Interview with Cav in today's Telegraph

Comments

• (no further jokes necessary).

Ahh, you are no fun. :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I don't remember many people who were "sure" the Bradly would win any of the races he won last year at this point last year. I also remember a hell of a lot of "peaked too soon" talk...

With Cavendish, Sky had as close to a guaranteed winning machine as they could ever get. Whatever happened in the GT's the season was always going to be a relative success for Sky. Where else should have Cavendish gone this time last year? At the time it was the right move for both parties, and, be honest with yourself, we all thought so...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I don't remember many people who were "sure" the Bradly would win any of the races he won last year at this point last year. I also remember a hell of a lot of "peaked too soon" talk...

Don't you mean races he won this year at this point last year?
    ddraver wrote:
    Where else should have Cavendish gone this time last year? At the time it was the right move for both parties, and, be honest with yourself, we all thought so...

Did we? I didn't. I thought it was the wrong move as it would split the Tour team. Some riders for Wiggins and some for Cavendish. Didn't think that Wiggins would win as much as he had this year, but I thought he had a chance of winning the Tour and taking a weaker team to the Tour wouldn't have been a great idea.

Mind you, you might be right with where else he would go. Not sure what other offers he had.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Don't you mean races he won this year at this point last year?

What had he won? Dauphine i remember, what else?

I don't deny he had more than promise, but if someone had said that he would be "le Patron" last year, we'd have all laughed at him...I admit, myself included. Obviously I ve rarely been happier to be wrong!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

I don't deny he had more than promise, but if someone had said that he would be "le Patron" last year, we'd have all laughed at him...I admit, myself included. Obviously I ve rarely been happier to be wrong!

Yeah, Dauphine and also 3rd at the Vuelta as someone has already pointed out. But that's it, based on last year you'd be thinking he has a chance, but really needs the entire team working for him, not half of it working for Cavendish. As it turns out, they probably could have won more. Cavendish might have won more stages and Froome as well. But it's a difficult call to make, a Tour win really does come above everything else in cycling.

Maybe if Cavendish had won the Olympic RR things might have been a bit different.
  • ddraver
    he could also fallen in that crash and snapped his collar bone again, then Cav would have been all over it.

No other team was 100% behind thier GC leader, LG had Sagan, BMC had TJ etc, Leopard had....well...,
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:

Yeah, Dauphine and also 3rd at the Vuelta as someone has already pointed out. But that's it, based on last year you'd be thinking he has a chance, but really needs the entire team working for him, not half of it working for Cavendish. As it turns out, they probably could have won more. Cavendish might have won more stages and Froome as well. But it's a difficult call to make, a Tour win really does come above everything else in cycling.

Maybe if Cavendish had won the Olympic RR things might have been a bit different.

Last year he also placed 3rd at P-N and got silver in the Worlds TT. Put those results together with the Dauphine and the podium at the Vuelta and he had a pretty good season especially with the collar bone break in between.

But he's been on another level altogether this year
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Insideinfo wrote:
    1. Cav was told before he went to Sky it wasnt a good move as everyone knew they were a GC team so he cant moan about that. He keeps trying to push this 'i wasnt supported' lark but he wasnt their No.1 rider, Wiggins was, so i wish he would stop bleating this poor old me routine, its getting a bit tiring.

2. Theres only so many times you can keep plugging yourself as the fastest guy and keep promoting it and using it as the excuse it should all be about you. Sagan and co are about now and Cavs track record against him in the tdf wasnt great as he lost the green jersey. Cav won f*ck all this year, so how fast is he really? Seems there are just as fast guys out there now.

3. I cant go on anymore, Cav bores the tjts off me these days.....

Didn't really think it was a great interview. But really!

1) Erm, well was told by internet forum peoples, his side of the story is that Sky told him they would support him and go for both jerseys, they didn't. Should he have believed Sky, possibly not.

2) F all? Third most victories amongst the pros, not a great season by Cav's standards perhaps, but hardly f all.

Maybe you're just unhappy because you didn't guess his next move correctly and made you look a bit of a fool?

1. Brailsford said said a couple of years ago they wanted to be a GC team within 5 years and win the tdf. They did it in three. If i knew that last year why didnt Cav??
    2. Yes f*ck all. Please tell me what he won of any significance? Green jersey? Nope..red jersey? Nope...the Worlds? Nope...Olympics even, lets try and rescue your argument...oooh, noo. Nope, no Olympics either. So i will say it again. f*ck all. Got it? Sunk in? :roll:

Not unhappy at all, im a self made millionaire. :D
  • ddraver wrote:
    @InsideInfo

1) No on knew they were a GC team before the start of Paris Nice, at that point they were a rather crap classics team who had made a mess of near every race...

2)That's just bullsh1t isnt it...

3) Stop posting about him then, even your user name is to do with him...

My usrname has nothing to do with him. Bit of leap that but i'll forgive you. Dont forget its two blue pills before 8pm and one red one after.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    6 GT stages is 'f**k all'?

It's tough at the top.
  • ddraver
    I think you need to learn a bit more about Pro Cycling InsideInfo...
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Insideinfo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Insideinfo wrote:
    1. Cav was told before he went to Sky it wasnt a good move as everyone knew they were a GC team so he cant moan about that. He keeps trying to push this 'i wasnt supported' lark but he wasnt their No.1 rider, Wiggins was, so i wish he would stop bleating this poor old me routine, its getting a bit tiring.

2. Theres only so many times you can keep plugging yourself as the fastest guy and keep promoting it and using it as the excuse it should all be about you. Sagan and co are about now and Cavs track record against him in the tdf wasnt great as he lost the green jersey. Cav won f*ck all this year, so how fast is he really? Seems there are just as fast guys out there now.

