First Proper Snow Commute

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    Like McDonald's I understand you can eat it but it's not going to nourish you.

Yup - I get the concept - just not how it applies to the ride. If I was just cruising aimlessly, then I understand, but my HR is well up, climbs are hard, it's doing my core the world of good, and I'm burning a shedload of calories - where's the junk in that?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Apparently the people who are actually quite good go very easy on their easy rides to get the base fitness up, and very hard on their harder rides.

Some of the rest of us just go quite-hard all the time, which doesn't give the same benefits.

Apparently.
  • The ride this morning was incredible - water on sheet ice for miles. The school bus was stuck trying to reverse up a slope and couldn't get traction. Ice Spiker Pros were incredible though. Took the opportunity to unclip and test the limit of grip in what are probably the worst possible ice conditions - just amazing - so undramatic. I'm still ultra cautious, especially turning on adverse cambers and where the surface isn't solid but I'd much rather have been on my bike today than in my car.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Apparently the people who are actually quite good go very easy on their easy rides to get the base fitness up, and very hard on their harder rides.

Some of the rest of us just go quite-hard all the time, which doesn't give the same benefits.

Apparently.

You are right. I've a book that recommends running/riding below 70% alternated with (ideally) above 85% - pretty much avoiding altogether the zone which a lot of the literature suggests is where we should train. Makes a lot of sense though. Only problem is that it's incredibly difficult to ride at <70% because it feels so slow - especially climbing a hill (really needs a granny ring) and goes against every natural fibre in my body. I am going to try to do it though on the MTB over the winter
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    One set of Schwalbe Snow Studs ordered for the MTB.

Just in time for the "Beast from the East" next week, according to the tabloid press :mrgreen:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    3 weeks in and I'm getting used to the extra strain, will pump them back up next week, but better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Waistline isn't shrinking because my appetite has gone through the roof and my legs have finally stopped aching the whole time. Skipped the lunchtime ride today after holding a 20 mph+ wobble leaving a gritted road not one with plenty left, then landing on my arse half a mile later on a patch of ice that's been OK most days. Should have listened to the voice that said stick to the road as I turned off onto the shortcut.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Waistline isn't shrinking because my appetite has gone through the roof and my legs have finally stopped aching the whole time.

Well-described. It's actually like starting to commute all over again (which might be because I started commuting on Ice Spikers in one January :roll: ). My legs are definitely getting used to it. Tonight will probably be a bit of a grind though...
  • Count: 8 Activities
    Distance: 124.56 mi
    Time: 9:02:26 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 1,848 m
    Avg Speed: 13.8 mph
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Calories: 6,388 C
    Ouch
  • My legs are decidedly not use to it. They knack.

Anyone got any MTFU?
  • Initialised
    Count: 8 Activities
    Ouch
    Alright, put it away I've seen enough!
    My legs are decidedly not use to it. They knack.

Anyone got any MTFU?

Yeah, but it's a nice hurt.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Yeah. You're right.

The elevation gain is the only measure by which I'm behind MRS for the week. Just as well on a single-speed.
  • Initialised
    I've only done about half as much climbing and a little over 100 miles at a lower speed, but then I have traffic, traffic lights, roundabouts and other urban paraphernalia to deal with. Country road climbs and muddy/snowy trail descents are optional extras for me. I'd rather enjoy what little proper winter we get than endure it.
  • My legs aren't happy with me this morning! They don't like all of these "junk miles" and are insisting on some proper exercise.... :wink::wink:

Need to pull the bike to bits today and give it a good going over so it's properly ready for the winter - shifting has been a bit lazy and, if it gets really cold, I don't want to be riding a singlespeed!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Excellent service from Merlin Cycles.
    Ordered a set of snow spikes at midday on Friday, they arrived midday Saturday !
    £50 delivered :D

I suppose I should head to the shed and fit them...
    Misguided Idealist
  • Excellent service from Merlin Cycles.
    Ordered a set of snow spikes at midday on Friday, they arrived midday Saturday !
    £50 delivered :D

I suppose I should head to the shed and fit them...

That is good.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Count: 8 Activities
    Ouch

1848m I thought you lived in Scotland clearly you live in Holland.

Flaaaaat
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

1848m I thought you lived in Scotland clearly you live in Holland.

Flaaaaat

That's 6000ft more than in your garage :wink:
  • itboffin
    8 activities
    96 miles
    2hrs 40mins
    7088 calc
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    8 activities
    96 miles
    2hrs 40mins
    7088 calc

The wheel is meant to be in contact with the turbo, ITB :wink::wink:
  • itboffin
    Damn it don't tell everyone :wink:
  • 2600 kcals an hour is mighty impressive though :wink::wink:
  • itboffin
    2600 kcals an hour is mighty impressive though :wink::wink:

Turbo hard sessions and 1600ft each days commute add the stupid heavy spike tyres = tired and grumpy but impressive winter weight loss

A first for me that's for sure.

Come on marmote 2013
  • I was getting close to the limits of Nokian Extreme tyres today. Could easily spin the back wheel on the flat or uphill. No out of control slides, but some slow-motion drifting sideways off the camber.
    +3C over the weekend and back to -7C this morning meant that some places were just ridiculous.
    Also had a nasty scare when a kid on a snow scooter came hurtling down the road in the dark.

Last week's stats:
    Count: 10 Activities
    Distance: 202.53 km
    Time: 11:15:13 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 2,587 m
    Avg Speed: 18.0 km/h
    Max Speed: 42.3 km/h
    Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Calories: 7,738 C

My slowest commuting week in nearly 6 years of data. :(
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited December 2012
    Back on a normal bike today, the Equilibrium - honestly felt like I was flying!

Amazingly, it's also more comfortable: 23c tyres at 130 PSI as opposed to 35c at 60 PSI.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    itboffin wrote:
    8 activities
    96 miles
    2hrs 40mins
    7088 calc
    96 miles in 2hrs 40 mins = 36mph = 57.6kmph.

Current World record = 49.7kmph.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record

Go for it! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    8 activities
    96 miles
    2hrs 40mins
    7088 calc

No wonder he's burning about 2500kcals an hour! :wink:
  • daviesee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    8 activities
    96 miles
    2hrs 40mins
    7088 calc

No wonder he's burning about 2500kcals an hour! :wink:

I doubt the hour record was set on a turbo, though :)
  • I doubt the hour record was set on a turbo, though :)

I'm not sure ITBs was either :wink: . I can't get my turbo to go that fast :shock:
  • I don't have studded tyres but do have treaded CX ones (35c) do you think i should get these out for the next few days?

It looks like it's going to be sub-zero for some time this week.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Not sure they'll be any different in the ice, KB. They do help a little in snow, though.