Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,005
    10 mile walk in the Black Mountains today and literally didn't see a single person between leaving the car park where a dad and his two young kids were having a picnic and getting back to the car where two other pairs of walker's were just getting into their cars.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,531
    edited December 2021
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,223
    Roasting topside almost to perfection... maybe slightly less red than ideal, but it'll certainly do.

• pinno
    edited December 2021
    ^ barff.

Man discovered fire.
    Man disovered to cook on fire to make things easier to eat.
    FFWD 35,000 years and some silly chef somewhere decides that almost raw is good.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,984
    Quite ironic as well done is harder to chew.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,360
    pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.
    FFWD 35,000 years and some silly chef somewhere decides that almost raw is good.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

Almost raw??? Completely disagree.

I do find it strange that Brian seems to have decided that he should serve it up on the edge of his bath.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

My parents were like you. They preferred their beef close to cremated than needing a good vet.
  • briantrumpet
    edited December 2021
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

I do find it strange that Brian seems to have decided that he should serve it up on the edge of his bath.

I needed something to put the Bisto in.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

That's at least medium. I'm not a massive beef eater mainly as I'm lazy with food and always found it too much effort. I then discovered what PB said, that the more cooked it is the tougher it is to chew. Still don't like it rare but that photo looks about perfect.
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

Meh, watching too much MasterChef or been eating at those fancy restaurant where they put you food on a shovel or dustbin lid.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

That's at least medium. I'm not a massive beef eater mainly as I'm lazy with food and always found it too much effort. I then discovered what PB said, that the more cooked it is the tougher it is to chew. Still don't like it rare but that photo looks about perfect.

Yes, a bit better done than intended (I don't do it often enough to have the timing & temperatures practised), so would agree, medium, as there's no red stuff in the middle.

The real revelation on beef was my first fillet steak (diane), when I asked for medium rare (as even I knew it would have been sacrilege to have asked for any more cooking than that), and it was sooooo lovely. It was then that I realised that good beef lightly cooked was delicious. Well, if you like eating almost dead cow, that is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,108
    Not fans of steak tartare?
  • pinno

pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

My parents were like you. They preferred their beef close to cremated than needing a good vet.
    Cremation is the correct way to eat it.
    However, take 1 Brisket of Beef, place in a casserole pot with a tight fitting lid, pour most of a bottle of Port in with some herbs and seasoning, cook for 8 hours on a low heat.

The beef will be tender, easy to chew, have a sublime flavour and you can enjoy the most perfect Beef and red onion in a soft bap imaginable and a cold cuts to complement a salad.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

^ barff.

Man discovered fire.

I'm not a veggie BTW.

Cremation is the correct way to eat it.
    However, take 1 Brisket of Beef, place in a casserole pot with a tight fitting lid, pour most of a bottle of Port in with some herbs and seasoning, cook for 8 hours on a low heat.

The beef will be tender, easy to chew, have a sublime flavour and you can enjoy the most perfect Beef and red onion in a soft bap imaginable and a cold cuts to complement a salad.

Ah, now a brisket of beef is a different kettle of fish...

Yes, hours of slow cooking, and that is delicious too, but it's really a completely different meat from rarish topside or similar.
  • briantrumpet

Not fans of steak tartare?

I've actually never had it. I've no objection to trying it.
  • rick_chasey
    If you’re in a good place would definitely recommend it.

Works best as a starter or if you’re not hungry.
  • pinno
    I was asked and wrote a review and I also got a reply.

Ignition leads
    You have no idea the effect on my life since buying a set of Porsche ignition leads. It has been transformed. Before I bought them, I was lost. I tried religion and being a Buddhist and it never really did to me the things I wanted them to do for me. So I pulled the trigger and bought a set of Porsche 944 ignition leads and that was it. I haven't touched the ground since and I find myself smiling constantly. I was over the moon when I got the request to review the set of ignition leads and tell you all about the impact it had on my life, my mood and the way I now look forward to every step and every waking moment. Yeah, they got to me in good time and they work.

