Tactic for Hillingdon 4th Cat

Comments

• Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    It's also bad aesthetically.

If only we could fine riders for sprinting on the hoods :wink:
  • Setarkos
    Setarkos Posts: 239
    You could if you made a rule about it ;)

(Not saying, you should)
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I've seen that widely referred to as "invisible aero bars" and I really don't see how it's a problem if you're on the front. Obviously, don't do it in the bunch as you're miles from the brakes but it IS faster than the drops - you can get much narrower if you tuck your elbows in.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Fair point Jim, I've never managed more watts in the drops than on the hoods, but probably other reasons for that.

Re invisible aero bars, I've been guilty of it before, but its just not safe, especially on a circuit like hillingdon where its all happening, and most of the people riding have zero bike handling skills!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Dess1e
    I've seen that widely referred to as "invisible aero bars" and I really don't see how it's a problem if you're on the front. Obviously, don't do it in the bunch as you're miles from the brakes but it IS faster than the drops - you can get much narrower if you tuck your elbows in.

The riders in the photos are only a few yards off the front, if for any reason (fatigue, wind, bag blown on the course etc.) they need greater control and can't, the riders behind have nowhere to go. Similarly first aiders would prefer not to treat any riders, if if they come off on their own.
  • Dess1e
    In fact the rider from the 4th cat race is compounding his indiscretion by having his head down as well.
  • A write up on Velo UK said my work was over for the day after winning the Prime, and then they have listed me as 55th place. Ouch. I've emailed the organisers, and I know it's only measly 6 points, but hope they rectify it cos I busted a bollock on the front.
  • Setarkos
    A write up on Velo UK said my work was over for the day after winning the Prime, and then they have listed me as 55th place. Ouch. I've emailed the organisers, and I know it's only measly 6 points, but hope they rectify it cos I busted a bollock on the front.

Weird but the pictures clearly show you in 4th before the finish, so I don't think it'll be a problem to get it straight.
  • Setarkos wrote:
    DIdn't realise the field got that destroyed on the last hundred meters...
    ch-638x426.jpg
    Adding to the topic of handle-bar positions; why didn't they sprint in their drops???

So when are you guys going to start actually sprinting? ;)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Re invisible aero bars, I've been guilty of it before!

http://firstseasoncycling.blogspot.co.uk/

:lol:
  • Setarkos
    edited December 2012
    So when are you guys going to start actually sprinting? ;)

I'm still waiting for the video. In my memories it felt more like sprinting than it looks on the pictures :D :P

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gVACO1LXtg
    It doesn't look like much of a sprint indeed. I head 57km/h on the reading, thought that wasn't bad considering there was no lead out, slight incline and slight head wind... (and my non-aero position ;))
  • Setarkos
    How quickly so I get my 3rd cat license now? Do I get it this week and if not and I want to race next Saturday, what do I do?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Thanks Mat, I might change that, makes me look fat :D

Setarkos - You should get it very soon, probably before end of next week. It doesn't matter, you just tell them that the new one is in the post, nothing changes, so if you give your BC number that is all they will need.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Setarkos wrote:
    How quickly so I get my 3rd cat license now? Do I get it this week and if not and I want to race next Saturday, what do I do?

You race 3rd cat, Lucy will know you won and the 3rd cat will be in the post. you should get it pretty quick though.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Setarkos
    Perfect. Cheers
  • Setarkos wrote:
    ch-638x426.jpg
    Adding to the topic of handle-bar positions; why didn't they sprint in their drops???

more wannabee cancellaras?
  • Setarkos
    Might have cost him the bronze in 2011...

cancellara.jpg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm not going to criticise the winter series.... but it looks wrong racing with so many clothes on!
  • maryka wrote:
    What's with the twits riding with their arms draped over the bars?

Earth to idiot riders, you are not and never will be Cancellara. Learn to get aero in the drops or go take up TTing.

Of course you know the answer, maryka: They're blokes indulging in a bit of fantasy-cycling. These guys should be in sportives if they want to do that, not on a circuit with a reputation for crashes in lower cat races.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    maryka wrote:
    What's with the twits riding with their arms draped over the bars?

Earth to idiot riders, you are not and never will be Cancellara. Learn to get aero in the drops or go take up TTing.

Of course you know the answer, maryka: They're blokes indulging in a bit of fantasy-cycling. These guys should be in sportives if they want to do that, not on a circuit with a reputation for crashes in lower cat races.

I've actually emailed links to the pics to the BC Central region folks so that they can warn their comms to be on the lookout for wannabes. I wish BC would establish some proper disciplinary procedures for this kind of stuff, just DQ them or fine them or whatever, but do it regularly and consistently. The problem is, BC doesn't want to offend anyone or god forbid scare them off from renewing their membership and racing license, so nothing really gets done about it til someone causes carnage in a crash. I'm sure if I were to DQ people for riding like that I would be viewed as the meanest commissaire around. :lol:

Pics like this just display a complete lack of respect for rules, safety of the bunch and the officials. These guys think they are cool and classy riders when in fact it's the opposite.
  • Setarkos
    Do you want to sanction that in 4th Cat only or also in 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and for Elite riders...?
  • bigmat
    maryka wrote:

Pics like this just display a complete lack of respect for rules, safety of the bunch and the officials. These guys think they are cool and classy riders when in fact it's the opposite.

