Chris Froome to lead Team Sky in TdF

Comments

• There is a certain risk that when the Tour comes around the 'new' cycling public will say "oo, its the Tour de France, is Wiggins riding?" and when the response is "no" they will just switch off and forget about it. Hopefully that won't be the case. If Wiggins rides the Giro it may raise the profile in Britain, but unless he's clearly winning it then I doubt it will get as much notice as the Tour last year.

Thats actually a good thing because we dont need momentary, stupid mask & fake burns wearing people that cant see whats great about our sport with or without bradley going for yellow anyway
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    There is a certain risk that when the Tour comes around the 'new' cycling public will say "oo, its the Tour de France, is Wiggins riding?" and when the response is "no" they will just switch off and forget about it. Hopefully that won't be the case. If Wiggins rides the Giro it may raise the profile in Britain, but unless he's clearly winning it then I doubt it will get as much notice as the Tour last year.

Thats actually a good thing because we dont need momentary, stupid mask & fake burns wearing people that cant see whats great about our sport with or without bradley going for yellow anyway

What elitist snobbery. It was a bit of fun, and those fans who you're sneering at had totally enjoyable and memorable experiences by the side of the road in France and/or at the Olympic TT. They're part of a new interest in the sport and at least some of them will be genuinely interested in next year's race. Some have been gee'd up enough to go and fish old bikes out of the shed, or go to a bike shop and buy one, to give cycling a go - not all of them still stick with it, but its better than nothing. And they've not been put off from the sport by the doping revelations.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    +1 RR!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I do like Froome, but it has shown several types over that whenever he has tried to lead races on his own last year he has always lacked the mental discipline to manage his efforts. He has got it in his head that he can be this realyl punchy rider on the mountains when the onyl time he has ever shown himself to be a top climber has been with Wiggins keeping him on a rope.

I just think where he knows he is a stronger ridr then Wiggins on the steep stuff. He always blows whenever he tries massive changes of paces it has always ended in tears. This will surely be somethign sky will work on if he is keen to take on board. It certainly is something Sky are aware of. They have said since the moment he joined he has got his massive engine that always tries just that little too hard. If Wiggins really does ride the tour for Froome. Froome will be strong otherwise he is in danger of beleiving his own hype and trying to do more then he is capable of.

It took Wiggins awhile to really see that he has to ride his own race up the mountains. Froome needs to do that albeit as a slightly faster pace then Wiggins but not by such a huge margin as he believes.

He can win the Tour if he uses the power he has and not go beyond that.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Neale1978 wrote:

What elitist snobbery. It was a bit of fun, and those fans who you're sneering at had totally enjoyable and memorable experiences by the side of the road in France and/or at the Olympic TT. They're part of a new interest in the sport and at least some of them will be genuinely interested in next year's race. Some have been gee'd up enough to go and fish old bikes out of the shed, or go to a bike shop and buy one, to give cycling a go - not all of them still stick with it, but its better than nothing. And they've not been put off from the sport by the doping revelations.
    I used to be a hardcore F1 fan and post on an F1 forum. I remember when Jenson Button had a good year in 2004 and brought a load of glory hunting British fans with him who'd never watched a race before. The forum was full of fans who had mostly started out as glory hunting Mansell/Hill/Irvine fans but had found a sport they enjoyed and stuck around complaining about this new influx of fans who didn't know what they were talking about. The same thing happened with Hamilton in 2007/2008.

It's the way spectator sports work. The news coverage and the story of someone from your own country doing well piques your interest and attracts you to the sport. A lot of people lose interest once their hero fades away, but a good amount come to appreciate the sport for more than just that and stick around as fans.
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    There is a certain risk that when the Tour comes around the 'new' cycling public will say "oo, its the Tour de France, is Wiggins riding?" and when the response is "no" they will just switch off and forget about it. Hopefully that won't be the case. If Wiggins rides the Giro it may raise the profile in Britain, but unless he's clearly winning it then I doubt it will get as much notice as the Tour last year.

Apologies. I dident realise you had a mask too. Enjoy it but there is a lot more to cycling than that. Thats what i was getting at. Sometimes there is a fine line between fun and the ridiculous
  • Was looking forward to seeing Contador vs Wiggins.

Fully fit Froome vs fully fit Contador will be good also. I'm very interested to see what happens when a top Sky rider with the huge support, marginal gains, huge money and scientific approach compares to pure talent and race-honed tactics.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    See Look LL, this is where the whole story has nt been told...

"Pure Talent" can come from many sources, genetics, training, grit and determination, and out of a....
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:
    See Look LL, this is where the whole story has nt been told...

"Pure Talent" can come from many sources, genetics, training, grit and determination, and out of a....

Suitcase of courage?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    Neale1978 wrote:

Apologies. I dident realise you had a mask too. Enjoy it but there is a lot more to cycling than that. Thats what i was getting at. Sometimes there is a fine line between fun and the ridiculous

Dear me. I'll bear that in mind when I'm looking back at the photos I took at Paris-Roubaix in 05 or the ones from the 09 Tour.

