First Proper Snow Commute

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
A couple of inches or so of snow overnight. First proper ride in the snow. It's actually been a pretty fast decline - probably only done 5 or 6 days on the ice tyres and I already have snow to contend with. Looks like pretty much my entire 15-mile route will be snow-covered
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Slight smattering down here too. Will be on the Day One today.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I bottled it today as the side roads have been covered in ice since Friday and am not hard core enough for spikes. :oops:
    I cycle for "fun". :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • No point going out in ice/ snow IMO unless no other means of making the journey.

The alleged ' kudos' is outweighed by the lack of training benefit.

A well structured session on the turbo wins for me every time as I can concentrate on cycling rather than struggling around at a inadequate speed/ power.
  • Makes mental note to get the Tricross ready for winter duties... CX tyres on and mudguards set to greatest distance.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    10 degrees here this morning, 2 layers and I was sweating buckets
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    gbsahne wrote:
    10 degrees here this morning, 2 layers and I was sweating buckets

I was already for arctic weather this morning and was disapointed!

But the CX speare wheels are ready for the cold stuff.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yesterday's club run averaged 0C and we had to contend with several icy stretches, so I was fully prepped for a cold commute this morning. Fortunately I checked the weather forecast before getting fully dressed in winter gear, 7C! Lovely...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • No point going out in ice/ snow IMO unless no other means of making the journey.

A well structured session on the turbo wins for me every time as I can concentrate on cycling rather than struggling around at a inadequate speed/ power.

Hmmm - can you say more...?

I rode in this morning in the snow on my MTB with Ice Spikers. There was 2-3". I did 15.5 miles at 12.6mph - HR averaged 156bpm (pretty much exactly what it averages on the roadie) maxing at 172bpm (vs max HR of 182) - so I don't think the power was an issue - not sure what you mean by "inadequate speed"

On the benefits side, it was more interesting than the average commute - certainly mentally harder (required more concentration) and some physical aspects (cold and wet) - but infinitely more interesting that grinding away on the turbo in the garage. It probably did far more for my core too and my hands and arms certainly worked a lot more
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    No point going out in ice/ snow IMO unless no other means of making the journey.

Err, plus some people are concentrating on trying to get to work, rather than 'training'!

Love your description of the snow and ice MRS - I wore a S/S this morning and am STILL steaming sitting here at my desk an hour later.
  • It's interesting, Vermin, how the snow riding techniques come back. On the uphill, I tend to stay in the wheeltracks of vehicles (the snow plough's tyres are nice and wide and leave a waffle pattern.. 8) ) but, on the downhill, it feels far more assured to stay in the "virgin" snow as there's less tramlining. Also, on the single track roads in particular, sticking to the crown of the road offers a more sure-footed ride than the cambered edges.

Stunning how many cars were driving on side lights which there was heavy wet snow falling on a grey, grim morning :roll:
  • Disappointing, really. At most we had half an inch of slushy snow up here so I'd have been as well taking the road bike - at least then I'd have had mudguards. Still the ice tyres look pretty hardcore and give you that extra reassurance.

Off to use the office shoe-drier on my hiking boots.
  • Off to use the office shoe-drier on my hiking boots.

Wow - a shoe-drier! (or is that just standing in the gents hogging the hand-drier? :wink: )
  • rubertoe wrote:

I have an image in my head of this type of wheel

38942513_boadicea.jpg

8) :shock: :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gutted, can't ride today as I need to be home early, really fancied the chance to see how the Nokians coped with some proper snow, an inch or so here but a good bit more up the hills. Mrs Bomp set off on Bomp Jr's bike, I would have swapped the wheels (with Snow Studs) onto hers but she was gone before I had the chance.
    Wondering if you can get 24" studs for Bompette's Isla, and then what about Bompetta's Toddlebike?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe wrote:

I have an image in my head of this type of wheel

38942513_boadicea.jpg

8) :shock: :wink:

That is exactally what it is like,

the spare wheels are also wintered!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Off to use the office shoe-drier on my hiking boots.

