Are clipless pedals faster?

12346»

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    danowat wrote:
    He asked to be removed from the forum.
    Probably the only sensible thing he has ever done in his life.
  • danowat wrote:
    He asked to be removed from the forum.

I asked to be allowed back on the forum but Molteni Mike refused. Therefore I am banned.
  • and i think, foolishly, that i know why the "click" of the pedal clip system is so very popular.....we have all done it,... perhaps, especially if girlies (or the opposite sex are around?)...it's macho/feminito, it's when man/or (very sexy) determined woman meets machine, makes us more than just bike riders?.. ha!.... we believe that the final-stage "click" of locking-in sends out a message to any within audible range...we are something else,... not to be tampered with, we are time triallists....power against the clock, muscle against inevitability of father T.
    come on...it's a sexier sound than shoeplates?!

Kev,

If you post that sort of thing on timetrialling forum they might think you are me again and you might get banned. Mind you, it is funny, (unlike my posts many would say), perhaps they would see the humour in it.

Trev.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    What we need is a study that tests energy in vs energy out on flats and clipless
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman wrote:
    What we need is a study that tests energy in vs energy out on flats and clipless

Efficiency?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Well, no power meter is gonna measure energy lost via foot slippage
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Going back a page Trev, the selective reading I was referring to is brilliantly displayed in your response to me. You jump in on the bit you can spark a debate on and completely fail to comment on the parts of my post that relate to the topic (why I use clipless).

I'll leave you all to it as I suspect this thread will still be going nowhere at page 80.
  • I think this thread has brilliantly proven that selective reading can rob a potentially reasonable question of anything useful. Sub55 and ddraver, congratulations on your patience, you have more than me.

Whether clipless pedals are more efficient or not is largely irrelevant to a competative cyclist (until you're a pro and can actually access technology to measure efficiency and interpret the results correctly). The reasons I use them -
    - I've done 54mph and needed the security of being attached,
    - I race crits and need the security of being attached,
    - Occasionally I hit potholes and need the security of being attached,
    - Occasionally I bunnyhop potholes (and once someones arm) and need the security of being attached,
    - I ride track and if you hold too high a cadence for too long you need the security of being attached (even if they still rode flats this wouldn't be true of the BMX example as freewheeling is an option).

Earlier in the year while I was racing I made a mistake and had pedal strike badly enough that although I kept the bike upright I skipped the back wheel a foot sideways and buckled the rim. Being attached made not crashing possible.

I can understand why you feel you need to use clipless pedals. I used them for match sprint & kilo. I used Look Keo pedals for several years and had no problems with them. However for the last few years I have used quill pedals without clips or straps. I have not had a foot slip and I have had near misses, hit pot holes and bunnyhopped without problem. I ride a single speed or fixed these days. I have no trouble keeping my feet on the pedals going down steep hills at 140 odd rpm.

I use a pair of Merrell barefoot style shoes on quill pedals because I have no problem keeping my feet on the pedals and I like to move my foot forwards or backwards depending on cadence. I also like the security of knowing I can stay on my feet if I get into a fight with a motorist. Throwing punches in cleats is comical for those watching. I also have to cross several major roads and have to dismount in a few places on the way to work so having footwear I can walk or run in easily is a must. The combination of Merrell shoe and quill pedal is also lighter than cycling shoe cleat and pedal.

People feel they need the security of being clipped in, in reality people are more than capable of keeping their feet on the pedals unless they have coordination problems.
  • NewTTer
    I think this thread has brilliantly proven that selective reading can rob a potentially reasonable question of anything useful. Sub55 and ddraver, congratulations on your patience, you have more than me.

Whether clipless pedals are more efficient or not is largely irrelevant to a competative cyclist (until you're a pro and can actually access technology to measure efficiency and interpret the results correctly). The reasons I use them -
    - Occasionally I bunnyhop potholes (and once someones arm) and need the security of being attached,
    - I ride track and if you hold too high a cadence for too long you need the security of being attached (even if they still rode flats this wouldn't be true of the BMX example as freewheeling is an option).

Earlier in the year while I was racing I made a mistake and had pedal strike badly enough that although I kept the bike upright I skipped the back wheel a foot sideways and buckled the rim. Being attached made not crashing possible.

II also like the security of knowing I can stay on my feet if I get into a fight with a motorist. Throwing punches in cleats is comical for those watching.

Now you have confirmed you are talking utter rubbish, you are beyond any shadow of a doubt 100% the type of person who would would go crying to the police crying assault, rather than take a good hiding for your pathetic and inflammatory behaviour.
  • I slipped that line in to make people laugh but you seem to have taken it seriously.
  • NewTTer
    I slipped that line in to make people laugh but you seem to have taken it seriously.
    You and humour are light years apart, you seriously need to seek some help, and soon.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    I think this thread has brilliantly proven that selective reading can rob a potentially reasonable question of anything useful. Sub55 and ddraver, congratulations on your patience, you have more than me.

:shock: what did i do
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    hay trev,
    have you been banned from the CTC forum as well? If not they are missing you like crazy and i'm sure your presence over there for a few weeks would be appriciated.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Herbsman wrote:

Do you know of any?
  • Herbsman wrote:

Do you know of any?

I think it would be difficult to have a fair test to be honest.

if the rider favours one type they are likely to be better using that system.

Realistically as long as its a secure platform it will work well, the cheap flats and tradional road flats are not great.

But MTB ones are remarkably grippy, which I use on my MTB and roadie SS. this said on a normal road bike they would look a tad daft plus you'd risk pedal strike, hence I used SPD's on the roadie.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    This thread is the best.

Trev needs to go to uni and learn how to read, interpret, analyse, and critique academic journals.

Maybe he can do a degree in sports science, and do a study and dissertation on drive-train efficiency with clipless and with flats.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Herbsman wrote:

Do you know of any?

I think it would be difficult to have a fair test to be honest.

if the rider favours one type they are likely to be better using that system.

Realistically as long as its a secure platform it will work well, the cheap flats and tradional road flats are not great.

But MTB ones are remarkably grippy, which I use on my MTB and roadie SS. this said on a normal road bike they would look a tad daft plus you'd risk pedal strike, hence I used SPD's on the roadie.

The only way to measure that would be to have a power meter between youre feet and the sole of the shoe and then again between the pedal axle and the crank.

Don't think that's a goer really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • This thread is the best.

Trev needs to go to uni and learn how to read, interpret, analyse, and critique academic journals.

Maybe he can do a degree in sports science, and do a study and dissertation on drive-train efficiency with clipless and with flats.

A degree in sports science isn't worth the paper it's written on.
  • NewTTer
    This thread is the best.

That will be the same for anything and everything you spout, on whatever media you are using at the time of said spouting. Which unfortunaltey for us seems to be the BR forums at present.
  • NewTTer wrote:
    This thread is the best.

That will be the same for anything and everything you spout, on whatever media you are using at the time of said spouting. Which unfortunaltey for us seems to be the BR forums at present.

Don't they usually find jobs in the end showing fat women how to use the equipment in the gym. Or do cleaning jobs?
  • Don't they usually find jobs in the end showing fat women how to use the equipment in the gym. Or do cleaning jobs?

Troll
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    This thread is the best.

still evidently better than whatever you've got. (or not got)