Proposed changes to Swinley Forest

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Red officially opens on Saturday. Train planned again probably in the morning.
    Now planned. 10am Saturday from the wooden roof thing, again on Sunday time to be finalised.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Awesome, thanks for keeping us updated
    To find flow one must first quiet the common sense, he who questions his approach will find wrong answer on landing
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Red officially opens on Saturday. Train planned again probably in the morning.
    Now planned. 10am Saturday from the wooden roof thing, again on Sunday time to be finalised.

I think Sundays going to be our only free day out. I'll keep an eye out in 'Londons calling' although I suspect we'll need to be there around 8.30 so we may miss the main train.

PS - the link from blue to red, where is that? Is that from stickler to tank traps??

Cheers!
  • Lars1974
    Lars1974 Posts: 105
    Hi guys,

I have been to the new Swinley twice!

Did the Blue trail now about 5 times and the red once.
    Here are my thoughts:

Blue trail - is nicely flowing and fun, although not very difficult! However i did manage to get a sub 30min lap in on saturday and with more speed comes more fun!

Red trail - it mainly is trails i always used to ride. I dont like the fact that one of my favourite section is now the opposite way round than i always did it and i think i prefer it the old way round!

But generally I still enjoy Swinley! Lots of folk there over the last weekend and its good to see kids and more woman on the trails. Also etiquette on the trails some fine! No one came the wrong way and slower riders let aster pass with ease!

So all in all! nice one Swinley!
    Lars
  • Went along yesterday and LOVED IT!

Now my trail of choice over Forest of Dean and Cannock
    To find flow one must first quiet the common sense, he who questions his approach will find wrong answer on landing
  • valheru
    valheru Posts: 87
    Had my first blast round the new trails on Sunday, and considering the amount of rain over night, i was really impressed. Most of the old trails i could see were unrideable, and the new stuff was fine, so a big improvement straight away. I think the blue is really good, a lot of new trails and probably the right level for most blues i have ridden. The red seems to be no different to the blue in technicality - except for deer stalker which is almost exactly the same as is was anyway. I wish the designers could take a look at Cannock for what can be done as far as drop offs and rock gardens to make a red more interesting (where there is not lots of natural gradient).

So overall, considering the weather and time they had, the designers have done a great job. I really hope that there will be a move to make the red section more interesting. I did however come across the most amount of riders without helmets i have ever seen at a trail centre, i didn't notice any signs recommending them which might be a good idea.

I didn't bother going across to corkscrew - i presume the boundary is the bench - near satan's grotto (which is currently closed) - where you can legally ride unmanaged trails again.
  • cooldad
    There will be some gnarrlier stuff built in the freeride area, which will be on the slope opposite the jump gulley.
    But you can't bring anything into Swinley that isn't there already so no rocks. There is the massive rock garden on Stickler, all both rocks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • valheru
    I didn't realise there is a limit on rock importing! (incidentally i like the rocks on Stickler - though i think its more a drop off) - also Stickler is on the blue !!

Drop-offs are more typically done using logs so that should be acceptable in Swinley!!
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Not sure if it's a technical feature but I've had a few close scrapes on some of the blue downhill sections with joggers. They seemed to be p!ssed off that rider after rider was almost running them off their new purpose built running track. I was going to point out they may be better off running on the main fire roads but I couldn't be bothered getting into an argument at 9am.
  • valheru
    Especially on the earlier parts of the blue i followed BMXs/jump bikes/halford specials/racing bikes - all without helmets - someone i talked to said they had seen a tandem!

One chap on a halford special 'downhill' bike was wearing shin and knee protectors but no helmet - i presume his priority list was probably realistic for him.
  • cooldad
    I have a friend in SA who is a semi pro MTB tandem racer. She'll leave me for dead over most rides.
    Although her 'engine' is a monster guy with legs as thick as my body, which isn't particularly thin.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    valheru wrote:
    Had my first blast round the new trails on Sunday, and considering the amount of rain over night, i was really impressed. Most of the old trails i could see were unrideable, and the new stuff was fine, so a big improvement straight away. I think the blue is really good, a lot of new trails and probably the right level for most blues i have ridden. The red seems to be no different to the blue in technicality - except for deer stalker which is almost exactly the same as is was anyway. I wish the designers could take a look at Cannock for what can be done as far as drop offs and rock gardens to make a red more interesting (where there is not lots of natural gradient).

So overall, considering the weather and time they had, the designers have done a great job. I really hope that there will be a move to make the red section more interesting. I did however come across the most amount of riders without helmets i have ever seen at a trail centre, i didn't notice any signs recommending them which might be a good idea.

I didn't bother going across to corkscrew - i presume the boundary is the bench - near satan's grotto (which is currently closed) - where you can legally ride unmanaged trails again.

Was dusty the week before - managed two rides and no hosing off!

Not riden from the lookout yet as I ride in from Lightwater Country Park and tend to join up just before Stickler at the top of three climbs. Trails any good starting from the Lookout? Also is there much built out by Upper & Lower Star Points or just as before?
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • valheru
    Go to the beginning of Tank Traps/end of Stickler, about 20 yards from the exit of Stickler is the continuation of the blue, follow that round to the beginning (near the Lookout), and then follow the start of the blue and that will take you to the end of Stickler again.

The best bit of the blue (imo), is the return back to the Lookout from Stickler, and the start (although watch out for an array of different abilities/ages/bikes etc etc ..).

