Interview with Cav in today's Telegraph

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Interesting. Thanks for posting
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Sorry Cav but the opportunity for a historic first UK yellow jersey in the most prestigious Grand Tour has to come before two more stage wins for you and Froome.

Although a Cav sprint finish is always more exciting and impressive than the most boring tour victory in history.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Cavendish needs to justify to himself the reason for jumping teams, and to be fair he is a winner, and needs a team which can support him in the discipline he is best at. We dont know Sky's internal politics, but they dominated the TdF, so fair play to them - green and yellow is just too much to bite off, and Cavendish will need a fully driven train to beat Kittel, Sagan and Co in 2013

I certainly hope he has moved to realise those ambitions - the new blood in sprinters wont be easy to beat, but great scalps to take
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • I can see where Cav is coming from, but considering Sky let him go for free I would have hoped he could have remained quiet on these thoughts
  • Cogidubnus wrote:
    I can see where Cav is coming from, but considering Sky let him go for free I would have hoped he could have remained quiet on these thoughts

But he can't do that, he tells it like it is! Wow, what a guy. :roll:
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    He is a bit of a fool - so Sky should have jeopardised their first TdF for his sake. Ok Cav...
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Usually like Cav but this makes no sense - it's all a benefit of hindsight. History could have been very different off the top of my head:

Sky rode for him at the Giro - Had he avoided the crashes at the Giro - that's another 2 stage wins and the Points jersey at a GT

Sky rode for him at MSR - Ok he had a bad day on the bike but that wasn't the teams fault

Tdf - Sky/DB made a big thing in the press that there wouldn't be a sky train for him and he had proved when Renshaw was banned for head butting that Cav could hop on and off wheels and still win. With a rider out injured in the first week Sky obv went for total risk reduction. However IIRC Cav lost out 1 to 1 against Griepel and he blamed himself for that and he was involved in a crash - take those out and he would have had 5 stage wins (equaling 2011)

Olympics - His programme and fitness by Sky was tailored to the needs of British Cycling (he wouldnt have got that anywhere else). Again it wasnt to be but in the interview Cav accepts his team-mates dd everything they could for him.

Tour of Britain - Sky rode for him and he messed up the sprint at Knowsley.

In summary with the dice rolling another way he could have had - a jersey from a GC about 5 additional stage wins, MSR and a gold medal (all of which Sky would have helped him get) - Had he got those would he really be whinging?
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Cavendish needs to justify to himself the reason for jumping teams, and to be fair he is a winner, and needs a team which can support him in the discipline he is best at. We dont know Sky's internal politics, but they dominated the TdF, so fair play to them - green and yellow is just too much to bite off, and Cavendish will need a fully driven train to beat Kittel, Sagan and Co in 2013

I certainly hope he has moved to realise those ambitions - the new blood in sprinters wont be easy to beat, but great scalps to take

Isn't that illegal these days :wink:

On the article - comes across as a spoilt brat to be honest and shouldn't be burning his bridges....
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • At the bottom of the article:

Mark Cavendish: Born to Race is out on DVD on Nov 5.

Bit of PR for his DVD, that's all.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I've been a fan since Feb 2007 as he unleashed his sprint while leading out Ciolek in the Sacramento stage 2 Tour of California.
    He was so fast coming coming out of the peloton that Ciolek and Cipollini were left behind and as he swung off he looked back to see he was alone and could have won but he freewheeled into 4th place behind winner Tom Boonen.
    High Road never asked him to lead out again.

Now I wonder how many more Toys he has to throw out of his Pram.
    What he says now about Sky should have been read in these pages last year because most forums were puzzled by his move to Sky and most people did say he would be winging.

My question, is Renshaw looking for a job. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    As suspected an article proves that Cavendish is a wanker for saying what he thinks and telling it like it is for the haters and proves that he's a legend for saying what he thinks and telling it like it is for the fans

Overall cycling fans are revealed as tiresomely predictable as always....

Edit - "Rubber" was not the term i used to describe Cavendish, mine starts with a W and ends with anker...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • At the end of the article, he says...
    It was a tough year, but I did the rainbow jersey proud, which was the most important thing for me. It was a thrill pulling it on every day in training and a thrill racing as much as I could to honour the jersey.

About time to have a bit more respect for the jersey and update his twitter photo then!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    ddraver wrote:
    As suspected an article proves that Cavendish is a rubber for saying what he thinks and telling it like it is for the haters and proves that he's a legend for saying what he thinks and telling it like it is for the fans

Overall cycling fans are revealed as tiresomely predictable as always....

Edit - "Rubber" was not the term i used to describe Cavendish, mine starts with a W and ends with anker...

I love how the swear filter picks up what the word is, and searches for a slightly less rude one meaning the same thing.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    It`'s my ball and nobody else is playing nah nah nee nah naa. - Funny how he comes out with an interview now oh and that he's back on twitter ....Oh i better not say anything now incase Sky demand a buy out clause. Shytebag of a man. I suppose the £££££s offered by sky had nothing to do with him signing :roll: .
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Still suprised Cav only got 4 votes so far in the haters poll.