This is the reply by FrazerPart Porsche Parts:

Many thanks for your kind words. It's always good to start the working week knowing that our products and service has changed somebody's life! If your 944 makes you this happy, keep enjoying it. It's good for you! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and all your family. Regards all of us at FrazerPart
  • rick_chasey
    Pinno slipping in a humblebrag about his fancy car, there.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,592
    At least they put a spark back into your life.
  • pinno

I have 2 'fancy' cars. No sorry: 3; one of them is a 95 C Class Merc I bought for the mahoosive sum of £650.
    I am not quite sure how being an inverted snob fits in with owning 3 fancy cars.

Besides, you can pick non-turbo 944's up for £5k in reasonably good nick, so hardly 'fancy'. I have done a huge restoration on it over the past 2 years including an engine, gearbox, ECU transplant - complete 'bottom end' revamp. All by myself. Frazer Parts tested my ECU, the ABS ECU and the Air flow meter free of charge for me (I am a regular customer), they are good guys.
    My other is a 911. It's interesting how people over inflate it's value - by thousands and thousands. I don't have them for status. In fact, the perceived status of owning Porsches is the least desirable aspect. I am simply a petrol head and going around Knockhill or Croft in an Aygo isn't very interesting.
    I definitely could not afford to run them if I didn't do 90% of the work/servicing/repairs myself.

I put the post in because I am fed up of being asked to leave reviews for say... a handful of high tensile bolts or a laptop charger, or a set of Look cleats. 99% of the time, I just delete the request.
    The reviews are reviewed prior to publishing and I honestly thought Max (at Frazer parts) was going to call me and we would have a laugh about it but he obviously has a sense of humour and it is now on his web page.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,360
    pinno said:

I have 2 'fancy' cars. No sorry: 3; one of them is a 95 C Class Merc I bought for the mahoosive sum of £650.
    I am not quite sure how being an inverted snob fits in with owning 3 fancy cars.

Besides, you can pick non-turbo 944's up for £5k in reasonably good nick, so hardly 'fancy'. I have done a huge restoration on it over the past 2 years including an engine, gearbox, ECU transplant - complete 'bottom end' revamp. All by myself. Frazer Parts tested my ECU, the ABS ECU and the Air flow meter free of charge for me (I am a regular customer), they are good guys.
    My other is a 911. It's interesting how people over inflate it's value - by thousands and thousands. I don't have them for status. In fact, the perceived status of owning Porsches is the least desirable aspect. I am simply a petrol head and going around Knockhill or Croft in an Aygo isn't very interesting.
    I definitely could not afford to run them if I didn't do 90% of the work/servicing/repairs myself.

I put the post in because I am fed up of being asked to leave reviews for say... a handful of high tensile bolts or a laptop charger, or a set of Look cleats. 99% of the time, I just delete the request.
    The reviews are reviewed prior to publishing and I honestly thought Max (at Frazer parts) was going to call me and we would have a laugh about it but he obviously has a sense of humour and it is now on his web page.
    You're massively overthinking how much thought online retailers give to which products generate review requests.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    Pinno slipping in a humblebrag that he owns 3 cars.

But he gets very upset people spend a lot of money on clothes and coffee machines and there is too much packaging in the world
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,592

But he gets very upset people spend a lot of money on clothes and coffee machines and there is too much packaging in the world

Whilst sitting in my mansion overlooking the lake, I read your post using the word humblebrag. I didn't know that word, so looked it up on my diamond encrusted PC-cheers, you learn something new every day
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,863
    masjer said:

Whilst sitting in my mansion overlooking the lake, I read your post using the word humblebrag. I didn't know that word, so looked it up on my diamond encrusted PC-cheers, you learn something new every day
    :)

Likewise, while looking out of the window to the 3 cars on the driveway below, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Then I remembered this is Cake Stop.

How's your 1 litre Polo Rick? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

masjer said:

Likewise, while looking out of the window to the 3 cars on the driveway below, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Then I remembered this is Cake Stop.

Has he upgraded? I thought it was a 0.9l.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Stevo_666 said:

masjer said:

Still better than my 1.5 diesel scenic 😶
  • rick_chasey
    Growing moss in the window sills and around the top rear brake light.

Needs a clean in and out.
  • briantrumpet

Growing moss in the window sills and around the top rear brake light.

Needs a clean in and out.

Nooooo... not until it's got lichen growing on it!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,863
    johngti said:

Stevo_666 said:

masjer said:

Still better than my 1.5 diesel scenic 😶
    You know that diesels are the work of Satan - why else would the French drive so many of them?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]