Kindle Fire HD - What's the craic?

124»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I didn't want the iPad mini (mostly down to price and the fact that no retina display, amongst other things, makes it feel like too much of a comprimise compared to its bigger brother the iPad 4) then I would get the Nexus. This isn't to say that the iPad mini isn't good, it is. It is just not for me.

I swapped from an iPad to an iPad mini and prefer it. Don't notice the lack of retina TBH, screen is to small for it to make a difference. The retina display on my macbook pro is a thing of beauty though.
    I'm not buying the "screen is too small for it to make difference" argument - you're not the first. Retina display made a gargantuan difference between the display on the 3Gs and the 4G onwards.... and those screens are 3.5inches, half the size of the iPad mini

I do need to see these retina displays on the macbook's, people keep telling me about them as though they're a visual symphony of perfection and glory...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, and I haven't checked by if the Nexus has access to things like Goolge Now then I'll probably will get one and I didn't want one until I wrote this post and read more about it in detail.
    Of course it can. it can do anything that android can do.
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    Having become irritated beyond belief with Apple, I have left the iPhone camp and bought a Nexus 4, which is astonishingly good. This has made me drop any idea of getting an iPad and going for the (much cheaper) Nexus 7 or maybe the Nexus 10 for my general computing needs and then migrate from my 1st generation MacBook to a better specced, cheaper, probably windows 7 based system (unless Windows 8 is actuially THAT good!).

Of course Apple make good products, but I am struggling to justify the cost vs. benefit argument.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My next phone will probably be a Windows 8 phone (thinking Nokia - I like that there is no need for an overlay ontop of the OS, which in itself bring problems) to go with my soon to be upgraded to Windows 8 (64bit) PC. I like 'droid' but I want harmony within my 'ecosystem'.

Also, there are issues with my phone and the software still feels experimental as oppose to Apple's, which feels complete - in fact Windows 7 feels experimental compared to XP's complete and polished feeling - I often wonder whether I should have just upgraded to a 64bit XP and never bothered with 7.

I will say however that Apple's newer stuff appears to be less complete and less polished than Apple products 2 years ago. Apple are clearly going through a transitional phase with its direction, I never seen so many hit-miss products from Apple in recent years (iPad 3 then 6 months later iPad Mini, 4, itunes delay and bugs, iPhone maps....). There was a time when Apple got everything right.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game