After the whats your job thread, a where do you live thread

Comments

• Hull.
    Phillip Larkin once remarked its good for cycling, but... its just flat. Handy for east coast and good for the Humber bridge to go over to the dark side though. Lol. Got voted as britains crappest town but its actually pretty good.
    Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
    with....gears of war.
  • Cleethorpes.
    You can get out into the Wolds quite easy for some steep but short hills.
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Chester. We moved here from That London two years ago and haven't looked back. Great lumpy road riding from the door in North Wales or the Cheshire Plains the other way. Delamere and Llandegla both under 30 mins drive away. Love it.
    There are no chavs in Chester.

Probably the poshest town I've ever been allowed in.

When we were there I wanted to show my girlfriend the pub Off The Wall because I like the name. We went up those steps in the town centre and walked for ages. Turned out we were a few meters away when we started but went to wrong direction.
    centimani wrote:
    Peterborough.
    You know that pub, The Boys Head. My mate looked like the boy on the sign.
    wod1 wrote:
    Edge of the Lincolnshire wolds, Also cycle north across the Humber bridge. South to Louth, West to Scunthorpe East to the coast. Mostly flat with some steeper bits in the wolds. 5 mile commute to work but usually do a 10-15 mile loop. Roads quiet, lots of lanes to vary routes.
    Where abouts? Used to live in Louth.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I live in Lincoln. Pretty flat in all directions apart from the hill that separates the the top of the city from the bottom. Got the wolds not too far to the north though so hoping to explore them a bit in the near future
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    Chester. We moved here from That London two years ago and haven't looked back. Great lumpy road riding from the door in North Wales or the Cheshire Plains the other way. Delamere and Llandegla both under 30 mins drive away. Love it.

Another Cestrian over here, well just outside, but near enough. As Beatmaker says, there's no end of options for rides :D
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Thatcham, near Newbury. Pretty flat-ish, but a handful of decent climbs. Lots of short sharp ones around me though.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Hucknall, north of Nottingham. Head NW and in 45min it's peak district, head East and it's the flatlands, south and it's Leicestershire vale of Belvoir.

All in all good varied riding for every occasion.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Hucknall, north of Nottingham. Head NW and in 45min it's peak district, head East and it's the flatlands, south and it's Leicestershire vale of Belvoir.

Another one for Nottingham here :lol:

I'm in Wollaton, like you I have to travel about 45 mins for any really nice riding however there are some good training areas such as Mapperley with some big hills than can be done on a loop, and out towards Burntstump there is some decent countryside but its relatively flat
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • South coast - Emsworth, between Chichester and Portsmouth.

Great riding almost straight out of the door up on to the Downs - either for road or the Dark Side.

Unfortunately it gets rather wet to the south! But then that's when the windsurfer comes out (I'm lucky to be close enough to walk down the road with the board).
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    Petersfield right on the south downs some great riding to be had north, south ,east and west. Easy to forget what youve got until you ride somewhere else.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Southend-on-Sea

A couple of OK-ish hills within a twenty mile radius otherwise MMAFA*

*Miles and Miles of Absolutely F**K All
  • Hanners wrote:
    Petersfield right on the south downs some great riding to be had north, south ,east and west. Easy to forget what youve got until you ride somewhere else.

Up for a ride sometime?
  • Potton in Bedfordshire, a couple of miles from the A1
  • gthyer
    gthyer Posts: 46
    Mid Cornwall for me.

There's a real mix of roads and rides around here. I mostly ride the beautiful bumpy bits of North coast between St Agnes and Boscastle but there are some real work-outs to be had in the brutal industrial landscape around St Austell.

I do love the riding around here but don't see too many other cyclists about which is a pity.
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Curtis MX24
    Pashley 26mhz

http://www.strava.com/athletes/3040565
  • Edge of the lake district.. Not too shabby :roll:
  • Out in the sticks in the Scottish Borders, miles and miles of hilly traffic-free backroads. :D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    is someone craftily data capturing here ro something?
    age, job, location!

if anyone wants to send me their bank details that'd be great!!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Deepest Wandsworth, SW London. And that's as far out of the city I can ever see myself moving.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Im in Brockley, SE London. I need to ride 10 or so miles to get into the North Downs and good riding.
  • Deepest Somerset
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    Basingstoke or as some like to call it, Amazingstoke! Lots of decent lanes to ride & some nice views around Hannington area. Not a great deal of big climbs though.
  • Mallorca for me obvioulsy pretty cool for cycling.