Tip for you, gratis: dont be any more of a prat than you're already showing yourself to be

Fully fit Froome vs fully fit Contador will be good also. I'm very interested to see what happens when a top Sky rider with the huge support, marginal gains, huge money and scientific approach compares to pure talent and race-honed tactics.

Man v. Steak

Frenchie, I'd be interested in how much Sexi-Tinki's budget has increased for 2013 with Tinkoff's money. Bertie's the highest paid cyclist in the sport, and they've been VERY active in the transfer market, and far from centred around young developing (and cheap) talent - the likes of Nico Roche wont have moved over for tuppence. I will bet Tinkoff is chucking wads of extra cash Riis's way.
  • Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    edited November 2012
    dear me. I'll bear that in mind when I'm looking back at the photos I took at Paris-Roubaix in 05 or the ones from the 09 Tour.

Tip for you, gratis: dont be any more of a prat than you're already showing yourself to be

I dident even bring the fans into it to start with but just tried to put across (because it had been brought up):

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST GENUINE FANS OF CYCLING BUT I DISLIKE MASKS AND STICK ON SIDEBURNS = (gimmicks)

Some fans are a pain in the a***. An unfortunate truth
  • Saxo are setting up a development team and any injection of cash will be negligible compared to Sky's budget not to mention the difference in back up and approach.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    Saxo are setting up a development team and any injection of cash will be negligible compared to Sky's budget not to mention the difference in back up and approach.

Hmm...I think you and I have to disagree on the injection of cash issue. Tinkoff doesnt strike me as a guy who wants the team he's sponsoring to be runners-up...whatever that takes...and the team's salary bill WILL have gone up, no question.

EDIT: tell you one thing, though. If Sexi-Tinki dont get the licence, Bertie's going to be doing A LOT of racing next year - wildcard invites (and I dont just mean the Tour) are going to be heavily dependent on him racing.
  • ddraver
    Neale1978 wrote:
    Some fans are appauling snobs. An unfortunate truth

FTFY

(Wow I feel so Bottom Bracketish - Cleat and cooldad would be so proud...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Neale1978 wrote:
    Some fans are appauling snobs. An unfortunate truth

FTFY

(Wow I feel so Bottom Bracketish - Cleat and cooldad would be so proud...)

Wild thing.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I can't stand those fans at Test Cricket in fancy dress going about enjoying themselves either...how dare they.
  • nathancom wrote:
    I can't stand those fans at Test Cricket in fancy dress going about enjoying themselves either...how dare they.

Frankly if you're not wearing a blazer, an MCC tie and a panama (latter optional), and carrying a copy of the Times or Telegraph at all times, you have no right to be there.
  • nathancom wrote:

I genuinely can't. It's just attention seeking. What can dressing as bananaman possibly add to your enjoyment of cricket?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Same goes for musical instruments at sporting events. When I rule the world, bringing a trumpet through a turnstile will be a life ban.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Do the fans at cricket matches ever directly affect the game? No, never

Iam not a snob, Iam realistic
    I genuinely can't. It's just attention seeking. What can dressing as bananaman possibly add to your enjoyment of cricket?

lolz
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    But whether or not you like the Barmy Army, they are undeniably dedicated to following the England team - and certainly some of the players talk of the lift the BA fans give them when they're on the pitch.

Doesnt mean to say they are - or have to be - liked by everyone.

But to hope that fans who do dress up - whether its as a banana or a mask or stick-on-sideys - will just feck off and leave us 'true' fans to the particular sport, is just..snooty.

And besides, the Norwegian cycling fans have their viking helmets and plaited wigs - want to issue a fatwah on them too?
  • ddraver
    edited November 2012
    Again, I think the Barmy Army are exactly the kick up the ass cricket needs - The IPL is doing the same!

Ever watched on of those on ITV4 - Once again the Aussies are showing the way! They make the 12th Man records (sic) look positively respectful!
    - @ddraver
  • But to hope that fans who do dress up - whether its as a banana or a mask or stick-on-sideys - will just feck off and leave us 'true' fans to the particular sport, is just.. sexy

Iam certain iam not the only one. Sometimes people just dont like the truth :mrgreen:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited November 2012
    Neale1978 wrote:
    But to hope that fans who do dress up - whether its as a banana or a mask or stick-on-sideys - will just feck off and leave us 'true' fans to the particular sport, is just.. sexy

Iam certain iam not the only one. Sometimes people just dont like the truth :mrgreen:
    What, the truth that there are a lot of cyclists / cycling fans who are dyed-in-the-wool snobs who are totally furious that their precious, elitist sport is getting popular? :roll:
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    But to hope that fans who do dress up - whether its as a banana or a mask or stick-on-sideys - will just feck off and leave us 'true' fans to the particular sport, is just.. sexy

Yawns...nothing like an open mind...
  • Yawns...nothing like an open mind...

To accept my point of view, great
  • Neale1978 wrote:
    Yawns...nothing like an open mind...

To accept my point of view, great

You really do need to learn to debate a little better because at the moment year 5-level isnt getting you very far.
  • Its just a bit of humour, try it sometime. Plus its a forum, not my real day to day life

Bye for now x