Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

pangolin said:

And as you've been told many many times, we could have done the same thing if we were in the EU.

But no matter. Carry on.

Like Germany, France Italy and the Netherlands who were made to scrap their procurement programme even though it was further advanced than the EU's?

But enough. I've been re-educated and am now with the programme. No hint of any benefit of Brexit will be countenanced.

In fact I won't mention the EU again. It's just so painful to think of all that milk and honey I'm missing out on, not to mention the pavements of gold.
    Someone disagreed with you. Get over it, buttercup.

FWIW, I don't think there is any chance we'd have done the same with the vaccine without having left, or at least without the Brexit mindset at the top.

There was an explanation of the historical reasons why this might be wrong a while back on here which made me a little bit less certain, but I think it's 100% we approved it quicker than if we weren't about to leave all the structures.
    There of course is the separate issue that, judging by how a lot of nations in the EU have caught up, it wasn't all that different in the end!
    If only we could go back in time and tell the people fretting about the time it was taking for the rollout to reach them the delay didn't matter. They would catch up in the end. 😏
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    On a plane, i'm a neurotic wreck.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Plane journeys are an opportunity to watch films that I want to watch.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,953
    pinno said:

Me to my then Boss: I f***ing hate flying
    Boss: WTF did you join the Airforce for?!
    Me: I'm not a bloody pilot!
  • pinno
    JimD666 said:

pinno said:

Me to my then Boss: I f***ing hate flying
    Boss: WTF did you join the Airforce for?!
    Me: I'm not a bloody pilot!
    You see - they give you a free parachute. You don't get them on commercial flights.
  • pinno
    Back OT:
    Made a Bee house. No, not hive - 'house'. Used up bits of Hep., a washing machine cold water inlet pipe, some bamboo, some sticks to create nooks and crannies, a few screws, some left over pressure treated 150mm x 20mm and a bit of Silicone to 'glue' it together.

• pinno
    The wood ain't rotten BTW, it's a bit muddy. I used it as a ramp for the wheelbarrow.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Rescued two bees from a spiders web in the garden this morning. Plenty of flies for the spider.
    Bee 1 very quickly off and away.
    Bee 2 required a major clean up operation during which he had to swear at both of my cats (with a little help from me).
    Off and away after about half an hour of balling up spider web. Damaged wing made me wonder is rescue would prove fruitless but he flew off quite happily.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    France being taken off the naughty step. Should give me an extra week here... though I'll not be changing my Eurotunnel ticket until very near the day... or be holding my breath.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    What's the chances of Spaffer's Gang doing a pfwaw bibble U-turn next month, next week, tomorrow...? Good luck with the reentry phase BT.

On the positive good feeling side, got myself another week booked up in that there Scottishland for September. Gravel bike to the ready.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    orraloon said:

What's the chances of Spaffer's Gang doing a pfwaw bibble U-turn next month, next week, tomorrow...? Good luck with the reentry phase BT.

Quite so. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it being summer , schools being out, and lots of things being out-of-doors, the dung won't hit the ventilation device before the first week of September. But who knows? Certainly not Spaffer...
  • ballysmate
    orraloon said:

On the positive good feeling side, got myself another week booked up in that there Scottishland for September. Gravel bike to the ready.

You do know that this is the cheer you up thread don't you?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,854
    People thinking the "rules" are taken seriously. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Are you coming to see me you miserable fecker?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692

orraloon said:

You do know that this is the cheer you up thread don't you?

Surely this is a win-win situation? :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Perhaps he is going 'All inclusive'?
    He'll get a blue and white wrist band so that he can help himself to buckie and smack.
  • The fact that wheelie bins have serial numbers. I don't know why that makes me smile, but it does.
  • elbowloh
    Things are still surfacing from boxes following our move.

Just found that the wife has a PJ and Duncan CD.

For the benefit of Rick, a CD as physical medium in which you used to buy and play music before everything was streamed.