I don't really follow the 'Upper & Lower Star Points' markers, but the best bit of the red was near the start of Rollercoaster, close to the reservoir, quite steep and fast.
  • cooldad
    Did some blue, then Tank Traps, then forked off at Pips Bench to the Crowthorne side today. A few puddles but not bad, and great fun riding some natural stuff with roots and things again. Then back again to Seagull and back on the blue.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • valheru
    Hoping to do the Crowthorne side on Saturday, glad to hear its drying up. Is anyone still maintaining Corkscrew? - as i guess it will deteriorate fairly quickly if no one does.

Where's the best place to park now that the Lookout is charging? - i guess they are charging for the swimming pool opposite as well ..
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Good point - will Trail Team Swinley do remedial work on Corscrew or just stick to Crown Estate land? Hmm - will ask someone I think...!
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    £2 gets you four hours parking and is more than enough time to do the red + blue route. Hardly seems worth faffing to avoid that.
  • cooldad
    Lots of building to go before any thought of maintenance. The freeride area is still to be built by TITS.
    IMO all the new stuff needs some serious wear - some ruts, expose some roots. Should make it more fun and less like a pavement.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • valheru
    cooldad wrote:
    Lots of building to go before any thought of maintenance. The freeride area is still to be built by TITS.
    IMO all the new stuff needs some serious wear - some ruts, expose some roots. Should make it more fun and less like a pavement.

To some degree you are right; i also found it quite slippery which i think will lesson over time. However i don't exactly want it getting like Dear Stalker with braking ruts (holes) all over the place.
  • BloggingFit
    valheru wrote:
    Go to the beginning of Tank Traps/end of Stickler, about 20 yards from the exit of Stickler is the continuation of the blue, follow that round to the beginning (near the Lookout), and then follow the start of the blue and that will take you to the end of Stickler again.

The best bit of the blue (imo), is the return back to the Lookout from Stickler, and the start (although watch out for an array of different abilities/ages/bikes etc etc ..).

I don't really follow the 'Upper & Lower Star Points' markers, but the best bit of the red was near the start of Rollercoaster, close to the reservoir, quite steep and fast.

Shall have to investigate as there's a fair bit I miss out on. Rollercoaster is great fun but I can imagine some serious "off's" will occur down the line as it's very easy to let the bike get away from under you. Can see the scenario of the bike getting light, snatching a handfull of brakes and heading straight on off the side!
  • valheru
    The red doesn't follow Rollercoaster, but the more technical bit of it starts near the start of Rollercoaster. No reason you can't add Rollercoaster into the ride as (i think!) its military land.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yes, you can still do Rollercoaster as its on MOD land - from the Lower Star Post you can follow a different route that takes you along the edge of MOD land and rollercoaster, then double back to the Eastern edge of the reservoir I think. Looks like all it would miss out is the fire road on the red, which would presumably be no loss.
  • BloggingFit
    valheru wrote:
    The red doesn't follow Rollercoaster, but the more technical bit of it starts near the start of Rollercoaster. No reason you can't add Rollercoaster into the ride as (i think!) its military land.

Must be thinking elsewhere then. Not familair with the names to be honest, just the trails.

Climbing up Surrey Hill to the top with the Reservoir in front and to the right, that's my starting point with The Wall heading straight on and Jumps back around to the right and back down.
  • I wish I knew what you were all talking about so I could do some more exploring lol
  • valheru
    Luckily with the marked trails you don't have to explore much to find the trails anymore!

In the areas you are aloud to explore (MOD land), i suggest you follow the 'London Calling' thread, as they regularly do rides that include those areas.
  • cooldad
    Thread's got a bit rubbish lately as most people use facebook. I try to post stuff but good alternatives
    Swinley FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SwinleyforestMTB/
    London Calling FB page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/londoncallingmtb/
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    Had a good look at ther map for blue and red routes now so makes a bit more sense. Anyone done both loops in the same ride? Assuming ending blue after Stickler and jumping into red for Tank Traps and riding the whole loop and picking up blue again past Stickler for the route back to Lookout.
  • cooldad
    That's the full loop - easy enough. Add in a trip round the Crowthorne end for a bit more fun. Nice and quiet down there, with roots and mud.
    Even did the green as well today for a laugh.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BloggingFit
    Did all of blue yesterday but had to cut short after Tank Traps due to a friend snapping a few spokes at the end but was left impressed overall by the work done. Yes, a lot of the character of the trail floor has gone due to the external reasons put upon the Crown Estate but use of the natural topography is spot on and there are some fun and fast sections.

Being out on a sunny Sunday we did notice a lot of people out of their depth very early on in the Blue route and I can only see this getting worse as the weather improves and work gets about of the trails being completed. A bit annoying but you can anticipate the faster sections at least and hold back until they're clear. More annoying were the very slow riders spreading themselves across the fireroad sections and being oblivious to other riders coming up from behind to pass.

Tricky balance between encouraging people into the sport but at the same time not putting them of by difficult trails and impatience of those more experienced riders who also want to enjoy the faster flowing Blue trails. The issue as I see it is that the grading of the Blue trails is very broad and you could compare some of the trails (fast downhill, bermed sections) to a few of the Red trails later on in terms of how Swinley has been graded.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Been a while since I've been to Swinley.

Did encounter a few folks out of their comfort zone, not their fault since the grading are rather vague as ever.

green-blue-red comes to just shy of 14 miles, a lot of it is rather samey, and if not dull not partially interesting either.

i'm sure i'll be back but probably not as often as I once was.