Best Winter Gloves

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Snug doesn't cover it.

I can get two fingers from the hand I want to insert and my thumb from the other hand in the elastic and that's it. Getting one on is a struggle and at the moment I'm finding getting the second on almost impossible. I can do it but I can't pull the elastic cuff up properly.

I don't have thick wrists either; I can get my thumb and little finger around them.

You need to woo her a bit more... maybe some wine and a little soft music? Just jamming two fingers and the OTHER thumb in there ain't going to get things started. What happened to romance?

I was going to make a Jimmy Saville gag when I first wrote it but held back.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla
    Fortunately I will never need the lobsters.

5c today and my hands overheated wearing just the 851s. Not actually sure I will ever need the liners either.

Edit; according to the Garmin it was an average of 1c this morning. Not sure I believe that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • I think my Garmin reads 2or3C too low. 851s work down to about 3C for me then I stick the Lobsters on
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I've got poor circulation in my fingers too.
    Cycling gloves so far have failed to prevent them going numb, but skiing or motorcycling gloves come out when it's really cold. The beauty of commuting on a fixie is that dexterity for changing gear isn't required :D

I've got a new pair of Hein Gericke lobster gloves to test when winter really strikes. That's tomorrow if the forecasters are to be believed.
    Misguided Idealist
  • asprilla
    I think my Garmin reads 2or3C too low. 851s work down to about 3C for me then I stick the Lobsters on

Before you put the liners on?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The beauty of commuting on a fixie is that dexterity for changing gear isn't required :D

Believe me, the fixie is giving you no benefit at all there. Big fat gloves are no barrier to easy shifting. I'd rather have the speed benefit of gears and get my hands out of the cold sooner!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Got these yesterday and there promisingly warm considering the size - http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/etip-gloves-3.html
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I think my Garmin reads 2or3C too low. 851s work down to about 3C for me then I stick the Lobsters on

Before you put the liners on?

Yup - not sure why I go that route other than 2 layers of 851 is pretty waterproof
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I've upgraded my "glove system"!! :lol:

£8 Dunlop cycling gloves from Sports Direct (£8 in the shop, £7 online):
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-bike-gloves-931171?src=google

Keep my fingers warm enough at around freezing temps.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Yup - not sure why I go that route other than 2 layers of 851 is pretty waterproof

I prefer 3 layers of Columbus SL.
  • Actually I've just realised I have a glove system

Gore glove liners
    Gore long fingered gloves
    Altura Cresta waterproof gloves

I shall call it the asshole glove system. I'll make a fortune.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Fortunately I will never need the lobsters.

5c today and my hands overheated wearing just the 851s. Not actually sure I will ever need the liners either.

Edit; according to the Garmin it was an average of 1c this morning. Not sure I believe that.

:lol: So out of the three sets of gloves in the system. You will only need one pair? :wink:
  • asprilla
    Yup. But think of the money I'll make back selling the others as still boxed replacements in 3 years time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    -5 according to the computer and the frost that was building up on me. Cold hands....... :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I know I shouldn't (for so many reasons), but tempted by these.
  • Oh how depressing that I've dragged this thread out again, but it's time for me to get a new set of winter gloves. I left my so-so Sealskinz on the train last year and made do with some very basic gloves for the rest of the winter, but I really want something decent this time. My problem is I have short fingers (never knew it until I took up cycling) and so struggle to find something that fits both palm and fingers well.
  • alidaf wrote:
    I've got some giordana sotto-zero gloves that keep my hands warm but after a commute in them my hands feel like they've been in that cow's bum, without the latex gloves! They are far too warm until the seriously cold weather kicks in.

+1, Exactly the problem I have with them, I only get to use them for a few days each year.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just got a pair of the Pearl Izumi Lobster ones from SportPursuit. They get great reviews and there's enough room inside for some inner gloves if it gets really cold. Too warm to try them out at the moment, and I think the Lobster bit might take some getting used to.

Previously I had some Gore ones but they only lasted 1 winter of riding (commute + club runs = 4-6 days a week/s use, 8-11 rides!) but were great while they lasted. Before that I had some Altura's which were cheap and cheerful and mostly waterproof.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Assos Early Winters. I'd buy them over and over

Thanks! Do you use the 851s or S7s? I see there are some ok prices on the 851s.

851s - I think it's a fab material - love my Airjack too

Cheers! I tried their wet weather gloves last year and hated them, but these early winter ones might be just the job. I don't suppose I could ask how you find the fit in the fingers? Fairly standard?

Cheers! I tried their wet weather gloves last year and hated them, but these early winter ones might be just the job. I don't suppose I could ask how you find the fit in the fingers? Fairly standard?

I think so. It's always difficult to say

I think so. It's always difficult to say

Ta! I think I'll give it a go.
  • Last year I bought some dhb Amberley gloves:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-amberley-ii-glove/

Fantastic gloves down to minus 2 (your temperature toleration may vary) and then I added my running gloves as liners.

Excellent value IMO.

Where are the ok prices? £54.74 at the Assos outlet seems to be the best I can find. I have the inners and the lobsters, might as well get the more useful bit!

Where are the ok prices? £54.74 at the Assos outlet seems to be the best I can find. I have the inners and the lobsters, might as well get the more useful bit!

'Ok' is relative where Assos is concerned.
  • Sure, but Im willing to fork out, found them any cheaper? PBK similar price but more sizes and colours...

[Edit] Got the 851's for £45 delivered :)
  • Sure, but Im willing to fork out, found them any cheaper? PBK similar price but more sizes and colours...

Was that from PBK or elsewhere? If I can find my size (Large), I may well stock up as mine are 3 years old and can't keep going forever

Was that from PBK or elsewhere? If I can find my size (Large), I may well stock up as mine are 3 years old and can't keep going forever

Yep PBK, 15% code and topcashback at 8%. Codes on topcashback