the roads are for cars and you should all make way for me. Obviously there are some roads where it isn't possible for motorsist to pass such as long lengths of single track road and it is good manners to let them pass when you get a chance but on most roads we all just need a little bit of patience. The amount of times I have motorists force their way past me, even riding solo, when it's plainly obvious that they are just going to be stuck behind the same car / in the same traffic jam that they would have if they had just waited for a safe opportunity is staggering.The delay is just perceived as significant at the time due to the speed you find you are driving at. Ultimately the driver in that first video was temporarily held up but no doubt he eventually overtook and ended up back behind whoever was in front of him previously.

In all the miles I drive I am genuinely struggling to think of an occassion where I got held up behind cyclists and never caught back up with the vehicle that was previously in front of me. I'm sure there may have been times where I missed a change of traffic lights as a result and therefore lost a couple of minutes but I suspect it totals at a real push a few hours delay in 20 odd years. By contrast I regularly get stuck behind cars driving 10 - 20mph slower than I otherwise would be on rural A roads and end up behind them for miles easily losing 10 - 15 minutes on a journey as a result. When you add on delays caused by the volume of traffic and accidents caused by careless drivers any delay to motorists from cyclists is negligible and yet people constantly moan about it but the irony is that if all the commuter cyclists were driving cars then the delay would be significantly greater as junctions would be getting pushed over capacity.
  • paul_mck
    personally Id rather have a car pass me and away than sitting on my back wheel getting more and more irate
  • Pross wrote:
    Even as a 35,000 mile per year driver I don't get this "cyclists should move over and let cars pass" argument. If you follow that through then any car driving slower than me should get out of my way.

I guess you don't drive a BMW/Audi/Mercedes (the compact exec model versions mainly) as that is how most seem to behave to other road users :wink:

I can only assume that their driving style is related to their genitalia size. I do around 45,000-50,000 miles per year and I struggle to think of instances where cyclists have actually held me up. My biggest grump towards cyclists is related to the inability of some to obey traffic lights/zebra crossings and so scattering pedestrians or causing vehicles with the right of way to avoid them.

Two abreast doesn't particularly concern me, I'd rather pass a tight group riding two abreast that try and get by a long line of single file cyclists.
    "Enjoy yourself. These are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead."
  • its always the compact exec models as these are people who want the 'prestige' of the marque but cant afford a decent model, so go with the 1 series, a3, 318, 320, a4 etc...pathetic social climberesque behaviour to project to others that they are driving a exclusive brand machine, despite the fact they cant really afford it, and would be far better off buying a top end 'ordinary' marque where they will get a lot more for their money. they are also likely to, if the owners of bmw 3 series, have taken the engine capacity numbers off the back, choosing the badge delete option, which is incredibly sad as they are embarrased to show what the shiny new car they have just bought is ...ridiculous (why buy it if embarrassed)

that said i cant really comment considering have the exact same compact exec beemer, albeit it in its alpina b3 guise!