Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Pross said:

Pross said:

My daughter went to a Disney themed 'bottomless brunch' (seems a strange combination!) on Sunday and the entertainers were so impressed by her when they were getting people singing along that they offered her a job with them. She's got two gigs over the weekend, 3 hours each at £15/hour dressing up as a Disney princess and singing songs which is something she would normally happily do for free! She's been ridiculously pleased with herself.

that is a heart warming story.

as technically it was an interview could you confirm she was not wearing a short sleeved shirt and brown shoes?
    If it isn't pink and / or has sparkles she wouldn't be seen wearing it outside the house.

She's been talking about doing something like this with a friend for a couple of years but now she can do it without the hassle of sorting out the insurances and paperwork. I was quite impressed that they offered her that rate of pay as well as she would have been happy to take minimum wage (as she gets paid in the waitressing job she's just started).
    The previous post to yours was about nursery age kids . I linked this to yours with the Disney bit and assumed your daughter was about 5. I thought hiring out your 5 year old for 6 hours was a bit out of order and then she does a waitressing job!
    You have certainly made me giggle :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    lesfirth said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

My daughter went to a Disney themed 'bottomless brunch' (seems a strange combination!) on Sunday and the entertainers were so impressed by her when they were getting people singing along that they offered her a job with them. She's got two gigs over the weekend, 3 hours each at £15/hour dressing up as a Disney princess and singing songs which is something she would normally happily do for free! She's been ridiculously pleased with herself.

that is a heart warming story.

as technically it was an interview could you confirm she was not wearing a short sleeved shirt and brown shoes?
    If it isn't pink and / or has sparkles she wouldn't be seen wearing it outside the house.

She's been talking about doing something like this with a friend for a couple of years but now she can do it without the hassle of sorting out the insurances and paperwork. I was quite impressed that they offered her that rate of pay as well as she would have been happy to take minimum wage (as she gets paid in the waitressing job she's just started).
    The previous post to yours was about nursery age kids . I linked this to yours with the Disney bit and assumed your daughter was about 5. I thought hiring out your 5 year old for 6 hours was a bit out of order and then she does a waitressing job!
    You have certainly made me giggle :D
    Ha, she's just turned 18 but is quite young for her age (and doesn't care which I really like in this age where teenagers are so desperate to be adults). She's also a performing arts student and would love to work at Disneyland.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Testing a new HRM strap while "hard" at work. 😉

I was watching some ambulance documentary last week where someone had a heart problem causing an unusually high heart rate and they were saying how the normal resting heart rate is "around 70-100 bpm". I get concerned if mine is above 50, I remember having a medical before doing a bone marrow donation and the doctor asked if I was OK and did my heart rate feel normal. I said I was a bit nervous so it might be slightly high but he was talking about it being so low (I think it was in the higher 40s). I can't imagine having 100bpm as a resting heart rate as that's what I get on a fairly brisk walk.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    I remember being concerned at work when this discussion came up during my mid 20s and I was training to attempt an Ironman. I went to see the nurse as mine was high 30s bpm at the time. 😱 Quite happy to see it is still below 50 at this stage of life.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    I recall Claudio Chiapucci saying when heart rate monitors were first being used. He shouted to Miguel Indurain whilst descending at 70kph "What's you heart rate?" Big Mig replied "About 60". 'Sh*t' thought Claudio, as his was 170.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    I still don't relish DIY, but since I got Madame la Maire to write a letter saying I needed to do maintenance on the house, stopping leaks in the roof seemed like a good idea. Well, it was a good idea anyway. Lots of French work on old houses is bodge-it, especially where you can't see it. My ridge wasn't ever really finished, and given it could be asbestos, and I didn't want to start drilling it, sand and cement mix seemed like the best way to fill the gap, and stop rain and leaves blowing into the grenier. I even bought myself a proper trowel and bucket to do it. Not pretty, but it'll do, I think... though I dont plan on becoming roofer, which is probably just as well.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522

I still don't relish DIY, but since I got Madame la Maire to write a letter saying I needed to do maintenance on the house, stopping leaks in the roof seemed like a good idea. Well, it was a good idea anyway. Lots of French work on old houses is bodge-it, especially where you can't see it. My ridge wasn't ever really finished, and given it could be asbestos, and I didn't want to start drilling it, sand and cement mix seemed like the best way to fill the gap, and stop rain and leaves blowing into the grenier. I even bought myself a proper trowel and bucket to do it. Not pretty, but it'll do, I think... though I dont plan on becoming roofer, which is probably just as well.

That looks a lot like asbestos Brian, so you were right to leave it alone.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Yep definitely asbestos.

Did a lot of stable roofs with the stuff about 30 years ago and do always wonder if it’s just a matter of time until I regret that.
  • Pross
    Used to smash up discarded sheets of it on a disused railway line I played on as a kid. I think you'd have to be in regular contact with the dust for it to become an issue.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Used to smash up discarded sheets of it on a disused railway line I played on as a kid. I think you'd have to be in regular contact with the dust for it to become an issue.

