"Hardcore" hardtails

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been thinking n+1 again. Something a bit easier to maintain than my full-sus, and a bit less overkill for those Swinley trips and whatnot. But mainly n+1, let's be honest.

So yeah, I've got a fairly beefily built-up Yeti SB-66, which I like a lot. 160mm Fox 36 forks on there, and burly wheels too. What I want is something lighter than that, but not some XC race machine with steep head angles and all that - I still want to plummet down steep descents and get airborne here and there. I've been thinking along the lines of some 140mm forks on a Cotic Bfe, or an On-one C456, or a Ragley Bluepig. Or maybe even something made out of titanium! That still makes me think of superheroes, and someone's got a titanium piglet frame on ebay at the moment. Or track down a stanton slackline!

I've got a lot more ideas than I have knowledge about what'd actually be good, is what. Help?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cotic BFe is the future if you want a hardcore hardtail. Awesome fun bike
  • Cotic BFe & Transition Trans Am are the two I'm looking at replacing my Inbred with.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm loving my Ragley Bagger, I'd quite like a Bluepig as well, reckon that would be sweet for all day riding.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I tested a titanium Ragley Piglet for WMB - nice bike, but the cost cannot be justified when compared to the lighter carbon C456.
  • Even if the cost was about half RRP, supersonic? I wouldn't be interested at full whack, no.

Hmm, I forgot about the Trans Am, did read about it and I think ended up not shortlisting it for finicky reasons, it looks nice. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-35339

I think in my heart, or gut, or arse, something like that anyway, I've got it down more or less to Bluepig v Bfe. I actually mainly don't like the C456 for aesthetic reasons so could potentially be persuaded back to that I guess.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The bluepig is a pretty harsh ride, almost as bad as my On-One 456SS (I wouldn't recommend an On-One, crap quality finishing). The BFe is a much more comfortable frame and very strong.
  • supersonic
    milko9000 wrote:
    Even if the cost was about half RRP, supersonic? I wouldn't be interested at full whack, no.

Hmm, I forgot about the Trans Am, did read about it and I think ended up not shortlisting it for finicky reasons, it looks nice. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-35339

I think in my heart, or gut, or ars*, something like that anyway, I've got it down more or less to Bluepig v Bfe. I actually mainly don't like the C456 for aesthetic reasons so could potentially be persuaded back to that I guess.

Without a warranty I wouldn't be too happy with one. Not saying it will break lol, but the 456 is such good value for what it is, and as you can see in these forums, has dozens of owners and fans.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Evil Sovereign?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Loving my carbon 456, it rides really nice, its very light and its pretty comfy. Its not the best looking bike around, but it was cheap so it swayed me over the slackline, which lacks a reverb sized seat tube and tapered headtube, which did put me off it slightly.
  • ilovedirt
    I'd probably have the Cotic BFe if it was me, only reason I didn't get one is because I found the Bagger for a lot cheaper.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Have a look through here. 153 pages of hardtail masturbatory material.

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/all-mountain-hardtail-thread-post-up-yours-279265.html
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mark909 wrote:

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/all-mountain-hardtail-thread-post-up-yours-279265.html

Some very nice hardtails in between the tat. An awful lot of them seem to be running Rockshox Pikes, not sure why they are so popular.
  • Mark909 wrote:

Some very nice hardtails in between the tat. An awful lot of them seem to be running Rockshox Pikes, not sure why they are so popular.

Because they are/were brilliant forks and are hard to beat? probably.
  • ilovedirt
    Mark909 wrote:

Because they were really good forks until they eventually became a bit on the heavy side compared to the competition? Sektors and Revs are pretty much based on pikes just with a different chassis and a little more travel...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    Pikes had thicker upper tubes, steerer and reinforced sliders - maybe the new Rev chassis is as strong/stiff now, but I doubt it.
  • BFe in medium out of stock til at least January, which gives me unwelcome memories of trying to get my damn SB-66 frame this time last year! (and a few months before this time, and one after). I'm happy (possibly prefer in fact) to go second hand on this one but nothing much around right now. Tsk. That was winning but now I have to hope one comes up before the impulse fades.

Stanton Slackline still tempting. Bit heavy for the price maybe?

Evil Sovereign - does anyone actually sell these? Looks a bit eye-watering on the price too tbh. But also fun!

Surprised there's not more of you in favour of the Bluepig, I thought the reviews were all quite glowing on that one.

Gonna ponder that C456 a while. VFM it's an apparent clear winner.
  • supersonic
    Weight wise it is a clear winner too - 3.5lbs!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:

Yep, fully built with 140mm revs mines a smidge under 24lbs, its almost too light :lol:
  • haha. nngh. Just seen a medium Bfe on singletrack classifieds too.

Right, thanks lots for the help everyone. I will search my heart, soul, ass,etc.
  • ilovedirt
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yep, fully built with 140mm revs mines a smidge under 24lbs, its almost too light :lol:
    And about as pretty as blue waffle... (sorry ;) )
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Pipedream sirius? Or is that not hardcore enough.
    I've got Soul.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    milko9000 wrote:
    Stanton Slackline still tempting. Bit heavy for the price maybe?

Evil Sovereign - does anyone actually sell these? Looks a bit eye-watering on the price too tbh. But also fun!

Surprised there's not more of you in favour of the Bluepig, I thought the reviews were all quite glowing on that one.

Gonna ponder that C456 a while. VFM it's an apparent clear winner.

They don't make the Sovereign anymore, so you'd have to be lucky or go 2nd-hand to get one. The nearest thing to it would be a BFe or NS Surge. Those would be my choices, but I'm obviously biased.

Tbh, I don't think weight should be much of a factor if you're serious about this kind of bike (Trans-Ams are stupidly heavy for no discernible extra 'gnarr' though). Sure, a 456C is just as strong, etc, but there's something about the ride and geometry that means I would never buy one.
  • Weight isn't a massive factor, it's just in looking for contrast with what I've got it's one of the obvious things to differentiate.

NS Surge. That's another new one. As is the Pipedream Sirius, will look into those. A quick glance suggests they'll at least be outliers, maybe more. Though I'm currently still in that head-says-C456-heart-says-BFe mode. I know a couple of people with the 456 so I'll see if I can get a quick test ride.

Something struck me last night, I'm a bit surprised the Euro box-shifters like Canyon don't seem to have anything in this category.
  • Oh look. NS Core 1 (which is apparently the same geo as Surge but in complete bike form?) for £750 at CRC. Iiinteresting.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Chameleon? After the recent update I'd say it was a contender.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Yeah, probably should be. Hmm. Dangit too much choice I'm going to end up paralysed by indecision and get nothing. I need someone to go "whoah look at this amazing unbeatable deal". I don't even know if I want to buy a complete bike or frame and parts really now.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Just give me £1500 and sit back and wait for the awesome bike to arrive :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Haha, that is actually quite tempting, Ben! Though after seeing things like the C456 and that NS Core 1 so cheap I'm starting to aim a little lower on the budget.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    milko9000 wrote:
    Something struck me last night, I'm a bit surprised the Euro box-shifters like Canyon don't seem to have anything in this category.
    Euro riding tends to be much more XC like than most of our XC to heavy trail, so the bikes suit those requirements, just like many Euro bikes are a bit short on tyre/mud clearance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    milko9000 wrote:
    Haha, that is actually quite tempting, Ben! Though after seeing things like the C456 and that NS Core 1 so cheap I'm starting to aim a little lower on the budget.

It soon adds up though. I built up a C456 earlier this year, revs, mainly SLX and superstar goodies, oh and a reverb. Cost me approx £1700 to build.