After the whats your job thread, a where do you live thread

13»

Comments

• Beatmaker wrote:
    Chester. We moved here from That London two years ago and haven't looked back. Great lumpy road riding from the door in North Wales or the Cheshire Plains the other way. Delamere and Llandegla both under 30 mins drive away. Love it.

Hi all, another Chester rider here who's also glad to have moved away from London. As Beatmaker says we have a good variety of options depending on which point of the compass we head towards (i haven't got the legs for the bigger Welsh hills I don't think!)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    God's own country, in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Chesterfield. East (after the pain of the hill into Bolsover) is flattish (generally around 50' per mile); West is into the pennines and can be as hilly as you want it to be. North and South both rolling country. No flat anywhere; I still don't know what my flat average would be, though I'm generally >20mph downhill and <20mph uphill, so I'm guessing it'd be a round 20 ;)
  • Shaftesbury, the highest town in Dorset. Downhill in every direction, until you want to get home!
    The last 2 miles from any direction is a killer. Some great roads though.
    Battaglin C11
    Carrera LRS2
    Carrera Jabberwock
    Kona Paddy wagon fixed
    Carlton Catalina
  • Kendal, Cumbria (actually Oxenholme as of late Sept.)

You'd think I'd be hitting the Lakes all the time, but I actually prefer going South and East, into North Lancs and The Dales - the roads just seem to be quieter and just as challenging. Saying that, if I need a good blow-out, all the Lakeland passes are on my doorstep, as is the Lythe Valley. My commute (when I do it) is between Kendal and Ambleside - not a bad run to work, especially coming back as I usually detour through Troutbeck.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    MattC59 wrote:
    Thatcham, near Newbury. Pretty flat-ish, but a handful of decent climbs. Lots of short sharp ones around me though.

Cold Ash Hill is my nemesis still, the rest are pretty bearable!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Kendal, Cumbria (actually Oxenholme as of late Sept.)

You'd think I'd be hitting the Lakes all the time, but I actually prefer going South and East, into North Lancs and The Dales - the roads just seem to be quieter and just as challenging. Saying that, if I need a good blow-out, all the Lakeland passes are on my doorstep, as is the Lythe Valley. My commute (when I do it) is between Kendal and Ambleside - not a bad run to work, especially coming back as I usually detour through Troutbeck.

I used to love cycling to Kendal. I lived in Barrow. Got my first serious bike from Lakeland cycles, Mercian king of mercia frame with all the trimmings.Those were the days. :D
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Portishead just outside of bristol.
    I have the mendips,and the welsh hills just over the severn.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • I live on the edge of the Chilterns so plenty of hills to play with :shock:
  • Mile End, London. Daily commuter battles and insane drivers.

Nearest escape is head east to Epping and hit the villages of Essex.
  • Just North of Lancaster, 20 miles to the lakes, 15 to north Yorks, 15 to the Trough of Bowland. Fabulous cycling country.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My choices are:

1) heading north into the fens, which at this time of year isn't too appealing with the roads plastered in mud from the sugar beet and potato harvesting, and if it's windy it is relentless. In the summer it's a good option for a steady ride because of it's flatness.

2) head anywhere from south west round to due east and it takes me into gently undulating Suffolk and Essex which is quite pleasant. There are no big hills obviously, but you can plan quite a punishing route with repeated short sharp climbs.

3) to the west lies Cambridge which I tend to avoid because although there are lots of cyclists, there's a similar number of motorists trying to kill them.

I must confess I do miss the Yorkshire of my youth :cry:
  • I live in derby so have every bit of terrain i need,peak district to the north and the rolling hills of leicestershire to the south.

To the west is staffordshire which is mainly flat with a few rises in it and then the urban sprawl of nottingham which flattens out towards lincolnshire.
  • Souff East London. Crystal Palace. You'd think that would be terrible but 10 minutes and I am out of London and on the North Downs and then onto the Surrey/Kent Green Sand hills .......... only Cat 4&5 hills ....... but some of the prettiest English scenery you could ever want.

Kent, I'm right on the green sand hills so can hit them from all angles :), Toys Hill is only 15 miles away so can hit a Cat 3 regularly. It's also good to be able to head into the flat lands of the marshes once in a while as the scenery is so different.
  • Kendal, Cumbria (actually Oxenholme as of late Sept.)

Close to you.

A tad North of Kendal. Sheep and horses out back, woods to the front and distant mountain views when the leaves are off the trees.

Left Tunbridge Wells 15 years ago and never looked back. Lovely part of the world up here.
  • As you can guess from my name I'm a jock living on the west of Dartmoor. Great rides but hills everywhere - still, gets you fit! Some of the roads are a bit dodgy surface wise and I think Dartmoor must be the wettest place on Earth! Out of my door and straight on to the moor.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Helsinki. Not that I see much of it in the winter from the indoor trainer/tacx real life video/powertap setup in my livingroom. That said, it's a balmy 7 degrees with only a bit of wind and rain today, so I'm off out on the real bike - it could easily be the last chance I get until April!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Aviemore up in Highlands, although I do four days a week in Aberdeen at the moment. Aviemore can be +30C in the summer and -30C in the winter, very extreme climate. Nice place to go for a pedal though.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Wetherby, west Yorkshire - varied rides in each direction.
  • Originally born and bred in Bradistan. Now live in Frome.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Fakenham, Norfolk. It's a beautiful part of the country. perfect countryside for cycling. no hills but plenty of rolling country lanes. and only ten miles from the North Norfolk coast road...perfect!
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    gthyer wrote:
    Mid Cornwall for me.

There's a real mix of roads and rides around here. I mostly ride the beautiful bumpy bits of North coast between St Agnes and Boscastle but there are some real work-outs to be had in the brutal industrial landscape around St Austell.

I do love the riding around here but don't see too many other cyclists about which is a pity.

I'm North Cornwall, so sometimes, although not very often, venture down as far as Boscastle.

Never used to see that many riders where we were, but it seems to be coming a lot more popular in the last year or so.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • UAE
  • Alderley Edge, Cheshire.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Kingston, Surrey. love the area hate the bumpy roads.