Project budget blower

Comments

• mikewoods
    mikewoods Posts: 135
    Tubeless all the way - I use stans flows, before that was running some DT Swiss rims tubeless - it's surprising the difference you will notice.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    mikewoods wrote:
    Tubeless all the way - I use stans flows, before that was running some DT Swiss rims tubeless - it's surprising the difference you will notice.

1 for tubeless - any other calls? Looking for opinions as I've only ever ridden tubes.

Any give me a pros and cons list etc.?
  • MrPhil
    MrPhil Posts: 57
    Nice build.

If your fitting a front mech do not go for a BB mounted one, I run a XT in 34.9 size (below link)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20685

Fit ment of the headset on mine took a little feathering with emory cloth, not by much though. If it feels to tight watch out as the carbon can split.

I'm 6ft and run a 18inch frame, 710 bars with a 50mm x 25degree stem and 150mm forks. Does most things well. Only on very steep climbs it is a pain.

Look forward to your progress.
  • JMcP92
    A small update -

Easton Monkeybar - 685mm, Lo 20mm rise

Gravity Gap seatpost - 400mm

Seatpost shim, 34.9 - 31.6

imag0300c.jpg

More to come soon :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tubeless all the way.

Pros:
    - saves weight if you do it properly (not ghetto)
    - lower pressure means more grip
    - far fewer punctures

Cons:
    - changes tyres can take slightly longer
    - tyres can be more expensive or a bit more limited in what works

Why have you bought a seatpost shim? Surely it's not a 34.9 seatpost in a C456, that's a Scott size.

As for saddles I always rated Spesh Phenom SLs, very comfy and nice and light. Now use a Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon which is very good, and is wearing better than the Phenoms tended to. Not cheap though.
  • JMcP92
    Thanks for the opinion on Tubeless, it's still something I need to spend time looking into :)

As for the post, I just went to look at the On One site to show you how clearly it say it's a 34.9mm post, then I suddenly realise it's a 31.6mm post and a 34.9mm clamp -_-
    Oh well, doesn't much matter, the post is a 31.6 so it'll fit anyway, just wasted money on a shim but really not a big deal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    31.6mm seat tube from on-ones webby http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456P/o ... _456_frame

EDIT - post overlap due to research/Cup of Tea time
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JMcP92 wrote:
    Thanks for the opinion on Tubeless, it's still something I need to spend time looking into :)

As for the post, I just went to look at the On One site to show you how clearly it say it's a 34.9mm post, then I suddenly realise it's a 31.6mm post and a 34.9mm clamp -_-
    Oh well, doesn't much matter, the post is a 31.6 so it'll fit anyway, just wasted money on a shim but really not a big deal.

Sorry JMcP92, I was so interested in the pro's and cons of a shim with carbon that I totally missed you were getting the wrong size ;D can you send the shim back?

Can't go wrong with an On One Big Nose - a veritable bargain of a saddle.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • JMcP92
    Aye, I can easy send the shim back if needbe, I make sure to keep all the receipts etc. with all the things I buy.

In addition, wheels, stem etc. have now arrived, next time I'm home I'll get a picture for you guys :)
  • JMcP92 wrote:
    Aye, I can easy send the shim back if needbe, I make sure to keep all the receipts etc. with all the things I buy.

In addition, wheels, stem etc. have now arrived, next time I'm home I'll get a picture for you guys :)

Ooh I look forward to seeing the result so far.

• JMcP92
    It would seem a parcel has arrived from Superstar components :)
    (Sorry for yet more shady phone pics)

First off, wheels, look great and very light,
    Stans Crest on Switch Evo 2 hubs:

imag0304gx.jpg

imag0306zt.jpg

Then we have the axle, front only at the moment, rear was out of stock, 9mm QR:

imag0307vp.jpg

Then the stem, 50mm Superstar Zephir CNC:

imag0309x.jpg

Then I got bored, so had a rough mock up, and yes, I'm aware the head angle is too slack (no headset in there :P ) and the rear wheel is help on with a screwdriver :P

imag0308of.jpg

Looking good for a start :) It's getting there
    :D
  • JMcP92
    ....I posted this, play with the building a little more, sat on my computer and did a bad thing, went back on the Superstar website... goodbye money

On another note, now I'm to look at tyres, I'm gonna go tubeless, but need something that will go anywhere off-road but be perfectly good on-road, can anyone make recommendations?
  • JMcP92
    I have more bits!

Today arrived:
    Brake rotors + bolts
    Brake adaptor
    Headset

I also got a hold of a camera rather than my phone, it's not great, but it's a lot better than before, have many pictures!

p1010157ca.jpg

p1010160p.jpg

p1010161yd.jpg

p1010162kc.jpg

p1010171tr.jpg

p1010173lo.jpg

p1010174vm.jpg

p1010175su.jpg

More pics next post:
  • JMcP92
    p1010176o.jpg

p1010177y.jpg

p1010178d.jpg

p1010179p.jpg

p1010180c.jpg

p1010181v.jpg

Now I come to an issue I have, the headset is a 1.5" to a 1.1/8", yet it refuses to go to the bottom of the fork. That is the lower part of the headset with the bearing in it etc. but it won't clear any further than this, which leave a good 6mm+ diamiter it isn't clearing. Am I being very stupid or is something wrong here?

p1010182w.jpg

I've made a decision on tyres and should have them soon, the remaining list is shortening:
    Tyres
    Saddle
    Crankset
    BB
    Front/rear derailieurs
    Grips
    Cable outers

Not long now :)
    John
  • Looks like you bought a reducer headset rather than a tapered one...
  • JMcP92
    It may seem so, didn't even know they existed, not my brightest move clearly. Regardless, I'll e-mail superstar in the morning and have it sent back and exchanged for the right thing. Stupid of me, but I suppose worse things have happened
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Are they alloy rotor bolts? :shock: Not what I would choose on such a high stress part....

