First Proper Snow Commute

Comments

• I suppose if your road surface is the "rough" type of tarmac, the knobbles *might* engage with it slightly more than a slick tyre where the surface is frosty. On sheet ice, I'm sure they'll make no difference at all.

Go safe
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bugger.

Thanks both.

I really can't afford studded at this time of year (plus I can't actually FIND any)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bugger.

Thanks both.

I really can't afford studded at this time of year (plus I can't actually FIND any)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a84978 ... =GBP&cn=gb
  • They're 28"... I'm assuming that's not the same as 700c?

My snow / mud tyres are these ones:

124960_1_zoom.jpg

Vittoria Cross XM Pro Cyclo X Tyre
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • These guys have 35mm Marathon Winters seemingly in stock

http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx/SCHWALBE

Service is good. £38 a pop though. The German Sites are worth a trawl - great prices normally
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • They're 28"... I'm assuming that's not the same as 700c?

They are 700c, only the 42mm ones are that cheap, though.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...] The German Sites are worth a trawl - great prices normally

And often faster in delivery than U.K. sites. Think starbike has a good range of studded/spiked tyres.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    My Ice bike is a 1978 viscount President frame set up as a fixie via the velosolo "disc brake hub bolt on" setup on the back. 48x18

With marathon winters and no mudguards (which get clogged in loose snow)

Cycling in the snow is literally the highlight of my cycling year. Absolutely Love it.
    click here for video of last year 25 mile ride home from work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlbx16t ... e=g-crec-u
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DrLex wrote:
    [...] The German Sites are worth a trawl - great prices normally

And often faster in delivery than U.K. sites. Think starbike has a good range of studded/spiked tyres.
    Got my Nokian A10s from starbike, 4 days to deliver, happy with that for service & price (price hard to compare with UK suppliers as there are none).

Iciest yet this morning - thick rime in the major natural frost hollow of Knapp den, livened up by occasional water ice from run-offs and frozen puddles, not to mention the remains of friday's frozen slush up in the hills. After 2 days of thaw at the weekend, that is: there has now been at least some lying snow within 10m of the road for over a week, if a disappointing lack of the white stuff actually on it - the rime did look & feel like ½" of snow in places mind you.

I still can't persuade them to lose traction, I just don't have the bottle to try taking icy corners at 40mph on the descents, but they definitely grip better on ice than the ones that they replaced (Mavic Aksions) did on wet roads. A quick brake test as I set out this morning had me managing to raise the rear wheel without any hint that the front was going to slide.
  • Ah good, they did fit your frame then?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    First ride on the ice bike this morning since I was knocked off on it this time last year (9th December in fact). There was a heavy frost, but the ice bike was probably a bit over kill to be honest.

I would have had a bit of difficulty getting out of my street, and there was a dicy bike path where I've fallen off on black ice in years gone by, but the rest of the ride was on gritted roads which would have been fine on my fixie with road tyres.

I left my marathon winters fully inflated so they didn't roll too badly, but I knew if they did start to go the studs would catch.
  • Baltic (probably almost literally) this morning but generally dry so easier than most of last week. Only trouble is I've 4 days back-to-back on the Ice Spikers this week - Friday is going to be grim :cry:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
  • Only -5C with us. Keeps the hoi polloi off the roads though. Much below that and I'm into more serious winter gear - liner gloves and balaclava for starters.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    I would have had a bit of difficulty getting out of my street, and there was a dicy bike path where I've fallen off on black ice in years gone by, but the rest of the ride was on gritted roads which would have been fine on my fixie with road tyres.

I left my marathon winters fully inflated so they didn't roll too badly, but I knew if they did start to go the studs would catch.

My thoughts too. I've a half mile of farm track at the start and end of my commute, which at times like this stays like an ice rink for weeks (no gritting/ploughing) so sometimes I'm using the ice bike just for this section.

