Kindle Fire HD - What's the craic?

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Paul E wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Compare the meerkat... Ten ipad mini alternatives

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.

They gave the Sony Experia S 80%. That's the one I wanted to break.

It's UI plays the baboon's rusty trombone.

That's android for you and the annoying lag inducing skins they put over the top of it, that's if it detects the touch, sometimes you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond, I wouldn't touch another android device with a very big barge pole.

Fair enough if you got a duff S2 and don't like Android, but implying that all android devices have bad touch screens because of that experience is pretty silly.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    pangolin wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.

That's android for you and the annoying lag inducing skins they put over the top of it, that's if it detects the touch, sometimes you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond, I wouldn't touch another android device with a very big barge pole.

Fair enough if you got a duff S2 and don't like Android, but implying that all android devices have bad touch screens because of that experience is pretty silly.

+1

Big difference here is the well rehearsed argument that Android can be installed by anyone onto anything compatible, from cheap tat powered by a calculator processor up to the latest and greatest tablets and smartphones (and beyond - I've installed it onto a desktop computer in the past). On useless hardware, Android is rubbish. iOS can only be installed on Apple's hardware which, if not always cutting edge, will at least be adequate and up to the task.

The other issue is that Android has far greater multi-tasking abilities. Used properly, by someone who understands the system, this is a bonus; otherwise it just leads to lag and annoyance.

For a child, I would vote for an iPad Mini, because it's child's play to use and won't go wrong. For me, it would be the epitome of frustration for a number of reasons; the itunes issue most of all.

The Nexus 7 is the best of the Androids at the moment, although that seems to change by the day. I played with a Kindle HD today; it's hardware is alright, but the skin they've put onto Android really changes it's nature from a competitive tablet to an Amazon consumption aid - bye bye high street booksellers. Only disappointment with the Nexus is the lack of SD slot - if you need that in a 7 inch tablet, see Samsung or Motorola.

Oh and my 2p on build quality: a metal back is not a sign of high quality - it is a stupid choice compared to plastic; it dents, scratches, weighs a lot, blocks signals, transmits shocks to the glass face, and is less comfortable/secure to hold.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    vermin wrote:
    the skin they've put onto Android

What does this mean?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It wasn't a duff S2 and I am not a novice user and I know how to shut down apps etc, it was just very disappointing even after the upgrade to ICS. I know exactly what I am talking about on this, the OS is still not mature enough and it's not consistent across it's interface so you are often hunting for buttons that even in the google made apps are in one place in one app and in another place in another app. The best app is the andriod version of google maps, that beat the cr@p out of the iOS version.

Itunes works fine for me, I plug it in and it syncs, what would annoy me is having to find the right folder for the right fils to be found by an app, now thats clunky.
  • vermin
    Paul E wrote:
    Stuff

No point arguing about it. Fact is lots of people like Android, therefore it can't be as bad as its detractors make out. Choice is good.
    vermin wrote:
    the skin they've put onto Android

What does this mean?

Hardware manufacturers have the choice of either installing a stock Android operating system as produced by Google, or taking the Google system and b*ggering about with it to make it look and operate as suits them in order to differentiate their product. Amazon have done a significant amount of b*ggering to the point that, IMO, the system is completely b*ggered up. It comes down to their financial model - sell the device at cost price or below, and ensure that purchasers use it to buy lots of content from Amazon. The traditional homepage is replaced by a glossy view of the Amazon media library. Apps are accessed via a sub-menu. The Google Play store is not installed, and cannot be installed, as far as I can tell. So the only App store available is the Amazon one, which has a lesser selection. The standard Google apps are not available. Makes the device great if you just want to browse the web and easily read/watch/listen to media purchased from Amazon, but a bit rubbish if you want to use the full capabilities of an Android tablet.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Personally I am loving my Blackberry Playbook that I got for a silly cheap price. Now they have updated the O/S so that it can run Android Apps there is loads of stuff you can get for it too. It has by far the best browser I have seen on any mobile device and can genuinely milti-task. A beautiful screen and really easy to use too.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    quick q - if Amazon are selling the Kindle at near to cost price, how come the Kobo e-readers are a little cheaper, with what seems to be a far more open business model?

