Best Winter Gloves

Comments

• y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I'm currently using the £5 gloves from the Aldi cycling sale in September. Honestly, the best cycling gloves I've ever had. Warm, stops the wind amazingly, ok not waterproof but fantastic in the cold. Only downside is they are a bit bulky. Fine on my cheap winter bike, not so good on the 105 good bike as its harder to change gear.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • I'm into my 4th year for the DHB Amberly gloves bought on the cheap at Wiggle. There have been a few minus days riding in London but cold hands have never been a problem.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    noodles71 wrote:
    I'm into my 4th year for the DHB Amberly gloves bought on the cheap at Wiggle. There have been a few minus days riding in London but cold hands have never been a problem.
    They are good. My only problem is the liner inverts, more often than not, when you take them off.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The Siberdry gloves from cyclceclothing.co.uk are surprisingly good for the price, I used them the other day at -1 with merino wool liners and had toasty hands, they are waterproof too. I just need a slightly bigger size, damn my large hands
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Right, on MRS recommendation I've just bought the 'glove system'.

Anyone want to buy some Rapha Winter Gloves before I pop them on eBay.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:

Nothing like a bit of pressure by spending over £100 for someone! :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

If they are rubbish (some reviews question build quality) then I'm going to ride up to Scotland and tell you off.

I may wait until the spring to do it though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:

:D
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

If they are rubbish (some reviews question build quality) then I'm going to ride up to Scotland and tell you off.

If they're the black ones and in Large - I'll buy em off you ;-)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    TBH my early winter gloves went through the dryer and are knackered. I was about to spend £25 on a new pair when I realised I could sell my Rapha gloves, add the £25 and I wouldn't be far off the cost of the Assos gloves.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    trooperk wrote:
    Although not everyone’s cup of tea, have you try ski gloves, I used them when it gets very cold, feels a bit clumsy but it keeps my hands warmer and been waterproof is a bonus too.

I use ski gloves. No matter how many gloves are recommended as toasty warm on here, nobody can say that just because a glove works for them it will work for you. On the basis that I haven't yet found a cycle glove that even comes close to keeping my hands warm even at the zero degree mark, I've gone for ski gloves. Logically it makes sense. Cycle gloves are designed for people moving much more slowly than skiers, in warmer climates (mostly) and spending less time standing around getting cold. It makes some logical sense that they might be warmer. Of course, they are bulkier but not enough to impact on operating brakes/gears. That said, I still expect to get cold hands if the temperatures get much below freezing but that comes back to my point about what working for one doesn't necessarily work for others..

Tkmax has cheap deals around this time of year. I got a pair of leather palmed Reusch gloves that seem well made and survived my accident unmarked. They were around £20.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Deleted as I've changed my mind. I don't know what the hell I want.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Rolf F wrote:
    I use ski gloves.

I used some cheap ski gloves from TK Max today, cost about £15 earlier this year and were very warm. A bit too warm towards the end of my journey actually. So I visited the LBS at lunch time to get some "proper cycling gloves". I was presented with a few options all costing £40+ which I found too much to stomach. I couldn't risk the EPO finding out and using it as an excuse to restock her wardrobe (although she has lost weight recently so this might happen anyway). So I politely said I'd sleep on it.

Can't help but think that as soon as a manufacturer sells something as a cycling product they hike the price because they know cyclists like to be flash with their cash.

I'd quite like a pair of gloves that are warmer than my fingerless gloves but breath better than the ski gloves. I don't want to spend £100 on a "glove system" though. Anyone got any recommendations for gloves up to £25?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I use ski gloves.

Can't help but think that as soon as a manufacturer sells something as a cycling product they hike the price because they know cyclists like to be flash with their cash.
    This. Very definitely this.

3 years ago I got some Craft cross country skiing bib longs for £45. Now that they are cycling bib longs (unpadded), they are over £100. :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Daddy0 wrote:

What - and skiers aren't flash with their cash.....?? How much is a pair of Spyder ski gloves? Um £90. A pair of Assos's best gloves. Um £90

Quality cycling gloves need to do far more than ski gloves - they need to keep you warm and dry but they also need to be light, padded (and avoid pressure points) and yet give you the dexterity to operate STIs (including electronic shifting) - they often also include reflective elements. Additionally, in any one year, a cycling glove is likely to see more service than a ski glove. Most people do a week's skiing - a couple if they're lucky. Much of that time won't actually be skiing.

A lot of "ski" gloves that you see sold cheaply are never intended for skiing but if they call them ski gloves, add a couple of plastic clips, people will buy them. I bet that 95% of "ski" gloves that places like JJB Sports sell never see a ski slope.
  • rolf_f
    Quality cycling gloves need to do far more than ski gloves - they need to keep you warm and dry but they also need to be light, padded (and avoid pressure points) and yet give you the dexterity to operate STIs (including electronic shifting) - they often also include reflective elements. Additionally, in any one year, a cycling glove is likely to see more service than a ski glove. Most people do a week's skiing - a couple if they're lucky. Much of that time won't actually be skiing.