1) Erm, well was told by internet forum peoples, his side of the story is that Sky told him they would support him and go for both jerseys, they didn't. Should he have believed Sky, possibly not.

2) F all? Third most victories amongst the pros, not a great season by Cav's standards perhaps, but hardly f all.

Maybe you're just unhappy because you didn't guess his next move correctly and made you look a bit of a fool?

1. Brailsford said said a couple of years ago they wanted to be a GC team within 5 years and win the tdf. They did it in three. If i knew that last year why didnt Cav??
    2. Yes f*ck all. Please tell me what he won of any significance? Green jersey? Nope..red jersey? Nope...the Worlds? Nope...Olympics even, lets try and rescue your argument...oooh, noo. Nope, no Olympics either. So i will say it again. f*ck all. Got it? Sunk in? :roll:

Congratulations. Doesn't mean you know anything about cycling though.
  • A guy who can't get over a couple of 3rd climbs with the peleton...........donkey.

Arrogant one at that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cav gets it right, but is still definitely Cav in this bit.
    “The headlines said I failed but I am going to keep those headlines and in 10 years – when the country understands cycling, which it will do – I will get them out and show what a joke they were.”

Showing the haters Cav ;).
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    A guy who can't get over a couple of 3rd climbs with the peloton...........donkey.

Arrogant one at that.

Wow, stop the presses, sprinter in struggling up climbs shock.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Cav gets it right, but is still definitely Cav in this bit.
    “The headlines said I failed but I am going to keep those headlines and in 10 years – when the country understands cycling, which it will do – I will get them out and show what a joke they were.”

Showing the haters Cav ;).

By the time this country understands cycling, Cavendish will be sitting in an old folks home smelling of wee...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    True, true.

But he's right they still don't get it, and the headlines were a joke.
  • Maybe. But it's the same thing again, he should let it go. Why isn't he talking up his new team, what he's going to do next year, how he's going to ride with Boonen rather than moaning about the past.
  • sprinter in struggling up climbs shock

I wouldn't call the 3rd (or it may have been 4th) cat climbs 'climbs'.

It was meant to be a sprinters stage FFS.
  • ddraver
    Maybe. But it's the same thing again, he should let it go. Why isn't he talking up his new team, what he's going to do next year, how he's going to ride with Boonen rather than moaning about the past.

Because, to put it bluntly, no one gives a sh1t....

The detailed interview about how great or is to be Belgian all of a sudden for sad acts like us will go in ProCycling.
    - @ddraver
  • Insideinfo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Insideinfo wrote:

Congratulations. Doesn't mean you know anything about cycling though.

No youre right. But it does mean i can own my own pro team if i wished to :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Maybe. But it's the same thing again, he should let it go. Why isn't he talking up his new team, what he's going to do next year, how he's going to ride with Boonen rather than moaning about the past.
    Sportsmen (and other people) give interviews, They say lots of things. But only 10%, at most, of that is 'news worthy' and gets printed. For the British (and wider) press: Sky let me down= story. Omega is going to be great = non story.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver wrote:

The detailed interview about how great or is to be Belgian all of a sudden for sad acts like us will go in ProCycling.

Think you have missed the point I was trying to make, maybe I didn't explain it very well. Doesn't really matter what he talks about, if it's his new team or something else, just don't bitch about your previous one. How does it help? What happens next year when OPQS are trying to drag a break back for Cavendish to go for a sprint and turn to look for another teams to help, Sky won't. Why should they when he moaned about them. I wouldn't if I was their DS.

Talk about something else, gloss over the subject. Sure the journo will try and dig about a bit, get him to complain as it reads better than "Cavendish looking forward to new team". But I've read many of his fans say how smart he is, doesn't seem that way to me.
  • Insideinfo wrote:
    No youre right. But it does mean i can own my own pro team if i wished to :wink:

If you do, team colours have to be orange! :D
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    cav is annoyed, what about Froome dog!! had they let him and wiggo race he MAY have won the tour, he probably had the 2nd or 3rd best year any British cyclist has ever had and noone remembers it because wiggo was always No1
    How do you work that out? he would never have gained the time he lost in the TT's to Wiggo, at most he would have gained few seconds and won another stage, at worst he would have blown uop and lost time. Just look at what happened in the Vuelta when he attacked.
    I actually agree with Cav, I think Sky were a bit too cautious and he could have had two more stages, they even left him behind with no support after a puncture on one stage.
  • Insideinfo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Insideinfo wrote:

You know sweet F A , you continue to want prove it to for some reason , you're also a massive bullshi.tter aswell .

Ye daft strap on.
  • That last post...succinct and to the point
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Think you have missed the point I was trying to make, maybe I didn't explain it very well. Doesn't really matter what he talks about, if it's his new team or something else, just don't ***** about your previous one. How does it help? What happens next year when OPQS are trying to drag a break back for Cavendish to go for a sprint and turn to look for another teams to help, Sky won't. Why should they when he moaned about them. I wouldn't if I was their DS.

Talk about something else, gloss over the subject. Sure the journo will try and dig about a bit, get him to complain as it reads better than "Cavendish looking forward to new team". But I've read many of his fans say how smart he is, doesn't seem that way to me.

Oh ok, fair enough. I thought you were suggesting the British public would be interested in the machinations of OPQS...
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ye daft strap on.

LOL :mrgreen:

Quality insult TBH.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He's going to be on Radio 5 Live in about ten minutes (2.15)
    Twitter: @RichN95