Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,479

Yonks ago, when I was still Lake Districting fairly regularly, it was a joy to see young children there simply out enjoying walks with no sense of "Is it much further?" I don't think I'd have had that spring in my step at that age, so kudos to parents who instil a joy of walking in young children.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,607
    edited August 22

.one thing that impacted me most about COVID lockdown was people visiting where I lived, from the nearby towns. It was basically a lot of bored young people in branded sports gear baffled but enjoying all of this green stuff and water.

Sadly they never buggered off from whence they came, and the local beauty spot became a honey trap. Hey ho, for the greater good I suppose.

Good on you oraloon, and well done for learning English also.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936

Idiots is Wales thinking speed restrictions apply to closed road events.

Does the TdF slow down through villages? 🤣🤣🤣

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4glzl7e157o

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

I don't know why a couple of miles of 20mph is any different from a number of other situations where support vehicles can't follow closely. Sounds like organisers said we can't slow down and someone has pointed out the consequences. Silly.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657

It's getting better these days don't you think? The emmets all buggering off back to Falaraki again.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect

I have no comparison down here to be honest. Seems not that bad, but fairly busy on Dartmoor. I haven't ventured to the coast, but I'm finding the Tamar fairly busy with idiots in power boats.

In Scotland it is like this in the Trossachs, but other than a few hot spots near reservoirs, v easy to avoid in the Borders. If you go north, also easy to find deserted places. E.g. anywhere other than Skye, Loch Ness or the NC500.

• briantrumpet

One of the 'joys' of living in Devon/Cornwall is the influx of tourists in the school hols, especially August, and anywhere 'pretty' gets busy (unless you go to Bodmin Moor, and TBH, I'm not sure why anyone would want to go there). Even in the school holidays though, Dartmoor's less touristy areas offer plenty of space and lonely walking. Anywhere pretty on the coast (and that's most of it) will be rammed if the sun comes out, so I've avoided... though, thinking about it, I've not been in Devon for August for twelve years. Yay.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

Seaton was dead as... Charmouth was quite busy, but still not heaving.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Ah yes, Seaton. There might be a reason for that. Surprised about Charmouth.

Actually, TBH, Budleigh Salterton used not to be too bad, as it offers little in the way of seaside 'tat' for people/families who like that sort of stuff... they've got Dawlish Warren and Exmuff to keep 'em amused.

I don't begrudge tourists there, or here in France, as they fund a lot of the facilities for the rest of the year.

• First.Aspect

There are quite corners, but they are usually quiet because they are either a bastard to get to or shit when you get there. I'd put Seaton in the slightly shit bracket.

I think I know pretty much every road on Dartmoor, so I know what it's like. And it is fine for cycling even at the busiest times, unless you do Haytor or Mortonhampsted. When there are Range Rover jams, I can just cycle past.

Bodmin moor is awesome in places. Particularly as no one visits.

• briantrumpet

Haha, yes, I remember one time a jam on the hill up out of Moreton towards Postbridge, involving a coach and a caravan or two coming from opposite directions, so I just cycled past, as one does. It was a nice quiet road after that for some miles, while they sorted themselves out.

• rjsterry

I like that Seaton isn't super busy, but it still seems to be struggling to recover from the lockdowns. Someone has at least taken over the Seaton Jurassic building and there's a big development of flats going up on the seafront, but there are way too many empty units in the town and not surprising given how few shoppers there were.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

I'm slightly confused by it all as I seem to recall that the last time I organised races there was something in the permit that effectively removed speed limits and other TROs whilst the race past through (plus all races in Wales were covered by NEG who had the full police powers to control traffic through the CSAS scheme. Whilst limits in places have reduced to 20mph it's not as though anyone could guarantee that the previous 30mph (or even 40mph) limits wouldn't be exceeded in race conditions. Given all that I'm not sure what this Welsh Government scheme that has apparently failed is supposed to do.

• briantrumpet

Yeah, it's a pity, but it's looked like that for a long time... doesn't really draw people back, unlike pretty much all the other Jurassic Coast beaches.

• Pross

Being asked by someone from BBC Wales for consent to use some of the photos I took of the supermoon over the Second Severn Bridge the other night. Not sure if / when / where they'll be used though.

• pblakeney

A query. Where were your shots shared that the BBC saw them? I'd like to think here but doubt it.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

No, it was on a Welsh landscape photography page on Facebook. They quite often ask someone for permission. Part of me thinks I should have said no as they presumably do it to avoid paying a professional for use of their pictures but given the amount of photos out there they'll always find something to use. It surprises me how much some professional landscape photographers charge for a copy of their photos in this day and age.