FTR I'm looking at e-readers, leaning towards Kobo as systesms designed to lock you in to a single supplier piss me right the hell off.
  • apreading
    If you really want it as an e-reader then I would get one with magic ink rather than a tablet - much easier and nicer to read. You arent really locked into Amazon with the kindle - Calibre easily allows you to convert other book formats to kindle format and vice versa.

I would deffo recommend the 3g version of the kindle - free internet ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD is a fantastic bonus - no more paying for expensive data roaming or hotel wifi costs - check your email and do facebook etc for free when overseas - well worth it.
  • tailwindhome
    I've been reading that there may be issues running Sky Go on some android tablets.

Before I pull the trigger on the Nexus can anyone give me good advice on this?

Thanks
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Get the Samsung Tab 2 from Currys - £119 plus 8gb Sd Card after £50 cashback

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-7-tablet-8-gb-14272574-pdt.html

I have the the Kindle HD and its not child friendly - bit of a pain to get your own(ripped) movies onto it and very low on useful apps.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Paul E wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Shame you didn't get an HTC. The Sense UI is superb - easily the best I've tried on mobile.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Picked up a Galaxy Tab 2 7" at the weekend for the new £119 price. Immediately upgraded to JellyBean and loving it. Unfortunately its going to cost me more money as its highlighted how bad the wifi performance in our lounge is so a new bridge is required so that I can surf'n'stream properly there. Kids are enjoying the games too, though the wife's less keen due to the kids/games issue.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Paul E wrote:
    What device did you have? The one you had sounds cheap or faulty or both. Shame to let it cloud your decision in relation to the world's best selling mobile platform.

On the subject of the Kindle Fire HD - the Amazon front-end is absolutely horrific and you need to hack it to get Google Play installed which is just stupid.

Of front-ends in general HTC Sense is by far the best and better than Google's default imo. Later versions of Samsung Touchwiz are good as well and at the moment I'm leaving it as it is on my new Samsung Galaxy S3. If I get bored with it though I will simply flash my phone with a custom ROM.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Paul E
    Daz555 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    What device did you have? The one you had sounds cheap or faulty or both. Shame to let it cloud your decision in relation to the world's best selling mobile platform.

On the subject of the Kindle Fire HD - the Amazon front-end is absolutely horrific and you need to hack it to get Google Play installed which is just stupid.

Of front-ends in general HTC Sense is by far the best and better than Google's default imo. Later versions of Samsung Touchwiz are good as well and at the moment I'm leaving it as it is on my new Samsung Galaxy S3. If I get bored with it though I will simply flash my phone with a custom ROM.

Galaxy S2 so not cheap or low end hardware and all updated using offical software, no strange builds etc, If google really wanted to wipe the floor with everyone they would instigate a design policy where apps have a difined interface flow, even their own apps don't even follow that with buttons all over the place, it doesn't make it easy to pick the device up and just use it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Paul E wrote:
    If google really wanted to wipe the floor with everyone they would try and mimic apple
    FTFY.

Android's strength is its openness and flexibility. Apple's strength is their rigid control of the whole system: hardware, software, content delivery. That and the blind tribal loyalty that gets people to believe things like "you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond", apparently on all android phones - despite the fact that rather a lot of us (about 72% of the market atm) don't seem to have a lot to gripe about.

Come to think of it, coming from behind to take 72% of the market does sound a bit like wiping the floor doesn't it?
  • tailwindhome
    I've been reading that there may be issues running Sky Go on some android tablets.

Thanks

Anyone?