Wow - a shoe-drier! (or is that just standing in the gents hogging the hand-drier? :wink: )

No, no, we have an actual shoe-drier. Guess who they asked to specify the changing room when we moved offices? :)

footwear_dryer6.jpg

Looks a bit rubbish, but works superbly well. Works just as well for shoes, boots, gloves, socks. Blows warm air (43 degrees so it's not hot enough to damage leather, etc) into the footwear and works on a timer.
  • bompington wrote:
    Wondering if you can get 24" studs for Bompette's Isla, and then what about Bompetta's Toddlebike?
    Maybe this instead?
    8891800092702.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Maybe this instead?
    8891800092702.jpg
    Good idea. She can put a crampon on the pushing foot :-)
  • Looks a bit rubbish, but works superbly well. Works just as well for shoes, boots, gloves, socks. Blows warm air (43 degrees so it's not hot enough to damage leather, etc) into the footwear and works on a timer.

Looks like something (interesting) from an Ann Summers shop! :shock: :wink:

I have the big, white, water-powered MK1 version in my office :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Off to use the office shoe-drier on my hiking boots.

No, no, we have an actual shoe-drier. Guess who they asked to specify the changing room when we moved offices? :)

footwear_dryer6.jpg

Looks a bit rubbish, but works superbly well. Works just as well for shoes, boots, gloves, socks. Blows warm air (43 degrees so it's not hot enough to damage leather, etc) into the footwear and works on a timer.

Xmas list just got revised.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Who knew you got such a thing as a shoe drier.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Does it come with gas masks in the box?
  • vermin wrote:
    Does it come with gas masks in the box?

No, but in the picture, the two tubes in the middle have special deodorising balls in them. But what's likely to smell worse, shoes that are dried well, or shoes that are sitting there festering whilst damp.

We also have a large extractor fan in the changing room. :mrgreen:
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Xmas list just got revised.

+1. Also trying to find one that'll run off a cigarette lighter socket - found out this summer (well, alleged summer) that stage races with soggy shoes are no fun.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Those shoe heaters are very cool!

Done a bit of ebaying, and this looks "ok"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scalable-Shoe ... 2a2426771b

Then just need a cheap inverter to run from teh cigarette lighter and you're away!
  • Back to dull commuting as I think the snow has pretty much gone - though I'm sure it will freeze again very soon tonight. More snow forecast for later in the week
  • Been hearing about snow down south so thought I'd see more posts on here. Ride home last night was shocking - frost, ice, re-frozen slush and meltwater, remains of snow - was ultra-careful even on the Spikers. Snowed again last night but I need to be in the car today and thanking the Lord for snow tyres. Bike again for the rest of the week.
  • rubertoe
    It snowed where i live this morning (left home at 6 am) but it turned to sleet and then rain withing 10 minutes, so it wasnt worth worrying about.

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I had a couple of mini-slides on ice yesterday morning, so put my ice tyres on my hybrid last night. Learned several things in the process. I noticed that I'm missing 8 spikes from one patch of the tyre (which I'd already put on the front wheel when I spotted it). I also discovered that latex glove and spiked tyres are a terrible combination. While changing the rear tyre I managed to puncture the tube, which was very annoying.

Didn't look too bad when I left the house this morning so I went on my fixie. There were patches of frost and black ice about though, so I walked across a patch I've come a cropper on before, and then nearly fell off on the roundabout outside my building as I pulled my front wheel sideways across a patch of ice as I was accelerating away. Bit of a squeaky bum moment, but avoided a fall. Now wishing I had come on the spikes, although I probably won't need them on the way home.

I really hate this halfway between normal and ice tyre weather that we get a lot in the midlands. I much prefer it when it's just snow or ice everywhere and it's obvious ice tyre weather.
  • Can empathise, Graeme. Had a horrible commute on the road bike a couple of weeks back where it was icy towards Inverness (which is very rare if it's not icy at my place). Dunno if you have Marathon Winters but they seem really poor for losing studs. On my 3rd season with the Ice Spiker Pros and I'm only about 10 studs down across both tyres (out of 722). Anyhow, will take to MTB/Spikers if I'm in any doubt for the rest of the winter.