• pblakeney

"It surprises me how much some professional landscape photographers charge for a copy of their photos in this day and age."

It's a balancing act. Charge too much and get zero sales, charge too little and go out of business anyway. Hard times for pro's, and a lesson to all those wanna be's.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

It's tough on proper professional photographers that the ease of digital photography has devalued their work - that's not to say that they don't get fantastic shots still, but as I know, the average punter is quite happy with vaguely well-framed and technically averagely proficient tat, without the added layers of professionalism you'd get from a, er, pro.

The upside of being a trumpeter is that most people know only too well when something isn't technically proficient, and no fancy equipment will mask technical weakness or artistic vacuity. It's why I can charge good fees for my parping but not my snapping (which I give away for free, which, of course rather helps undermine the photographic profession). On the trumpet I can be upfront enough to say to people who hesitate over the fee "Well, if you think you can get someone as good for less, please feel free to ask them."

• briantrumpet

A good (cycling) friend took one or two stunning photos (on his very fancy camera, in RAW) when he was on some organised tour in Canada. The tour company asked if they could use them for free in their brochure. He offered to sell them for a sensible/decent fee (as he didn't need the money, but thought they should pay, if they wanted them) based on what a pro would charge. They declined. They missed a truly great shot by being stingy.

• pblakeney
    edited August 23

I think there are views on what is worth getting. Acceptable, good, stunning, and keep on the wall for years.

There has to be a level of expertise* and time put in to getting the latter and the buyer decides if it is worth the money. This type of discussion is similar to when I was working freelance and staff members would ask why I should get paid so much more than them. Simple answer - If it's so easy you go do it.

Anyway, it cheers me up when people say I should go pro even if I know that would be doomed to failure.

*You can get lucky with modern tech and being in the right place at the right time.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

On my cruise last year I ended up sending some of my Northern Lights photos to a few other couples we met. They’d paid hundreds to go on an hours long trip to the middle of nowhere but didn’t manage to take decent photos. The onboard photographer had gone with them but they didn’t think his pictures were any better than mine that I got from walking to a quiet harbour 45 minutes across town. Personally I thought theirs were better as they had less light pollution although I had a more interesting location. I wouldn’t have paid money for theirs though.

Event photos such as those at running races are the worst though. Literally just burst shots with no real thought or quality and they’ll charge £30 for the digital files.

• pblakeney

£30 sounds like a real rip off! I think I paid €8. Cheers me up that I got a (relative) bargain. 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

It's obviously absolutely true that you get better with practice (as long as you also practise your self-criticism/reflection), which is made so much easier and cheaper with the thousands of rubbish shots you can afford to delete. Unfortunately there are far too many amateurs who think they need to publish every photo they take.

This thread actually highlights why I like CS - we all seem to open to listening to helpful advice and sharing experiences, rather than it being hostile criticism or everything being "brilliant!"

I'm still getting better at my 'tat', but have go no wish nor any illusions about getting beyond that.

• briantrumpet

Oh, but I meant to add that I think with experience you increase your strike rate for 'lucky photos'... having an idea of 'when' and 'where' you might get lucky come in handy.

• rjsterry

We employ professionals to photograph our completed projects. As PB says, you might get a couple of really nice shots as an amateur, but we need 20-30 great shots from a day's shoot, not one or two. And we need the shots processed and back to us promptly.

The travel company will probably have used a stock photo instead, which will still cost something but nowhere near what you'd pay to commission someone specifically.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

My final words on the subject so as not to derail it too far. I follow a few pro photographers on YT. Those who discuss financials reveal that they make very little from sales, a large percentage from doing courses but the vast majority comes from sponsorship/YT. The idea of taking photos and selling them as a living is so last century.

Being a press/tour/event photographer may be a job but it's unlikely to be lucrative.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596

There might be some slight confirmation bias that the ones you follow on YT are the ones making good money on YT...

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

Yup. Another cycling friend of mine is a professional photographer who does a lot of work for higher-end estate agents, and what he can get out of a morning's work is worth every penny, when you see the quality of the brochures. He knows how to make even a bit of a run-down dump look good.

• briantrumpet

Oh, as this isn't the photography thread, I'm pleased that at last I've downsized my kitchen pedal bin - the old one was a 50L jobby, and as very little goes in it (but including food waste), it would get smelly after just a few days in the summer, and there would be a 50L sack with about 10L of waste. I now have a much smarter 20L bin, so there will be a lot less waste of plastic in the sacks I use. And it's shiny stainless steel rather than grey plastic.