Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747

Growing moss in the window sills and around the top rear brake light.

Needs a clean in and out.

The newer model Polo is a big improvement if small slowish cars are your thing. Drove back from Liverpool last weekend with my kid in hers and it was actually quite bearable/didn't have to floor it to keep up speed on the inclines.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

masjer said:

Pinno slipping in a humblebrag that he owns 3 cars.

But he gets very upset people spend a lot of money on clothes and coffee machines and there is too much packaging in the world

Whilst sitting in my mansion overlooking the lake, I read your post using the word humblebrag. I didn't know that word, so looked it up on my diamond encrusted PC-cheers, you learn something new every day
    :)

Likewise, while looking out of the window to the 3 cars on the driveway below, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Then I remembered this is Cake Stop.

How's your 1 litre Polo Rick? ;)
    Has he upgraded? I thought it was a 0.9l.
    I was trying to big him up a bit :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,906
    Stevo_666 said:

The newer model Polo is a big improvement if small slowish cars are your thing. Drove back from Liverpool last weekend with my kid in hers and it was actually quite bearable/didn't have to floor it to keep up speed on the inclines.
    Double the price though, innit. And what for? I clearly don't drive it enough, hence the moss.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,098

Stevo_666 said:

Double the price though, innit. And what for? I clearly don't drive it enough, hence the moss.

And I'm the same, hence the lichen. The hope will be to keep my £700 car for ten years. Though if it grew moss, I might remove it, as that might work against my hope. Lichen is a better environmental choice, I think, at least as far as the bodywork is concerned.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Better car as mentioned - up to you if you think it's worth it/can afford it. Would guess you'll need something else at some point. Although I still subscribe to the old adage that life's too short to drive a bland/crap car.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,721
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better car as mentioned - up to you if you think it's worth it/can afford it. Would guess you'll need something else at some point. Although I still subscribe to the old adage that life's too short to drive a bland/censored car.
    What if you don't have a car at all? Are you effectively dead?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better car as mentioned - up to you if you think it's worth it/can afford it. Would guess you'll need something else at some point. Although I still subscribe to the old adage that life's too short to drive a bland/censored car.
    What if you don't have a car at all? Are you effectively dead?
    If you really don't need one then fine. But if you do need a car, I say avoid bland/cr@p ones.
  • rick_chasey
    TBH my main criteria is: four door, small enough I'm not gonna prang it every five minutes, cheap enough that when i do prang it it's not a problem, light enough that I get good MPG out of it.

I find not giving a sh!t about my car and if it's scratched by someone else etc remarkably liberating. Can recommend.

A bit like a pub bike.
  • TheBigBean
    🥱

(I've been learning about yellow blobs).
  • TBH my main criteria is: four door, small enough I'm not gonna prang it every five minutes, cheap enough that when i do prang it it's not a problem, light enough that I get good MPG out of it.

I find not giving a sh!t about my car and if it's scratched by someone else etc remarkably liberating. Can recommend.

A bit like a pub bike.

You would have loved company cars
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,955
    I feel like bitcoin, tesla and gamestop fans all have similar energy.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    pangolin said:

You're massively overthinking how much thought online retailers give to which products generate review requests.

Perhaps but they are not a big company and smaller companies have to try and compete.

I think it's just down to software:

Product gets sold > triggers review software > send email with link.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909

TBH my main criteria is: four door, small enough I'm not gonna prang it every five minutes, cheap enough that when i do prang it it's not a problem, light enough that I get good MPG out of it.

A bit like a pub bike.

It is possible to drive a good car and not give a sh!t.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I don't earn enough for that, nor do have "on property" parking. Cars get pranged here whilst parked up almost daily > there's a geezer with a MASSIVE black volvo XC90 and the guy spends *so much time* trying to park it and getting stressed because someone's scratched the corner or whatever. He's paid all that money and he just stresses about it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,804

A bit like a pub bike.

Am torn between my innate fussiness over taking care of tools and thinking of it as a glorified wheelbarrow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    I appreciate it's a rather southern European approach to car ownership. If it has a dent it in that's another panel you don't need to worry about denting...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,098

I appreciate it's a rather southern European approach to car ownership. If it has a dent it in that's another panel you don't need to worry about denting...

I counted the pranged cars parked in one street in Rome the one time I went there (by bike, of course), and I think it was near 50%. Yes, I know, amazingly low.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,840

A bit like a pub bike.

You would have loved company cars
    Not so much anymore, the penultimate one I had I ended up spending a small fortune on valeting and 'magic' dent / scratch repair before it went back as a few colleagues had been stung for cleaning and repair costs that should have been covered by wear and tear.