Is this whole Android thing a bit like Shimano V Campagnolo?
  • vermin
    Oh for goodness sake people, let's not get into another OS flame war. Android is just better, end of. :twisted:

Thanks

Sky was slow to roll out support for its programme; if I recall correctly, they first supported a couple of Galaxy devices (S2 being one, I think). I don't know how far they've got with the roll out, but would be surprised if Nexus devices weren't high up on the list. Best asking someone who's got one (boffin?)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

Thanks

Anyone?

I would say not: The Apple platform is essentially proprietry, whereas the Android platform is more open. If you want what Apple offer, and are happy to pay for it, then it's all very tidy and clean and lovely. If you want something that's not part of their concept of how you should use the device then you may not find the offering as satisfying- might cost you more or you might even not be able to do it (at least, not easily).

If you are already a fan of iTunes etc, then an iThing will likely work very well for activities that align well with the store and associated ecosystem.

Android devices give you more flexibility, sometimes at the cost of ease-of-use. They also steer you toward the Google ecosystem, which you may or may not find as attractive or as offensive as the Apple one...

I have been irritated recently that your options are restricted if you arn't linked to one or other of these ecosystems, though: As a relatively trivial example: Kew Gardens offers a mobile app for "both iPhone and Android"... if you have a Blackberry or a Symbian device you're not going to join the party... Maybe W8 will come, maybe not...

There is obviously a wider choice of Android devices (both in terms of format and price/performance, quality etc) but some of them arn't particularly good. The Apple products may be pricey but they are good products... as long as they do what you want (by design) you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Don't know if this is helpful or not... It seems to me there there are some important distinctions between the two platforms but that may be transparent to many consumers.

If there are key activities you want the thing for (eg viewing BBC titles on iPlayer, Streaming films from LoveFilm, providing remote connectivity to UNIX platforms running X11, storing your entire music collection) then it'd be worth checking which meets those requirements best, as pretty much any of them will do basic web-browsing, email, social media etc adequately.

Cheers,
    W.
  • vermin

A bit, in some ways. It's similar in that there are a lot of zealots out there who irrationally support one side or the other, but dissimilar in that it's more complex.

If, for example, Campag were only compatible with and available on Carrera bikes from Halfords, and you could only fit Halfords wheels, Halfords pedals and Halfords brake pads, then one could draw a parallel with iOS. You couldn't go wrong - you just walk into any Halfords shop and know that everything in there will fit together perfectly. But you'd be stuck with whatever Halfords supplies in the way of frames and all other ancillaries and at the prices Halfords decides are appropriate.

If, on the other hand Shimano stuff were available anywhere and were compatible with all frames, wheels, pedals, etc from all other suppliers, then that might be equivalent to Android. You might have to think a bit with regard to getting stuff to work seamlessly, but you could end up with a much more capable bike.

I can give you a little practical example from this morning. I logged onto Strava on my work PC, to be greeted by a banner warning me that Strava will, in two weeks, be incompatible with Windows 8, which is installed on the PC. The employer won't be upgrading, and I'm not allowed to install anything else, so that's that. Except it isn't, because I have an Android phone, which can be plugged into the PC and used as a USB mass storage device, from which I can run a copy of Portable Firefox on the PC, instantly resolving the problem (and thus allowing me to continue to shirk work). Not possible on iOS*.

Go on someone, tell me I'm wrong.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I really like the original Kindle. It's just for reading, but cracking device.

For phones, HTC is the choice for me. I once bought an iPod and had to use iTunes, which put me off Apple forever. Tried a Samsung Galaxy S2, but couldn't stand it. HTC make Android better, Samsung make it a mess. (although I gather this has been improved).
    exercise.png
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm thinking about getting a new phone for the stupid reason the keyboard on my current one is incrediblly laggy (and I can afford one now).

Thinking of either the HTC One S or the LG Optimus 4X HD atm.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Got the 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Note with £80 cashback.

It is f*cking sweet.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    vermin wrote:

A bit, in some ways. It's similar in that there are a lot of zealots out there who irrationally support one side or the other, but dissimilar in that it's more complex.

