After the whats your job thread, a where do you live thread

Wobblehead
Wobblehead Posts: 264
edited November 2012 in Road general
I've got to be one of the luckiest on here, near Settle, North Yorks with the Yorkshire Dales one way and Forest of Bowland the other way. Quiet roads, great hills, definately compact country.

Was out today on the moors, could see for miles, Pendle Hill, Waddington Fell, Longridge Fell, Pen y gent, Ingleborough.

:D

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Chester. We moved here from That London two years ago and haven't looked back. Great lumpy road riding from the door in North Wales or the Cheshire Plains the other way. Delamere and Llandegla both under 30 mins drive away. Love it.
  • Peterborough.
    If i ride east, i head toward the Fens. Flat, open (very little hedge cover), ok in the summer, relentlessly windy in the autumn / winter and relentlessly cold.
    West, out towards Northants, nice rolling mildly hilly countryside, i like it out there, often ride out to Weldon near Corby or sometimes deviate towards Rutland.
    South towards Stamford ...
    North toward Bedforshire, again, nice rolling countryside, often head out to Alconbury and occasionally to Molesworth.
  • Reading and hating it, never mind not long till missus finishes uni and I can move to west midlands. Hopefully.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    north west shropshire/welsh border..quite hilly to sillly hilly in a mile of home.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I live just inside Worcestershire, from the South Warwickshire border in one of the outer villages of Evesham. I reckon I have the best of both worlds, some great cycling through the Cotswolds, including good hills and fantastic scenery, and some really good flatter riding through places like Stratford upon Avon, Bidford on Avon. It was moving here that got me back into road cycling, our roads are pretty full of cyclists. I love being able to cycle straight off my driveway onto a country lane, and can take a different route every day.
    Ridley Orion
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Southern Spain, about 30km from Malaga city, on the edge of a very wide valley surrounded by mountains.

Roads are relatively quiet (compared to much of the UK) and drivers aren't trying to kill you. Temperatures never drop below freezing unless you go high into the mountains, but can reach 40C in summer. The weather is usually dry and sunny, but can be windy.

There's nowhere flat to ride, but who wants flat? You can drop into the valley for rolling hills, or ride out of it and tackle the mountain climbs all around it. There are also hundreds of kms of off-road trails. The hardest decision I have to make when going for a ride is whether to take the road bike of the mountain bike.

(I don't like Spanish food, and I'm not really fond of the culture either. I'm here for the cycling.)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    "Are you lucky where you live....... for cycling" crossed my mind last week, got dragged to Norfolk for a week and i took the bike, that made me realise just how lucky i am to live in Derbyshire.
    There'll be people living in far better places for cycling but a quarter of a mile and i'm on country roads, ten miles and i'm in the peak, i can go N,S,E or W and choose dozens of routes avoiding built up areas and traffic.
    I've always lived in the area so it's all down to luck but it'd be a bugger living in the middle of somewhere like London.
  • Scottish Borders some cracking places to ride here :D
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I live in Middelburg, Netherlands. No hills anywhere near me, given the choice i,d prefer somewhere with hills. Plenty of cycling paths in town but as i cycle mostly around the towns and on farmers roads the road surface leaves a lot to be desired.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • I live in Cambridge now, but I moved from a "mountainous" area (at least by UK standards) a few months ago in Austria. Thought I would be ok as I planned on TT riding here, but it is nowhere what I wanted, and I desperately long for mountains again.
  • North Herts; born and bred. I grew up in a distinctly nicer town than the one I now live in, but my wife and I were looking for somewhere to make home together when we married and picked a place that was available...

Cycling-wise, very flat. The nearest hills are in Bedfordshire! :lol:
  • Souff East London. Crystal Palace. You'd think that would be terrible but 10 minutes and I am out of London and on the North Downs and then onto the Surrey/Kent Green Sand hills .......... only Cat 4&5 hills ....... but some of the prettiest English scenery you could ever want.
  • I am in Worcestershire as well, Redditch in fact. Always seem to head south from home so regular rides include Evesham and the Cotswolds.
  • Preston. Feel quite lucky that I get to ride the hills of the Trough of Bowland, Pendle, Rivington or the flats of the Fylde and southport. Shame it rains all the dang time!!! :-)
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    I'm in South West London, Parsons Green (it's ok, my Strava profile has my location on lockdown). 15 mins to work, 20 to Hampton court and 45 mins to Surrey! Fabulous rides to be had heading SW SSW. Nipped out to Leatherhead today, nice loop through East Horley then back through Oxshott. Bit chilly on the return.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • centimani wrote:
    Peterborough.
    If i ride east, i head toward the Fens. Flat, open (very little hedge cover), ok in the summer, relentlessly windy in the autumn / winter and relentlessly cold.
    West, out towards Northants, nice rolling mildly hilly countryside, i like it out there, often ride out to Weldon near Corby or sometimes deviate towards Rutland.
    South towards Stamford ...
    North toward Bedforshire, again, nice rolling countryside, often head out to Alconbury and occasionally to Molesworth.

Where in the Boro are you centimani? I use to live in Yaxley before moving to Guernsey. Here you have little option but to go round and round and round and round the island. Again and again and again and again. I do miss those county roads out to the west.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • I live in Hampstead Suburb in North London. Nice area & plenty of tough climbs about for a good hard training route. Muswell Hill, Alexandra Palace Way, Highgate Hill, Highgate West Hill, Swaines Lane, Shepherds Hill, Haverstock Hill, Cranleigh Gardens. I actually enjoy riding in my local area. Don't go any further though, riding in London on the whole is an unpleasant experience!
  • Brighton and Hove, 12 minutes and i'm into the South Downs and forgetting about any city, 40 minute commute to work on the road or 2 hrs along the South downs way. Very happy with my cycling area!
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Spalding, and its really really really flat.......booring
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Edinburgh, the most beautiful city in the UK, but perhaps not for much longer !
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Dundee, which must be one of the hilliest cities in the country. I have to climb a 14% section to get to my front door! We have a wide flat area to the West, but we’re surrounded by hills. To the south and over the Tay bridge lie the rolling hills of Fife, to the North you have the Sidlaw hills and the Carse of Gowrie and then after that it’s the big stuff. It’s a fantastic base for cycling – if you like hills ;-)
  • In a small Village outside of Plymouth, I like it.
    “If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    Newbury, fairly flat in most directions really, but some reasonable hills about the place!
  • Sheffield. 5 minutes and I'm in the Peak District, absolutely fantastic. I grew up on the south coast near the New Forest, which is also a great place to ride. After riding in the Peak, the New Forest is the kind of terrain you can ride using a big single gear.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited November 2012
    Cotswolds, area aint flat (good motorway links too).
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Near Leeds, so either coast is just a pedal away :-)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Slap bang between Dundee and Perth. If I go east to west I have 20+ miles of flatlands to ride on, if I head north for 2 minutes I have the Sidlaws (a range of wee hills only 200m high at most points but plenty steep enough to challenge). If I continue further north I get to the Angus Glens and Cairngorm mountain range... Ideal!
  • Hi folks

I live in Dorking, Surrey. It has some great cycling routes in and around the area,which i'm sure a lot of you know about.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Dartmoor, middle of really! They like their hills down here, it's fantastic for cycling and never boring..bit wet though sometimes
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    Edge of the Lincolnshire wolds, Also cycle north across the Humber bridge. South to Louth, West to Scunthorpe East to the coast. Mostly flat with some steeper bits in the wolds. 5 mile commute to work but usually do a 10-15 mile loop. Roads quiet, lots of lanes to vary routes.