Best Winter Gloves

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
I always suffer from cold fingers in the winter and while I've got everything else sussed, yesterday the only thing that was causing me grief was my gloves.

I have some Altura Cresta gloves with gore liners and my fingers were still cold.

Does anyone know of anything better, I really want to be out in all weathers this winter.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    I always suffer from cold fingers in the winter and while I've got everything else sussed, yesterday the only thing that was causing me grief was my gloves.

I have some Altura Cresta gloves with gore liners and my fingers were still cold.

Does anyone know of anything better, I really want to be out in all weathers this winter.

i have used Endura, then Altura with liners but splashed out during the summer on the Assos Winter Glove System when CRC had them for £65(rrp +£130)... the best kit buy I have made. Great gloves.
  • I know a chap that goes out in all weathers and only ever wears thin latex gloves. Never heard him complain of cold hands yet...
    phillipboyd.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    Just bought some Castelli Estremo. My hands are pathetically useless at staying warm, but so far these seem to do the job. Not cheap, but I managed to get them for £48 using the recent 25% off code at Evans.

Review here: http://road.cc/content/review/70196-cas ... emo-gloves
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Although not everyone’s cup of tea, have you try ski gloves, I used them when it gets very cold, feels a bit clumsy but it keeps my hands warmer and been waterproof is a bonus too.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Northwave artics are very warm. 15 quid at je james cycles for 2010 design. from 35.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I've got some giordana sotto-zero gloves that keep my hands warm but after a commute in them my hands feel like they've been in that cow's bum, without the latex gloves! They are far too warm until the seriously cold weather kicks in.
  • antlaff wrote:
    the Assos Winter Glove System when CRC had them for £65(rrp +£130)... the best kit buy I have made. Great gloves.

+1 The Early Winter Glove is just fantastic and does me down to 1 or 2C, then the liner or the lobster to -3C or so and below that, all 3 (-11C is the lowest I've been). Layering is what it's all about.

I recently bought the Assos Fugu glove and, whilst it is good and incredibly light, for it's additional bulk, it's not a lot warmer than the Early Winter. I think it's meant to be more weatherproof but I haven't tested that yet. I think it's also the glove that SealSkinz tried to make but failed miserably at.

Assos 851 windproof material is wonderful stuff.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • £120+ for gloves though.... ouch.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Bit extreme sticking your hands in two cows bums esp on a bike, control maybe an issue!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Needs one of you chaps to make cycling pogies (or adapt some sculling ones).
  • I got the Endura conto condura and there really good, If you long fingers that push right to the tip of the gloves (like me) I'd suggest grabbing some liners as well.
    http://www.wightmountain.com/wordpress/ ... -glove.jpg
  • They're a once in a while thing, for the very coldest days, but I really like my SealSkinz Lobster gloves. Couldn't wear them every day, they're too bulky when shifting, but when it dips well below zero, they're ace.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    heally Hanson lining gloves, about a tender in Evans. extra layer under your normal gloves......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Diluvios were nice and warm this morning.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I'm currently using these:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 20&ID=3023

combined with these (which are good on their own in spring/Autumn):

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =20&ID=676

I have fairly bony hands, long fingers and not brilliant circulation so I tend to feel the cold and this combo has been great down to about -2 so far. Not ridiculously bulky either.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    £120+ for gloves though.... ouch.
    Freezing cold fingers on long rides...bigger ouch.

+1 for the Assos
  • £120+ for gloves though.... ouch.

3 pairs :wink:

£105 here http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/page/ ... ies-gloves

And probably cheaper if you hunt around
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I got myself a pair of Gore Bike Wear Windstopper gloves, and for when it's really cold I have an extra pair of the Gore Bike Wear liner gloves to put on. Haven't had any problems yet. This is for the road bike.

For the hybrid, which I tend to ride more in worse weather, I have a pair of Gore Bike Wear Gore-Tex gloves - again using the liner if it's a bit parky outside. These gloves are too bulky to use on the road bike with it's Ultegra shifters, but are excellent with the hybrid with it's SRAM thumb shifters.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I suffer the same and after a cold cycle wearing my Alturas I thought sod it and nabbed the Assos Fugus while they were 25% off at Ribble.
    They perform as advertised and are cosy above zero and even sub zero with merino liners.
    At £75 they were well worth it and may even be worth it at full price.
    It depends on how much you can afford and what price you put on pain.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Gave the Fugus a proper test last night 2C pouring rain/sleet for most of the hour - I'd say they performed pretty well. Whilst my hands weren't completely warm or totally dry, I was comfortable enough. I'd go for the Glove System, if I were forced to choose, just for its sheer flexibility and adaptability - covers you from whatever temp you find mitts just too cold (and the Early Winters are comfortable a fair bit warmer than that) right down to -10C and below.
  • godders1
    So if you wear two or more pairs of gloves at the same time it's a "glove system"?

Hilarious! :lol:
  • Godders1 wrote:
    So if you wear two or more pairs of gloves at the same time it's a "glove system"?

Not quite... :roll: :wink: The "system" part is a set of gloves designed to work together - sizes, thinknesses, colours. The "hilarious" part is that they work really really well 8) :wink:
  • godders1
    Godders1 wrote:

Not quite... :roll: :wink: The "system" part is a set of gloves designed to work together - sizes, thinknesses, colours. The "hilarious" part is that they work really really well 8) :wink:
    I'm sure they're great (they'd need to be for the money), calling a few pairs of gloves that can be worn together a "system" is wanky though.
  • Godders1 wrote:
    I'm sure they're great (they'd need to be for the money), calling a few pairs of gloves that can be worn together a "system" is wanky though.

I work in "systems engineering" and it's never bothered me that the gloves are called a system. What's a better word? The definitions of a "system" broadly align with the following a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming a unified whole
  • godders1
    It doesn't "bother" me either, I just think it sounds a bit grandiose for a few pairs of gloves.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Godders1 wrote:
    It doesn't "bother" me either, I just think it sounds a bit grandiose for a few pairs of gloves.
    If I am paying £100+ for gloves (and I have done) I damn sure want a 'system' an not just three pairs of associated gloves! :D
  • godders1
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Godders1 wrote:
    If I am paying £100+ for gloves (and I have done) I damn sure want a 'system' an not just three pairs of associated gloves! :D
    :lol:
  • Slightly different take on the problem but I was thinking of getting some bar mitts becuase I'm not entirely convinced that getting better gloves is going to sort the problem of painfully cold hands for me.

I hadn't realised they make bar mitts for push bikes but some else mentioned them being available and so I did a quick google and found a couple of UK suppliers.

They are around £40-£50 so a lot less than some of the other options. Just got to figure out what size I need before ordering them.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    When it gets really cold I go to mittens rather than gloves. Aldi were selling golf versions - I think they were about a fiver and they've kept me warm when there's snow on the ground.
  • cougie wrote:
    When it gets really cold I go to mittens rather than gloves. Aldi were selling golf versions - I think they were about a fiver and they've kept me warm when there's snow on the ground.

That's effectively what lobsters are - mittens with a split down the middle so that you can actually brake and change gear