The headset looks like a full 1.5 reducer headset so the top cup won't the frame either.
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    edited January 2013
    Yep, you got a tapered fork steerer so need a tapered bottom cup that's 49.6mm. Check the OnOne website for the right ones and then go back to SS if you like their products. Mine are 11/8 forks so I have tapered bottom cup with a reducer - I think :)

Lawman - can I ask what is wrong with those rotor bolts? They look like the usual superstar colour jobs but are they not very good? I was going to get some ordered later in gold, and fit them with a bit of superglue ;D should I not bother?

• JMcP92
    lawman wrote:
    Are they alloy rotor bolts? :shock: Not what I would choose on such a high stress part....

The headset looks like a full 1.5 reducer headset so the top cup won't the frame either.

Forged steel ;)

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=547
  • JMcP92
    Hey folks,

Next up will be cranls and so on, as for a cranks, looking for an opinion.

I'm running 10sp Shimano kit, so I'm looking at this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67199

Does anyone have any other recommendations of good 10sp stuff at a good price, RaceFace, FSA etc. or anything else worth looking at?
  • bit cheaper her when you factor in the discount.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... inset.html
  • njee20
    So you have a Revelation XX World Cup fork, but an HG50 cassette? Slightly odd choice.
    Are they alloy rotor bolts? Not what I would choose on such a high stress part....

Ashima do alloy rotor bolts - I use them. They're alright, not broken one yet. The heads are incredibly soft though (by alloy bolt standards).
  • njee20 wrote:
    So you have a Revelation XX World Cup fork, but an HG50 cassette? Slightly odd choice.

I don't get the correlation? Is this cassette particularly heavy or something? Or is the cassette comparatively cheap in relation to the top end forks he's chosen?
    Are they alloy rotor bolts? Not what I would choose on such a high stress part....

Ashima do alloy rotor bolts - I use them. They're alright, not broken one yet. The heads are incredibly soft though (by alloy bolt standards).

I've never heard of Superstar rotor bolts failing? Its a cheap replacement at £5. I'm not picking or doubting your knowledge but I would imagine JMcP92 would appreciate and benefit some further thoughts based on your experience and not just questioning his choices?

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    The Superstar rotor bolts are anodised steel.

And a tip for getting tyres onto those rims - get rid of the Superstar rimtape and use a wrap of electrical tape (if you're using tubes). The tape is too thick to allow the tyre bead to sit in the groove so you can get the tyre on!
  • njee20
    I don't get the correlation? Is this cassette particularly heavy or something? Or is the cassette comparatively cheap in relation to the top end forks he's chosen?

Exactly - he could've saved £300 on the forks and saved more weight spending £20 extra on the cassette! Seems a peculiar choice
    I've never heard of Superstar rotor bolts failing? Its a cheap replacement at £5. I'm not picking or doubting your knowledge but I would imagine JMcP92 would appreciate and benefit some further thoughts based on your experience and not just questioning his choices?

Who mentioned SS rotor bolts? - I added to Lawman's comments about alloy rotor bolts, that Ashima make them but they're a little weak. My comment on the forks was inquisitive, nothing wrong with what he's chosen at all, I'm just intrigued by it. Alright?
  • Greer_ wrote:

You cannot anodise steel :roll:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Greer_ wrote:

You cannot anodise steel :roll:

Oops - misread it!
    Superstar wrote:
    Special anodised look coating to jazz up your rotors.
  • JMcP92
    njee20 wrote:
    Exactly - he could've saved £300 on the forks and saved more weight spending £20 extra on the cassette! Seems a peculiar choice

Gotta disagree. Shimano specs tell me my HG62 cassette weights 352g, the XT weights 331g, at the time I bought it the XT was £30 more and I'm quite aware I won't notice any performance difference, so decided to save the £30.
    As for the fork, I was happier to spend more cash on the fork cos I know I was getting a very good quality product, light, strong and I got it at a great price. I paid less for that XX world cup than I could of paid for the RTC3 of any of the other revelation brands. Got an awesome fork brand new for little money. Question it if you wish but I wasn't gonna turn down a great offer
  • njee20
    Like I said, wasn't questioning, I was intrigued, and that's the reason behind it.

That said... I thought the HG62 was more like 450g.
  • JMcP92
    njee20 wrote:
    That said... I thought the HG62 was more like 450g.

Couldn't tell you to be exact, would check my own to be clear, but parts are stored at parents house, I'm in a student flat, bike won't be with me till it's complete, so can't check.

Anyway, today I spent too much money and something incredibly awesome but painfully expensive, pretty standard for me. Was gonna go out for lunch, but given that big blown to my wallet, I'll be eating in for the next 3 months :P
    Give you all an update next I'm home to get pictures :)

As for the headset, contacting Superstar, it's all being sent back etc. today/tomorrow and Superstar will change it for the correct one.

Update soon ;)