Kindle Fire HD - What's the craic?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
edited December 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm Technoagnostic.

Looking for inspiration for eldest daughter's (10) Christmas present. This seems like a great piece of kit for the price

What does an idiot like me need to know to make a good buying decision?
What parental controls can I apply so she is only using it in an appropriate way?
Is it a bottomless money pit of downloads?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    We have lots of tablets at work, I think all of us prefer the Nexus 7. Nicer Operating System on it (Android, rather than Amazon's annoying Android skin), nicer shape (Nexus is more widescreen, Kindle is more square) and nicer feel to it (just nicer to hold).

Downloads can cost a lot on any tablet, but only if you let them. There are lots of good free apps.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I've been weighing up the same thing. I had decided on the nexus 7 to as per pangolin, but then there's a part of me that thinks the iPad might be the better bet after using one at the weekend. That are so much more expensive though! Any reasons why I would want to pay twice as much?
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My sister just got a Kindle Fire for her birthday, but I haven't seen it yet. When I've had a play with it I'll post my opinions. I am a regular iPad user, so I'll be able to compare it with that.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dont get a kindle fire. get a nexus 7.

im an android user, have a samsung s3 and ive removed all traces of samsung from the device. (apart from the logo on the hardware). The kindle devices are so locked down and restricted to just kindle content that it completely ruins the point of having a tablet.

Alternatively buy her an actual kindle so she reads.

Also the play store has restrictions, you can put a PIN to stop her buying stuff without your permission. But there are so many free apps that you dont necessarily need to pay for anything
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've been weighing up the same thing. I had decided on the nexus 7 to as per pangolin, but then there's a part of me that thinks the iPad might be the better bet after using one at the weekend. That are so much more expensive though! Any reasons why I would want to pay twice as much?

The general view is that the Amazon & Google devices are being sold near cost in order to make money on either content or search/data revenue, whilst the Apple tactic is to make a profit on the device. I'd look at your use case- if it's mostly for reading, Amazon; general use, Nexus and Apple if you're keen on the app selection (and/or already have an iDevice).
  • pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    pangolin wrote:

No, but how do you pronounce their name? My first attempt was 'anal'.

Now there's a quote if ever I saw one.

They should have called it the suppository.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1 on Nexus 7
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It's got android on it and after a bad experience, I'm out
  • pangolin
    Paul E wrote:
    It's got android on it and after a bad experience, I'm out

Very helpful :D

Did the robot touch you?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get an iPad. Haters will hate, but the fact is if you're not an uber geek then Apple's products are the easiest to use. So simple that even my Dad can manage (and he can't even turn on a desktop PC). They are certainly very child friendly as well. In addition there are far more Apps available than any other device - including a kindle e-reader app. The new iPad mini would be ideal for a smaller person - it's lighter and easier to hold. Yes they're more expensive than the competition but they are very well designed and built. Also IME Apple products hold their value well; I just recycled my iPad 1 which I've had since launch (3 years or so) and I got £150 for it which I put towards a mini.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Oooh, good question. I was thinking of buying a Kindle FireHD for the EPO. She's got a regular Kindle which she loves, she's probably read 200 books on it this year. So I thought of upgrading her to one of those so she could do more.
    Should she keep the regular Kindle for reading and I gte her a Nexus 7 for other stuff? Ease of use is really important for her. Much as I'd like to get her an iPad they are just too much money.
    Thank you oh great hive mind.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    it doesnt have more apps any more. they both have around 700,000

Have you held a nexus 7? Its on a par with anything Apple have made.

Theres a Kindle reader app on android

i much prefer reading on my actual kindle than on my tablet, easier to read, better weight for reading.
  • tailwindhome
    The first result on a search for Nexus 7 on Bing brings up a Sheldon Brown article on the Shimano group set.

LOL
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:
    it doesnt have more apps any more. they both have around 700,000

Have you held a nexus 7? Its on a par with anything Apple have made.