PJ & Duncan were the names used by Ant and Dec before one had a nasty paintball accident that left one of them blind, since recovered.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    Receiving on order made online for some work trousers (Scruffs by name and by...) and finding their sizing has remained constant since last time I bought similar, many years ago. They only blxxdy well fit! 😊
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

For the benefit of Rick, a CD as physical medium in which you used to buy and play music before everything was streamed.

...and i'll just throw a curved ball into that one - Vinyl.

But (and 'it's a big but), lost of things have been released/re-released on Vinyl recently.
    Does that mean there is an uptake of decks and amps in a sort of throw back?

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,953
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

But (and 'it's a big but), lost of things have been released/re-released on Vinyl recently.

It's starting to head towards more people knowing what Vinyl is compared to CD's. Whats old is new again......
  • pinno
    Thankfully, I have all my old Hi Fi separates.
    Rotel Amp
    Marantz CD player
    Rega Planar deck
    Wharfedale speakers
    Pioneer tuner
    Pioneer CD burner.

The sound quality is stunning.

What do people do with their MP3's (I don't know what digital formats people use)? What do they play them on? Are you telling me that the sound quality from their iphone through an earphone is actually going to be good?

[Warning; impending nerd stampede]
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

Rotel Amp
    Marantz CD player
    Rega Planar deck
    Wharfedale speakers
    Pioneer tuner
    Pioneer CD burner.

What do people do with their MP3's (I don't know what digital formats people use)? What do they play them on? Are you telling me that the sound quality from their iphone through an earphone is actually going to be good?

Youngsters don't own music, they play music from a subscription service. On their phone or a smart speaker I would say. Some people might have some higher quality speakers (Sonos maybe?), but nothing like your separates.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2021
    pinno said:

To answer your question - Laptop -> DAC -> Amp -> Speakers.

Refer to this thread in order to avoid the stampede.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20757506#Comment_20757506
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,682
    pinno said:

Rotel Amp
    Marantz CD player
    Rega Planar deck
    Wharfedale speakers
    Pioneer tuner
    Pioneer CD burner.

RIp to flac, by a decent DAC and then play through the same set up with much more ease.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    JimD666 said:

pinno said:

elbowloh said:

It's starting to head towards more people knowing what Vinyl is compared to CD's. Whats old is new again......
    A friend has a T shirt that says "the plural of vinyl is vinyl". Always makes me smile, but blows the mind of yoof.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

Rotel Amp
    Marantz CD player
    Rega Planar deck
    Wharfedale speakers
    Pioneer tuner
    Pioneer CD burner.

Youngsters don't own music, they play music from a subscription service. On their phone or a smart speaker I would say. Some people might have some higher quality speakers (Sonos maybe?), but nothing like your separates.
    Yeah but, you can now access an enormous breadth of content for less than the cost of a small house. For some of us, that’s enough.
    The brother in law had a record then CD collection running to thousands of discs. That’s a serious investment and space commitment.
    Most people can access all the music they want for less than the cost of a handful of vinyl albums per annum.
    Heresy I know.
  • pblakeney
    People being happy riding BSO's.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    morstar said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

Rotel Amp
    Marantz CD player
    Rega Planar deck
    Wharfedale speakers
    Pioneer tuner
    Pioneer CD burner.

Yeah but, you can now access an enormous breadth of content for less than the cost of a small house. For some of us, that’s enough.
    The brother in law had a record then CD collection running to thousands of discs. That’s a serious investment and space commitment.
    Most people can access all the music they want for less than the cost of a handful of vinyl albums per annum.
    Heresy I know.
    I wasn't criticising. I don't listen to a lot of music, when i do it's normally in the car via DAB. That's it. Occasionally via the Echo in the kitchen.

I have a load of CDs boxed up in the shed and never spent huge amounts on stereo equipment. I bought expensive headphones for listening on the go a few times, but kept breaking them (usually damaged the cables).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

Cassettes are also coming back into fashion again, there's a whole new generation of kids that are going to have to learn to splice the tape after it gets mangled in the player and snaps.