If, for example, Campag were only compatible with and available on Carrera bikes from Halfords, and you could only fit Halfords wheels, Halfords pedals and Halfords brake pads, then one could draw a parallel with iOS. You couldn't go wrong - you just walk into any Halfords shop and know that everything in there will fit together perfectly. But you'd be stuck with whatever Halfords supplies in the way of frames and all other ancillaries and at the prices Halfords decides are appropriate.

If, on the other hand Shimano stuff were available anywhere and were compatible with all frames, wheels, pedals, etc from all other suppliers, then that might be equivalent to Android. You might have to think a bit with regard to getting stuff to work seamlessly, but you could end up with a much more capable bike.

I can give you a little practical example from this morning. I logged onto Strava on my work PC, to be greeted by a banner warning me that Strava will, in two weeks, be incompatible with Windows 8, which is installed on the PC. The employer won't be upgrading, and I'm not allowed to install anything else, so that's that. Except it isn't, because I have an Android phone, which can be plugged into the PC and used as a USB mass storage device, from which I can run a copy of Portable Firefox on the PC, instantly resolving the problem (and thus allowing me to continue to shirk work). Not possible on iOS*.

Go on someone, tell me I'm wrong.

Possibly a trifle harsh comparing the lovely loveliness* that is Apple and all things related (especially packaging) to Halfrauds. But seems about right.

* That's what my brainwashed friends would tell you
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Paul E wrote:
    Galaxy S2 so not cheap or low end hardware and all updated using offical software, no strange builds etc, If google really wanted to wipe the floor with everyone they would instigate a design policy where apps have a difined interface flow, even their own apps don't even follow that with buttons all over the place, it doesn't make it easy to pick the device up and just use it.
    Something was seriously up with your S2 by the sounds of it - S2 was without question the stand-out mobile phone in 2011.

As for Google controlling things more. No thanks - leave that to Apple. People need difference - some people like the Apple controlled user experience of iOS, others prefer the more open style of Google and Android. Oddly on mobiles this means that most people have gone Android but on tablets most people have gone iOS.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tailwindhome
    Just pulled the trigger on the Nexus 7 32 GB £199

Finally made up my mind yesterday when Sky announced that the Sky Go service was now available to run on this android device.

Thanks for the advice folks
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Just pulled the trigger on the Nexus 7 32 GB £199

Finally made up my mind yesterday when Sky announced that the Sky Go service was now available to run on this android device.

Thanks for the advice folks

£189.99 at Sainsbury's

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus-7 ... er-1404961
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mrs Prawny has got me one of these for christmas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251193273444? ... 1439.l2649

We got one for the Shrimp and Shrimpette each to keep their filthy toddler hands off the iPad, they're so good I thought I'd have one for the train and lunchtime dossing.

A bit light on RAM so no hardcore multi-tasking but for e-reading video watching and the like they're great.

Oh and Android for me. I had an iPhone for a few months, too inflexible for me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • vermin
    Sort of on-topic, sort of not, but does anyone know if it's possible/easy to completely lock down an Android tablet? I'd like the ability to disable the app store, the web browser and access to the settings etc, so that it would become an appliance dedicated to one or two functions. Full functionality would be accessible upon entering a password. Is this possible?
  • apreading
    vermin wrote:
    Sort of on-topic, sort of not, but does anyone know if it's possible/easy to completely lock down an Android tablet? I'd like the ability to disable the app store, the web browser and access to the settings etc, so that it would become an appliance dedicated to one or two functions. Full functionality would be accessible upon entering a password. Is this possible?

Perhaps you need the Kurio?

http://www.gadgetshowlive.net/page.cfm/ ... EntryID=37

[edit] or the newer Nabi 2 http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/19 ... y-awesome/
  • Paul E
    I have a galaxy tab2 7 coming free after I bought one of their nx210 cameras with 100 cashback.