A lot of "ski" gloves that you see sold cheaply are never intended for skiing but if they call them ski gloves, add a couple of plastic clips, people will buy them. I bet that 95% of "ski" gloves that places like JJB Sports sell never see a ski slope.

TBH, your first point aside (I don't really think that cycling gloves need to do more than ski gloves) I broadly agree with you. But, as I said before, the speeds you encounter skiing are far higher and the temperatures generally lower (though humidity is likely to be lower as well which does make a difference). Maybe ski wear just gets more heavily remaindered than cycle stuff.

It's easy enough to check the manufacturer if you are buying bargain ski gloves to avoid cheap tat. As for function, mine are perfectly fine in terms of the dexterity I need to operate the controls (I'm never really conscious that I'm wearing noticeably big gloves in terms of function but it might be more of an issue with Shimano with the shifters so close together - fine for Campag though). True, there are no reflective elements but that is a neat bonus more than an essential. I'm not really bothered about their weight - tbh, it never occcured to me to worry about it. Compared to having warm hands, weight is a non issue. They are padded and more comfortable than most of the cycling gloves I have. These are they with Sealskins for scale - they are bulky but I need that. I'd try more cycling gloves but they simply aren't up to the job - my circulation just doesn't notice cycling gloves at all!

I've worn them a fair bit now and they show no signs of wear but it is early days yet.

P1100122.jpg
  • Holey Moley, Ralf, they are massive! I sympathise with you that your circulation isn't great - I'm blessed with reasonable circulation and anything above -10c those gloves would boil my hands. If the key requirement is just keeping your hands at s functioning temperature, I can see why you'd wear those massive gloves. I suppose at the temps I'd get away with wearing them I'd be on the MTB anyway. On the road bike I can always get away with the Early Winter gloves on their own.
  • rolf_f
    They are big but they are fine even with DT shifters. And thinking about it, they should work on Shimano because the paddle on Campag isn't a problem for me.

So far they have kept me warm but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be happy after an hour at minus 10 with them. If we get a bad winter, I'll need an active solution! Basically, I'd be crap in Scotland :lol:

The only other solution I'd be interested to try is lobster gloves but I'm reluctant to commit to a pricey purchase for something I have no confidence in (given the wildly optimistic claims of all glove manufacturers!).
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    I have similar ones to Rolf F, took my new PlanetX winters for a test yesterday and i couldn't feel my fingers - had to swap back to the snow gloves before I got home. I know these probably dont compare with top end cycle brands, but value wise the snow gloves do the tricks i need (warmth) for less beer tokens :|
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    +1 on ski gloves. I bought mine two winters ago, paid about £20 (definitely wasn't more). They have a zip on the back of the hand for ventilation if they get too hot, and separate liner gloves. The palms are grippy, and I don't find them too bulky. Very happy with them.
  • I think there must be a group of folk with poor circulation. If I wore ski gloves, my hands would be soaked in sweat.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I think there must be a group of folk with poor circulation. If I wore ski gloves, my hands would be soaked in sweat.

For me, it's either that or late-onset Reynaud's - odd to pull off a thin glove and see 3 pink fingers and 1 white one with minimal sensation. Advantage of a flat-barred winter bike for me is being able to use snowboarding gloves to keep warm
    & still change gear easily. Wondering now about mounting SPD cleats to the underside of an old pair of hiking boots.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think there must be a group of folk with poor circulation. If I wore ski gloves, my hands would be soaked in sweat.

I'm with you MRS - I normally wear Planet X £5 jobbies for anything between 0 and 5 degrees, only when it gets bellow freezing do I bust out the DHB extremes; and then my hands start to sweat.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994

I'm with you MRS - I normally wear Planet X £5 jobbies for anything between 0 and 5 degrees, only when it gets bellow freezing do I bust out the DHB extremes; and then my hands start to sweat.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    Right. Gloves arrived today and are very warm and comfortable.

However, how the fudge do you get the lobsters on when wearing the rest of your gloves?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Right. Gloves arrived today and are very warm and comfortable.

However, how the fudge do you get the lobsters on when wearing the rest of your gloves?

Um - by putting your hands in the holes? :wink:

They are a bit more difficult than normal as the elastic is quite snug but I've never had a problem
  • asprilla
    Snug doesn't cover it.

I can get two fingers from the hand I want to insert and my thumb from the other hand in the elastic and that's it. Getting one on is a struggle and at the moment I'm finding getting the second on almost impossible. I can do it but I can't pull the elastic cuff up properly.

I don't have thick wrists either; I can get my thumb and little finger around them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Hmmm - tighter than mine and my wrists are at least normal thickness
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Snug doesn't cover it.

I can get two fingers from the hand I want to insert and my thumb from the other hand in the elastic and that's it. Getting one on is a struggle and at the moment I'm finding getting the second on almost impossible. I can do it but I can't pull the elastic cuff up properly.

I don't have thick wrists either; I can get my thumb and little finger around them.

You need to woo her a bit more... maybe some wine and a little soft music? Just jamming two fingers and the OTHER thumb in there ain't going to get things started. What happened to romance?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter