Project budget blower

1235»

Comments

• trigger118
    trigger118 Posts: 191
    I was thinking too low rather than too high, i don't know what the min/max pressures are but it looks like the pressures were too low to me and that meant the rim was bottoming out on the rocks, or at least i think its fair to say more pressure would have helped it.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Are you particularly heavy?
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    njee20 wrote:
    Are you particularly heavy?

Nope, 10.5st, so even going by tubeless standards, that tyre, with that pressure, and my weight, should be 100% fine
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I agree.
  • JMcP92
    njee20 wrote:
    I agree.

Seems so - I've e-mailed Superstar in hope of a warranty replacement for them. I don't have an issue with them, they're good for the riding I do, so I'll happily have another one, just a matter of getting it now and swapping tyres.

From what I hear, the folks at Superstar are pretty good with things like this, so hopefully all shall be well :)
  • trigger118
    trigger118 Posts: 191
    njee20 wrote:
    I agree.

Absolutely,

There's no way that should have happened, you've just got me curious as to why it did!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    No way should that have happened! Mine have done thousands of miles and haven't needed a single tweak since an initial break in re-tension, they have been spot on and have done a few DH days and I weigh 2 stone more than you. What the hell caused that much damage I don't know! I pinch flatted a tube at Antor stiniog on mine so hard I expected there to be alteast a small ding, but nothing!
  • JMcP92
    Again, I too am somewhat surprised but I'm just getting ahold of superstar in hope of a warranty replacement then I can get out on the bike :)
  • JMcP92
    So, I got a response from Superstar, and I must say I'm rather disappointed.

What they said is (despite saying similar to them as I have said on here as for context of how it occured) that clearly it was damage from a rock edge and under-pumped tyres, and despite another e-mail explaining the situation, the fact all was well with them and the terrain they were riding was rather sedate, they refused to accept my story and simply said it's not a warranty problem.

Again, must be honest, very disappointing and I had expected better, I can understand they can draw a conclusion from damage shown, but I can quite happily admit wrong doing, if I rode AM courses on it and it broke, it'd be on me and I wouldn't of contacted them in the first place, but that was not the case, so I contacted them to little resolution.

The resolution they did offer was to replace the rim under a "crash replacement scheme" which is a scheme running discounted rims and replacing them where damaged, sounded promising, but unfortunately not.
    Their offer to replace the Crest with simply another Crest was £75, which when the original wheelset cost £200 and the spokes/nipples need replacing too, is not a very good offer. Not to mention I can get a Crest on CRC for £63.

Like I say, disappointing, but not sure what else I can do now but let me wallet take the hit for something that is (as far as I'm concerned) no fault of mine
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    £75 for the rim and presumable re-building is a fair deal, technically it isn't their product that failed, it's a Stan's rim, not superstar's own. Had it been one of their own, you might have had more luck, but tbh its not their build at fault, any rim can take a ding on any trail. How the hell you managed to do the damage you did christ knows, but that's just general wear and tear that goes with riding an mtb. Just have to take the hit I'm afraid, shit happens at the end of the day!