Even if I use the ice bike and come across just one patch of ice, I think it's been worth it. I too was in A&E this time last year, so no more chances. It doesn't really matter if my average speed reduces as long as I get there in one piece. What the icebike skeptics seem to fail to realise is that you burn the same calories and generate the same energy on ice/snow rides as dry road rides, it's just that the bike goes slower, so the training value is as good as any other ride.

Looks like we're in for minus 5 and colder here the next couple of days.
  • Minus 6 this morning apparently. However the back roads were dry except for the odd frozen puddle down the verges so was no problem. Absolutely stunning going up onto the hills above Falkirk, first hint of dawn in the sky, the slightest whisp of cloud and the thinnest sliver of a moon on the horizon with Venus to the left, wish I had my camera with me. Also tried out my new Gore Cross gloves and merino liners. Worked a treat.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • Traction control on the Audi went nuts last night on the stretch I had problems with cycling in - the entire stretch was an ice rink and there's no way my present tyres (any of them) would cope.

I was going to fit the wider soft compound tyres on the Felt last night but I haven't got an flipping inner tubes big enough! (37c). I REALLY want to get out in this but it's just not safe with what I have at the moment
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    Bugger.

Thanks both.

I ordered a set of marathon winters last friday from bike24. About £58 incl p+p. Far cheaper that any british site but they are delivered by DHL (if that's a problem). Delivered yesterday so pretty quick really.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Not seen a drop of snow yet!

It is pretty damn cold out there though and doesnt plan on getting much above freexing for the next day or so!

Need some better Bibs.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    freezing here today

an crunchyness under your wheels was a bit disconcerting....made it in safe an sound though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Ordered some winter spikers now and picking up some bigger tubes this evening
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Ice bike again for me this morning - was -3.5C when I left the house. Had been tipped off on twitter by another local cycle commuter that ice tyres were the way to go. In actual fact it was less icy than it had been yesterday, even though it was colder today and there was plenty of moisture about. Weird.

Ride home tonight will be my last commute of the year. Bussing it for works xmas parties on Thursday and Friday, and then I have a week's annual leave next week before my employer shuts down for Christmas.
  • Ordered some winter spikers now and picking up some bigger tubes this evening

Sensible decision 8)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Working from home as the boiler in the office has packed up.
    However, I've been into town a couple of times on the MTB with the new Snow Studs, and they seem pretty good. My road is untreated and pretty frosty, no issues so far.
    Misguided Idealist
  • 5cm of new snow last night and it's been snowing all day. 40cm is forecast, so getting home could be a challenge.

We've had snow and ice for a week and a half now, the novelty has worn off and now it's just slow, hard work and frightening. It took me 90 minutes to get to work this morning, at an average speed of 9.4mph.
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    It took me 90 minutes to get to work this morning, at an average speed of 9.4mph.

Ouch! Yes, I find the novelty wears off pretty quickly
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ordered some winter spikers now and picking up some bigger tubes this evening

Sensible decision 8)
    Sorry to disagree but you have just wasted your money as after this week the rest of the winter will be fine.
    How do I know this?
    I have just ordered a turbo.
    You can thank me later. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:

Wus :wink:
  • right.

I have these:
    Marathon Plus (37c)
    XX7rxNDWlEeYY4yEcAH5DkNn632qAUByBx7K1crHG30axNU9tG4sCUd_2RzvY_m1H_9KT8XbRUOdQwVHiA9gitsoQj2kuExzzB4zVVaIKk5PGoUJwYkwz0khYRDXCCWsE5pFUamXS2dNBWxKh_lD5pVYijJd0eGUmmlxFw

these:
    Vittoria Cross XM Pro Cyclo X
    p1204.jpg&w=300&h=176

and the Marathon Winters

choosing between the Felt (F65X) and the Tricross (Sport), which tyres on which?

I'm leaning towards the Marathon plus on the Felt and the Winters on the Tricross
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:

Wus :wink:
    Not a wus, just a scaredy cat. :oops:
    :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.