29ers

1235»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There seems to be plenty of rear wheel clearence on most bikes. Also most of the perceived problems with 29ers have been solved. My new spark doesn't "feel" like anything other than a bike.

Not that many frames have clearance.
    The scale is wrong making it look a LOT worse for the 26" wheeler.

Wrong, or just not starting from 0? Genuine question, not seen the article.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    agg25 wrote:
    So no one else has noticed that one of the graphs in the article is incorrect??? Not even the staff at MBUK it appears. The scale is wrong making it look a LOT worse for the 26" wheeler.
    Yeah I noticed that. The old Al Gore trick won't work on me.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Here's my new experiment, ( I wanted same HA and a short wheel base 140mm travel FS) 27.5" ~ 140mm travel on the rear, 29"~ 140mm on the front. So far it is riding far better than I thought it would (higher BB). Either way I can swap my forks ,front wheel & brakes back onto my Yelli Screamy in under 10 mins . 8)
    p5pb8916552.jpg
    p5pb7970074.jpg
    Don't think, BE:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited November 2012
    And more, from a similar source

http://bikehugger.com/m/view/listen-yal ... e-twenty-6

The image is interesting
    26er-650b-29er.gif
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    njee20 wrote:
    There seems to be plenty of rear wheel clearence on most bikes. Also most of the perceived problems with 29ers have been solved. My new spark doesn't "feel" like anything other than a bike.

Not that many frames have clearance.
    The scale is wrong making it look a LOT worse for the 26" wheeler.

Wrong, or just not starting from 0? Genuine question, not seen the article.

No, it's not just that it's not starting from 0 (which is misleading in itself) but that they marked it incorrectly on the graph. I haven't got it with me at work, but if someone with the article on hand has a look, one of the figures doesn't line up with the scale on the graph. Pretty poor.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Interestingly I just noticed that Ibis certify and will warranty the HD140 for 650b wheels...

If anyone would like to send me some 650b forks, wheels and tyres I'll be happy to give it a go :lol:
  • Wow.
  • njee20
    My perception of clearance is probably influenced by the fact I do mostly xc in very dry conditions so a 2.25 is fat for me. And I rarely have to think about mud clearance.

Yes, mine too (not the dry bit, but 2.25" is big). Not many XC frames have clearance. You'll not manage it with Spesh Epics, Trek Top Fuels, Scott Sparks or Giant Anthems frame for a start. Which is a reasonable proportion of the XC bikes out there...

Not talking a lack of mud clearance, more tyre hitting frame issues!

Hardtails tend to have a bit more clearance admittedly, you can do it in an S-Works, but not a Trek 9.9 or Scott Scale. Don't know about the XTC.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This blog has a list - no idea how accurate it is...

http://650bpalace.blogspot.nl/2011/10/6 ... -list.html

Tempted by a 650b on-one, could be a cheaper way to try it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    That's a useful reference, although a year would be useful, as frame designs can change pretty fundamentally - only needs a few mm difference to stop it working.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume that list is merely of those that have tried and succeeded, I'm sure lots more frames will work than that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Of course, but I can tell you that Top Fuels, Epics, Sparks and Anthems don't have the clearance, rather than not being sure!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm sure.....to go with the convertable list, a NOT convertable list would arguably be more informative still!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.