I still ended up with my employer, who I was leaving, withholding several hundred of my final salary 'just in case' despite me sending them the inspection reporting giving it the all clear. I ended up getting a friendly solicitor to do me a letter telling them to release the money or else (after a slightly less professional threat to the FD by phone!).
  • pinno

Pinno slipping in a humblebrag that he owns 3 cars.

But he gets very upset people spend a lot of money on clothes and coffee machines and there is too much packaging in the world

For clarity (and I don't know why I should justify myself; your veiled sarcasm is a cheap shot btw):

I was intrigued by the extra expense of the addition of a Rapha badge. I did say that I thought that the Rocket machines did look good and although I could afford one, I wouldn't spend that much on a coffee machine.
    Let's face it - Prada et el, is extortionate for what it is/does.
    So is Assos, so is Rapha.

...and plastic. So I drive a Porsche and therefore, have no concern for the environment?! That's a bizarre correlation.

If you think that driving your Polo/Up/Aygo is saving the planet, then you are in cloud cuckoo land.
    China has 1082 coal fired power stations. Some on here, have quite rightly questioned the true validity of electric cars - the source of the power to charge them and the resources required to build them.
    I don't live in an urban area. If I did, I wouldn't have my Porkers. I also live in the sticks and there's no way we could live here without transport. Sometimes, I take the bus.

I drive a Porsche, therefore I can have no valid concerns for the environment.

Bollox. Refer to the previous paragraph.

My carbon offset from recycling over the last 16 years is such that I could fly around the world 2 and 3/4 times and still be carbon negative. I vow never to fly again. I last flew in 2015.
    I drive less than 10k p.a.
    Although not as a direct concern for the environment, more of a long term financial consideration, when I renovated this house, I fully insulated it, rewired it and as a result, my monthly electricity bill has until recently, been less than £75 per month. Its a 3 bed detached. I would like to think that the house I live in has a low carbon footprint* (by default I concede, rather then design). Add that we recycle everything we can, try to cut down on plastic waste, do lots of things around the garden from hedgehog 'homes' to a myriad of bird boxes, bird feeders, bee 'houses', wood piles for instects, flowering perennials, trying to keep the hedges well cut and dense for habitat etc, I would like to think that I am doing my (tiny) bit for the environment. I also never use pesticides. I have used Ivy killer in the past because the garden was swamped but no more - the remainder removed by hand.
    I have and never will have any qualms about buying second hand clothes for myself and the girls.
    I am neither profligate or materialistic but if I do spend, I tend to try and buy good quality stuff because if you buy cheap, you buy twice. For people on low incomes, this is difficult.
    The environment suffers because of poor quality, cheap goods, especially white/electrical goods.

*When the govt decides to give out grants (in Scotland), I will install an Air Source heating system. Until then, I can't justify the outlay.

I support selective conservation and environmental concerns to the tune of £xxxxK a year. I prefer not to give it to the taxman.

Don't think that pranging your VW is going to be cheap to repair. It's a VW and it sounds like it is in poor condition and not well maintained. It could probably be written it off from the most seemingly innocuous bash.
    If your 1 litre VW is not serviced and looked after properly, it could potentially spew out pollutants like the Exxon Valdez.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909
    Finding out that I have the original unedited version of Fairytale Of New York in my family Christmas playlist. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,741
    Given the somewhat less than pristine state of the bodywork on my now 16 (😳) yo L200, I ain't bovvered about where I park it. Except when thieving scrotes break in and nick my chainsaw trousers. I tend to get good clearance in the supermarket carpark for example. Dents 'n' scratches, who cares? vs mechanical reliability.
  • TheBigBean
    Without wishing to in any way take over Brian's job, isn't there a car thread?
  • rick_chasey
    oh pinno thou doth protest too much. I was winding you up.

• pinno

oh pinno thou doth protest too much. I was winding you up.

If only that were true.

• I wrote off a company car and got given a civic type R as a replacement.
  • pinno

I wrote off a company car and got given a civic type R as a replacement.

Nice.
    I don't think Ricks mouldy jalopy is a company car.
  • Stevo_666

A bit like a pub bike.

Pub bikes are fine but it's also nice to have a nice fast summer bike. Same for cars :)

Part of the problem is you're a townie and have to park on the street. Not a problem for the village dwellers...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

A bit like a pub bike.

Pub bikes are fine but it's also nice to have a nice fast summer bike. Same for cars :)

Part of the problem is you're a townie and have to park on the street. Not a problem for the village dwellers...
    There speaks the man who has lived in a village for maybe 4 weeks :p
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

A bit like a pub bike.

There speaks the man who has lived in a village for maybe 4 weeks :p
    8 weeks I'll have you know :) but still true...