Which rules, just out of interest? Maybe part of the problem is that nobody is telling people what is / isn't acceptable. I certainly wouldn't ride like that, but if I did and was then DQ'd as a result I'd be pretty hacked off. On the other hand, if somebody had a quiet word and explained what the problem was then I wouldn't do it again.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    BigMat wrote:
    maryka wrote:

Which rules, just out of interest? Maybe part of the problem is that nobody is telling people what is / isn't acceptable. I certainly wouldn't ride like that, but if I did and was then DQ'd as a result I'd be pretty hacked off. On the other hand, if somebody had a quiet word and explained what the problem was then I wouldn't do it again.

I will have a look through the rulebook for the official wording, but when a comm briefs the bunch with a warning "no invisible aerobars" and then someone specifically defies that in order to try and look cool in front of the photographer, that's worth a DQ I'd say. :wink:
  • bigmat
    maryka wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    maryka wrote:

I will have a look through the rulebook for the official wording, but when a comm briefs the bunch with a warning "no invisible aerobars" and then someone specifically defies that in order to try and look cool in front of the photographer, that's worth a DQ I'd say. :wink:

I'd have no issue in those circumstances, I guess what I was alluding to is the fact that you could be DQ'd for doing something "wrong" that you didn't even realise was wrong (due to inexperience / stupidity / difference of opinion). Is there anything anywhere that sets out a series of do's and dont's? Or (more likely I guess) is there a general "ride in a safe and appropriate manner" type thing - which introduces an element of subjectivity?
  • Hi,

iv'e entered the 4th cat race at hillingdon on the 29th, my first one ever.
    Coming from a sportive/TT background iv'e never even seen a crit race let alone raced one so i'm not sure what to expect. If you don't mind, I have a few practical questions.

How early should I arrive?

Iv'e read that you can go on the track to warm up first, are there any rules/etiquette on how/when to do this or is it just open access?

On a club run, when I get out of the saddle, I ease out on the down stroke so my rear wheel doesnt shoot back at the rider behind, is it the same in a race or is there less consideration being a race after all?

Looking at the winning 4th cat time from last week (57:20/35km) I have done almost the same distance/time this year on a TT with 530m of climbing, here http://app.strava.com/activities/20448071

Although i'm not as fit right now as I was then, I reckon I could still be competitive but what advice would you give for tactics/approach given i'm not experienced at such close quarter racing?

thanks,

BM
  • Setarkos
    Get there 30mins before start, do 2-3laps immediately before the start.
    Stay in the first Top15 at all times and hold your line.
    A successful attack is going to be unlikely, I would sit near the front and if you see a promising attack, try to bridge but attack hard to avoid having someone on your tail. If you can make out other strong riders, you could try to talk to them. You can also try to provoke attacks if you take the lead and slightly slow down the pace.
    Save some energy for the last few laps (assuming the bunch stays together)
    Get into the Top10 with 2 laps to go and in the last lap use the incline away from the clubhouse to get to ~5th position. Stay to the right in the S bends and try your best in the sprint. If you position yourself well at the end you will most likely finish in the Top10.

Alternative tactic for the last lap. If you are good at cornering (and provided you got the legs), you can take the lead in the last lap and hammer it up the incline and through the S bends, you're not likely to get the win but the field will be so strung out that not many people will come around you and you have a good chance finishing in the Top5.

Disclaimer: All this is assuming they still go counter-clockwise...
  • Dess1e
    If driving, aim to get there an hour before hand and park in the Goals car park (do not leave anything on view). This will allow you time to sign on and get changed. You will not be allowed on the circuit until the previous event is cleared, but there is normally a 10min gap between races. You can warm up in the road outside the circuit if there is another event still in progress, but keep an eye on the time.. Give as much consideration for riders as you would any other cycle event.

Comparing the pace to a TT is not a good comparison, there will be a lot more variation in the pace.

Enjoy
  • Setarkos wrote:
    Get there 30mins before start, do 2-3laps immediately before the start.
    Stay in the first Top15 at all times and hold your line.
    A successful attack is going to be unlikely, I would sit near the front and if you see a promising attack, try to bridge but attack hard to avoid having someone on your tail. If you can make out other strong riders, you could try to talk to them. You can also try to provoke attacks if you take the lead and slightly slow down the pace.
    Save some energy for the last few laps (assuming the bunch stays together)
    Get into the Top10 with 2 laps to go and in the last lap use the incline away from the clubhouse to get to ~5th position. Stay to the right in the S bends and try your best in the sprint. If you position yourself well at the end you will most likely finish in the Top10.

Alternative tactic for the last lap. If you are good at cornering (and provided you got the legs), you can take the lead in the last lap and hammer it up the incline and through the S bends, you're not likely to get the win but the field will be so strung out that not many people will come around you and you have a good chance finishing in the Top5.

Disclaimer: All this is assuming they still go counter-clockwise...

Oh, so thats how its done - I've been slogging around in the bunch and finishing nowhere - this is good advice above
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Setarkos wrote:
    ch-638x426.jpg

more wannabee cancellaras?

Worst...sprinting...positions....ever. They look like they are crossing the line with 5 laps to go.