I did carefully wire-brush where the cement needed to stick, but 1) it's out-of-doors, and 2) I seem to have masks to hand, for some reason.
  • Pross said:

I did carefully wire-brush where the cement needed to stick, but 1) it's out-of-doors, and 2) I seem to have masks to hand, for some reason.
    Did you tell yourself you were exempt and sip from a sippy cup with the mask under your chin?
  • morstar

Pross said:

I wonder how many asbestos workers rant about face nappies?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315

Pross said:

Did you tell yourself you were exempt and sip from a sippy cup with the mask under your chin?
    If you wear the green lanyard the asbestos knows to be nice
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    1) Getting a freebie cycling jersey (that's actually a good fit) for doing my bit of PR work for the local sportif https://www.cyclodromoise.com/

2) Having thought that the pockets were too small for long rides, discovering that actually I can fit in two mobile phones, the camera, and a cheese-filled baguette.
  • pinno
    edited August 2021
    White asbestos is relatively harmless.
    I mean, [Pross, Morstar] - you breathed petrol fumes with lead in them for eons and no one ever mentions it's possible long term causes.
    You're right to not drill it BT but as said before, you would have to have had a lot of contact for it to be a potential problem. Wear a decent mask if you intend to disturb it.
    Plus - asbestos was used pretty often in concrete and cement, so you better knock all houses older than 22 years down.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Pross said:

My father’s best mate died of mesothelioma at a relatively young age, and there was considerable concern how he’d actually acquired it.

He was a dentist, and it was eventually determined it was likely caused by his daily work handling crucibles for amalgam fillings, which sat on asbestos mats in the surgery.

Bizarrely, the fact he was pretty much never seen without an old Meerschaum pipe hanging off his lips was deemed irrelevant.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Hitting my target weight of 70kg/11 stones without really doing anything much different. Not been down to that weight for nearly a decade.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Stevo_666 said:

Hitting my target weight of 70kg/11 stones without really doing anything much different. Not been down to that weight for nearly a decade.

Well done, but how tall/short are you?? I’m down to just over 79 and doing ok at that for 184cm.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Only been on a bike 4 or 5 times since the off after Christmas, all of which have been going to the office or to an exam and not once in the last 6 weeks. Going to a meeting tomorrow in Euston and going to cycle in. Even though it's into town and across London I'm excited about it and got the bike out for a once over and to remove mudguards.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Finally getting my old local government pension scheme set up on line and discovering I could start drawing on it when I turn 55. Part of me is tempted as the payment only goes up by about £500 a year for each additional 5 years I leave it.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Well done, but how tall/short are you?? I’m down to just over 79 and doing ok at that for 184cm.
    I'm 177cm/5'10" so not a bad weight for my age (55). And tbh I haven't dropped much - only about 3kg or so as my weight doesn't vary that much overall. Hence it's in the trivial thread :smile:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Stevo_666 said:

That is good, not being funny but I thought you'd be closer to my weight as we are not that different in size. I was 80.5kg on the pallet scales in the warehouse today, fully clothed of course.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm 177cm/5'10" so not a bad weight for my age (55). And tbh I haven't dropped much - only.about 3kg or so as my weight doesn't vary that much overall. Hence it's in the trivial thread :smile:
    No-one likes a show off. Until my mid 20s I couldn't get above 68kg at 185cm, it gradually crept up to 95kg after stopping cycling when the kids came along. I'm now normally between 85 and 90kg (currently just over the top end) and can never quite lose the bit to get down to my target of 80kg even during the peak of marathon training. That last little bit would really make a difference to my running times but my discipline always breaks first.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm 6'5", currently 95kgs and could probably lose another few kilos. I have been up to 113kgs, I lost about 10kgs in the first couple of lockdowns, I can't really put it down to anything apart from when going to the office i'd eat a bit more and snack. I didn't really increase my exercise at all.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm 177cm/5'10" so not a bad weight for my age (55). And tbh I haven't dropped much - only.about 3kg or so as my weight doesn't vary that much overall. Hence it's in the trivial thread :smile:
    No-one likes a show off. Until my mid 20s I couldn't get above 68kg at 185cm, it gradually crept up to 95kg after stopping cycling when the kids came along. I'm now normally between 85 and 90kg (currently just over the top end) and can never quite lose the bit to get down to my target of 80kg even during the peak of marathon training. That last little bit would really make a difference to my running times but my discipline always breaks first.
    Similar only slightly lighter.

185 and 60Kg until well into late 20’s regardless of consumption. Helped by working actively on feet all day but stick thin and would have killed to gain a bit of weight.

Currently down at 84 from a sustained 88+ until very recently. Hit 78Kg in 2015 when training very seriously so consider that my floor.
    80-83 is where I aim to be.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

That is good, not being funny but I thought you'd be closer to my weight as we are not that different in size. I was 80.5kg on the pallet scales in the warehouse today, fully clothed of course.
    Similar build although you're a fair bit taller; mind you last time we met we were both probably carrying an extra 5 kg in cider :)
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sorry Pross, I blame genetics - both my parents were pretty lean. I seem to have a high metabolic rate and just keeping a base level of exercise of a couple of bike commutes a week plus the odd run/weights seems to do the trick. Of course at my age, you do start losing a bit of muscle so that might account for a bit?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Similar build although you're a fair bit taller; mind you last time we met we were both probably carrying an extra 5 kg in cider :)
    Not drinking would probably help, but life is for living 😁
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Of course at my age, you do start losing a bit of muscle so that might account for a bit?

"After age 30, you begin to lose as much as 3% to 5% per decade. Most men will lose about 30% of their muscle mass during their lifetimes."

I think I am more muskally than I have ever been.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Of course at my age, you do start losing a bit of muscle so that might account for a bit?

"After age 30, you begin to lose as much as 3% to 5% per decade. Most men will lose about 30% of their muscle mass during their lifetimes."

I think I am more muskally than I have ever been.
    Same here, my muscle mass now is higher than my bodyweight was in my early 20s if you believe bioimpedence scales. I haven't done anything over the years to create that.