Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460

... didn't even need to put my glasses on to see them.

Bollox.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,366
    pinno said:

... didn't even need to put my glasses on to see them.

Bollox.
    Very rarely use glasses for a screen or reading. Use them when driving, although my eyesight is good enough to be legal without them.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,085
    edited November 2021
    Getting the Graun to insert the word 'over' after 'protest' in their live blog headline this morning.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,460
    It would only need a semi colon surely?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

It would only need a semi colon surely?

British English needs a preposition with 'protest' (unless you're protesting your innocence) - similarly, Americans 'shop Walmart' whereas in Britain we (probably don't) 'shop at Walmart.

But yes, it did also need a semicolon rather than a comma.
  • briantrumpet
    I would have preferred 'protest against' rather than 'over'.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    Instagram mistranslating the Netherlands as the Underworld.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    Damon Albarn doing a live 'sofa session' on Jo Whiley's R2 show. Doing 'Don't You Want Me' ~ Human League ~ that man is just so good. Remember seeing Gorillaz live in Birmingham NIA years ago, was brilliant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,801
    The colours of the trees along the Avon Gorge driving along The Portway into Bristol this morning. It was a grey, horrible day but I can't recall ever seeing such beautiful autumn colours in this country. Really wish I could have stop to take some photos.
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2021
    People using 'criterion' as the correct singular of 'criteria'.

Mind you, I do enjoy winding up a linguist friend of mind by referring to 'candelabras', and 'a candelabra'. But at least I do it knowing the crime I'm committing.
  • ^^

Like, duuuude, you really need to get out more.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • briantrumpet

^^

Like, duuuude, you really need to get out more.

Language cheers me up. It's a game with infinite possibilities.
  • I went to a military school and the buglers there were phenomenal.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    I went to the 2018 / 100 years one in the village where I then lived. Girl bugler blew it, such a shame. Nerves got to her I guess.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,894

I went to a military school and the buglers there were phenomenal.

I misread that. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

I went to the 2018 / 100 years one in the village where I then lived. Girl bugler blew it, such a shame. Nerves got to her I guess.

Even the one at the Cenotaph screwed it up a few years ago - all the RM musicians I know were talking about it at the time. Poor guy will never ever live it down or forget the terror. As I say, nowhere to hide if the brain or body decides to have a laugh at your expense.
  • On the flipside I have sung a few times at St Pauls for the Seafarers Concert.

The RM band used to do the fanfare for the national anthem and Old 100th on one occasion. A properly spinetingling experience.

I was fortunate to have the St Andrew's Cathedral organist play at my wedding and he did a damn good job of belting it out on the tiny chapel organ.
  • briantrumpet

On the flipside I have sung a few times at St Pauls for the Seafarers Concert.

The RM band used to do the fanfare for the national anthem and Old 100th on one occasion. A properly spinetingling experience.

I was fortunate to have the St Andrew's Cathedral organist play at my wedding and he did a damn good job of belting it out on the tiny chapel organ.

Oh, that fanfare for the Old 100th is something else. I've played it in Bristol Cathedral, though I wasn't wearing a dead animal on my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Oar7O-ImY
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2021
    It's my favourite hymn. I am not sure the quality in that version is that good, though, which is a massive shame. I love the harmonies of the 3rd and 4th verse.

I quite like this version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jwyL4K88A

Some atrocious coughing, I've just noticed, though!

https://open.spotify.com/track/7EJS8s8BRTdjrUsQsbNb87?si=2440e7dc611c4639

this is a great recording
  • briantrumpet

It's my favourite hymn. I am not sure the quality in that version is that good, though, which is a massive shame. I love the harmonies of the 3rd and 4th verse.

I quite like this version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jwyL4K88A

Some atrocious coughing, I've just noticed, though!

https://open.spotify.com/track/7EJS8s8BRTdjrUsQsbNb87?si=2440e7dc611c4639

this is a great recording

Ah yes, that is much better. The solo trumpet in the second verse is much more to my liking

Also lovely to hear the legendary Sir David Willcocks introduce it. To my delight he actually came to a performance I was in of a Bach cantata, without my knowing, and wrote some very nice words about my playing.
  • veronese68

That our local record shop pulls together this lot

The last two gigs I've been to, quite some time apart due to Covid, have been the Who and the Specials. Both put on by Banquet Records, so within a short walk of home. We really are blessed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731

The last two gigs I've been to, quite some time apart due to Covid, have been the Who and the Specials. Both put on by Banquet Records, so within a short walk of home. We really are blessed.
    Speaking of which, must get round to booking that SLF gig at some point.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,801
    Finally getting to watch live rugby. Normal service resumed after a 600 odd day wait with a 42-3 win and 6 tries. Bit of a pointless, curtailed season though with teams only playing each other once and no promotion or relegation but just nice to be back there, enjoying the autumn colours in the Park whilst watching them blow off the rust.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Definitely
  • briantrumpet
    1) Managing to get home after the rear gear cable's snapped, by tying it off in a middle gear

2) Not having to delve deep into the shifter mechanism to remove the end of the cable or frayed ends.

3) Actually having some Jagwire gear cable outers in hand, and new cable cutters, so I was able do a proper job.

It probably ought to go in the annoying things, that I'd left it too long to replace the cable in the first place though.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,731

Stevo_666 said:

Definitely
    I've sent a message to the usual suspects on my side.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • 1) Managing to get home after the rear gear cable's snapped, by tying it off in a middle gear

2) Not having to delve deep into the shifter mechanism to remove the end of the cable or frayed ends.

3) Actually having some Jagwire gear cable outers in hand, and new cable cutters, so I was able do a proper job.

It probably ought to go in the annoying things, that I'd left it too long to replace the cable in the first place though.

Nice one!
    These things used to last a lifetime... :/