Theres a Kindle reader app on android

i much prefer reading on my actual kindle than on my tablet, easier to read, better weight for reading.

Kindle is better for pure reading, no doubt, but no good for anything else. I've played with a Nexus but it's not as nice. It's thicker and made of glass and plastic rather than glass and metal. Doesn't feel as well put together. Mini has a better battery as well (according to independent tests). The main point though is that iOS is just easier to use for non-techy people. If I were the OP i'd be looking at Apple or Google though, not the Fire.
  • I'm looking for a tablet for my elderly mum, but 10 inch rather than 7. The Ipad looks lovely to use but I'm concerned about the ability to copy all the videos and photos across from my digital collection, the device needs to be stand alone (i.e. no use of a computer for itunes). Ideally don't want to use any software to load content so an android tablet seems to make more sense (use it as a USB drive to copy items on), also some android devices have memory card slots.

Her use? General web browsing, iplayer / other catch up TV, and shopping, plus looking at gazillions of photos and videos of the grandchild. She already has a kindle for reading.

Do Ipads still need to have a host computer for itunes?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The first result on a search for Nexus 7 on Bing brings up a Sheldon Brown article on the Shimano group set.

LOL

You know how google personalises search results..... :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul E
    I had a galaxy s2, great hardware let down horibbly by android, the web broswer would lock up the whole phone when trying to type more than three words, getting music on it was a total nightmare, the volume steps are far to coarse, one step would be too quiet the next one too loud.

I could go on but it wasn't an experience I wanted to carry on with so I got rid and went back to a 3GS which just works and doesn't need any tweaking to get it to do what I want.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    bails87 wrote:

LOL

You know how google personalises search results..... :wink:
    In which case, does DDD get Bladerunner links?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    My wife and I bought her mum a Kobo for her 60th.
    She doesn't use it as an e-reader (our main intention), but as a tablet only - she loves it.

£150
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    **Thread Hijack**

Similar situation regarding a Tab device:

I need:

7" screen
    Wifi b/g/n
    Bluetooth (A2P2) audio streaming
    HDMI out
    Android o/s
    SD slot for extra storage
    Possibly 3G - not a realistic 'need'.

Must be able to: Stream Music to a bluetooth device, HDMI out video to the TV (Stream internet TV/Movies), Internet, email, Games for Junior (i.e. tough build quality)

My list is:

Samsung Galaxy 7"
    Google Nexus

Any other thoughts/experiences?

**Junior is getting her first bicycle for Christmas!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nexus 7 and Samsung anything really beats everything else on the market right now.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    What's the Samsung UI like?

I've got an iPad and an iPhone but I'm not tied to Apple at all; some of the menu navigation and their walled garden approach to apps drive me up the wall. I tried a Sony tab out the other day and after about 30s I was ready to break it in half with my forehead like some kind of game show task.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The first result on a search for Nexus 7 on Bing brings up a Sheldon Brown article on the Shimano group set.

LOL
    You're using Bing.

LOL
  • tailwindhome
    JamesB5446 wrote:

LOL
    You're using Bing.

LOL

Meh! The work laptop always defaults to Bing. Maybe I should change something somewhere but Meh!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Bing is useful for one thing... Getting to Google.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • True talk.

I work in a school for children with learning disabilities. Our computers are set to Bing as the home page. Even the kids know to search for Google first.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Compare the meerkat... Ten ipad mini alternatives

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.
  • asprilla
    CiB wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Kindle is effectively a portal to Amazon, but may have misread it. Probably.

They gave the Sony Experia S 80%. That's the one I wanted to break.

It's UI plays the baboon's rusty trombone.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Paul E
    Asprilla wrote:
    CiB wrote:

They gave the Sony Experia S 80%. That's the one I wanted to break.

It's UI plays the baboon's rusty trombone.

That's android for you and the annoying lag inducing skins they put over the top of it, that's if it detects the touch, sometimes you end up prodding the screen two or three times to get it to respond, I wouldn't touch another android device with a very big barge pole.