Admort "MIDDLEBURG" thats one of may favourite places of all time. I went here as a kid on holiday every year. We would sail over from the UK in the boat each year for three weeks summer holidays, sail across to either nuiewport in belgium then up the coast into Flushing then through the Locks. I have spent many a happy day in the dingy as a kid going round the harbour there and into the inner harbour through the little bridge. I can still hear the bells now from the town spire. I used to know Hanse the harbour master but I think he retired a while back the guy with long blonde hair used to cycle everywhere round the harbour. I want to cycle there from the uk and see the wouter weylendt memorial that is in the town (is it there on the wall by the little square?) I think the restraunt if i reme,ber rightly was called the Plough? Althgouh im going back 25 years! I was last there on the boat 5 years ago as a trip down memory lane! I love middleburg. Frites with peanut sauce up on the square at the end of the high street. lovely place! not many hills though.
  • half way between Geneva and Lausanne - amazing cycling from the door. Live at the foot of a 1000m climb and thousands of ks of beautiful riding on impeccable tarmac with good drivers and fellow riders. Winters in Gstaad but I don't take my bike.

Lived in Edinburgh for ten years - some beautiful riding, especially the western and southern hinterland
    Chile for three, in Santiago - some world class road riding but limited. Local climb was pretty nuts: 700m to 3100m and nearly sixty hairpin bends. Was one way of getting above the smog.
  • A few miles south of Guildford here. Plenty of up and down available within a few miles on the Surrey Hills and North Downs for both road and MTB, and very few totally flat bits.
    Mangeur
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Stoke on Trent. Grew up in Birmingham but I was strictly a mountain biker back then, moved to Brighton where I got into road riding and have now been living in Stoke for 18 months or so.

Stoke is definitely the best of the three to be a cyclist but it's the worst for anything else. Except pottery. And being called 'duck'.

Rob
  • centimani wrote:
    Peterborough.
    If i ride east, i head toward the Fens. Flat, open (very little hedge cover), ok in the summer, relentlessly windy in the autumn / winter and relentlessly cold.
    West, out towards Northants, nice rolling mildly hilly countryside, i like it out there, often ride out to Weldon near Corby or sometimes deviate towards Rutland.
    South towards Stamford ...
    North toward Bedforshire, again, nice rolling countryside, often head out to Alconbury and occasionally to Molesworth.

Think you've got your north and south mixed up mate! Stamford is north west ish of P'boro and Beds is definitely south ish!

I'm in St Neots. Less than 5 minutes of cycling and I'm out in the country. There's some lovely countryside around this part of Cambs/Beds with some lovely villages. Just wish it wasn't so damn windy all the time!
  • Potton in Bedfordshire, a couple of miles from the A1

Not near Common Road I hope!
  • Joeblack wrote:
    Hucknall, north of Nottingham. Head NW and in 45min it's peak district, head East and it's the flatlands, south and it's Leicestershire vale of Belvoir.

I'm in Wollaton, like you I have to travel about 45 mins for any really nice riding however there are some good training areas such as Mapperley with some big hills than can be done on a loop, and out towards Burntstump there is some decent countryside but its relatively flat
    I do a convoluted ride around Calvo, Woodborough, Lambley which takes me both up and down Burntsump,Lime lane, Georges lane, Bonner hill, Bank hill, Catfoot lane, Green lane and Lingwood lane. Not exactly Derbyshire but given the proximity to Hucknall it's a tidy workout when I don't feel like going too far from home.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Joeblack wrote:

I do a convoluted ride around Calvo, Woodborough, Lambley which takes me both up and down Burntsump,Lime lane, Georges lane, Bonner hill, Bank hill, Catfoot lane, Green lane and Lingwood lane. Not exactly Derbyshire but given the proximity to Hucknall it's a tidy workout when I don't feel like going too far from home.

Yh that's a good point it's quite hilly round those parts and good countryside as well, we should go for a ride one time

Pm me if you fancy it
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Mallorca for me obvioulsy pretty cool for cycling.

Admort "MIDDLEBURG" thats one of may favourite places of all time. I went here as a kid on holiday every year. We would sail over from the UK in the boat each year for three weeks summer holidays, sail across to either nuiewport in belgium then up the coast into Flushing then through the Locks. I have spent many a happy day in the dingy as a kid going round the harbour there and into the inner harbour through the little bridge. I can still hear the bells now from the town spire. I used to know Hanse the harbour master but I think he retired a while back the guy with long blonde hair used to cycle everywhere round the harbour. I want to cycle there from the uk and see the wouter weylendt memorial that is in the town (is it there on the wall by the little square?) I think the restraunt if i reme,ber rightly was called the Plough? Althgouh im going back 25 years! I was last there on the boat 5 years ago as a trip down memory lane! I love middleburg. Frites with peanut sauce up on the square at the end of the high street. lovely place! not many hills though.

Middelburg is a beautiful town, one of the most picturesque towns you could ever wish to live in. We get a lot of holidaymakers, mostly German, Belgian but a few Brits aswell. You see quite a lot of British boats in the harbour in the summer months.Just a shame about the hill situation we really have nothing of any note for at least 30 miles from me.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • lovely place Im going back to visit next year.