Funny how different people can interpret things differently.

I thought it was a reasonably honest account of why he left Sky.

(That stage into Pau must have been hard to take.)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cav is annoyed, what about Froome dog!! had they let him and wiggo race he MAY have won the tour, he probably had the 2nd or 3rd best year any British cyclist has ever had and noone remembers it because wiggo was always No1
  • I love Cav as a rider but when he gives interviews he doesn't 'alf go in for a bit of revisionism...

stage 15 into Pau: what happened according to the reports was that Sky agreed to ride for a sprint if the other teams worked with them - anyone remember Bernie and EBH getting arsey with the breakaway group because they were riding at a stupid pace right from the off? But Lotto and OGE were playing silly buggers and OGE wouldn't help out cos they were fed up with Goss getting creamed .. Sky said sod this for a game of soldiers, we're not doing this solo. And that's how Cav's precious sprint possibility turned into an easy day for the peloton.

Cav, for fecks sake stop laying it on so thick :roll:
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I read this in the paper with his gloomy* face printed alongside. It's not the same photo as that on their website.

I'm sorry but to me it reads "it's all everyone else's fault that I had a rubbish Tour this year". To me that is just childish. Grow up Mark, can you hear yourself?

So maybe that's a bit harsh and he has a good reason for feeling such crushing disappointment (i.e., unrealistically raised expectations). Yet he said the same after the Olympics road race (which he expected to win?). At that time he said words to the effect of "all the other teams were riding negatively". Of course they were! Why should any other team try to HELP you to win a once-in-4-years-chance Gold medal, eh?

(That's why I laughed and laughed when Vino did a typical Vino and won it. What a way to end a racing career, eh?)

*27-year old millionaire is pissed off and flounces off. Ain't life tragic.
  • Smacks of desperation. Didn't get his own way, boo hoo. And there are plenty of youngsters snapping at his heels and might win more than him! OMG!
    Makes you feel sorry for him, doesn't it? Almost. The lad needs to get over himself a bit. And yes, I did vote for Cav on the cathartic thread, mainly for this sort of thing.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Not one to bear a grudge either :roll:
    “The headlines said I failed but I am going to keep those headlines and in 10 years – when the country understands cycling, which it will do – I will get them out and show what a joke they were.”
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    Never mind amongst many things on his palmares it will say World Champion and Peta Todd - sure he'll be just fine...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    LMAO at all you retarded Cav haters. So what if he's a moaning, petulant, grumpy little feck bag? I am as well and you all love me :mrgreen:

He's f*cking awesome at sprinting and I get a little wood every time he destroys the rest of the Peleton.

If you guys think really hard, you might just have a moment of clarity and realise that it's possible to admire a person's achievements whilst disliking their personality.
  • 1. Cav was told before he went to Sky it wasnt a good move as everyone knew they were a GC team so he cant moan about that. He keeps trying to push this 'i wasnt supported' lark but he wasnt their No.1 rider, Wiggins was, so i wish he would stop bleating this poor old me routine, its getting a bit tiring.

2. Theres only so many times you can keep plugging yourself as the fastest guy and keep promoting it and using it as the excuse it should all be about you. Sagan and co are about now and Cavs track record against him in the tdf wasnt great as he lost the green jersey. Cav won f*ck all this year, so how fast is he really? Seems there are just as fast guys out there now.

3. I cant go on anymore, Cav bores the tjts off me these days.....
  • He went to sky for the payday, although I still think that Sky were not completely confident that wiggins was going to win the TDF last year and if that had not worked out they would have put all their support behind cav.

Sky managed to get a few lucky breaks and have now positioned themselves at the top of the tree, GC in all grand tours will be their priority. So you can't blame him for leaving, but I do think he should zip it. Comes across as a bit of a T@@t which probably pretty close to the truth.
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • If you guys think really hard, you might just have a moment of clarity and realise that it's possible to admire a person's achievements whilst disliking their personality.

Err, I think that's what most people are sayin'. Maybe people have thought about it more than you think.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Insideinfo wrote:
    1. Cav was told before he went to Sky it wasnt a good move as everyone knew they were a GC team so he cant moan about that. He keeps trying to push this 'i wasnt supported' lark but he wasnt their No.1 rider, Wiggins was, so i wish he would stop bleating this poor old me routine, its getting a bit tiring.

2. Theres only so many times you can keep plugging yourself as the fastest guy and keep promoting it and using it as the excuse it should all be about you. Sagan and co are about now and Cavs track record against him in the tdf wasnt great as he lost the green jersey. Cav won f*ck all this year, so how fast is he really? Seems there are just as fast guys out there now.

3. I cant go on anymore, Cav bores the tjts off me these days.....

Didn't really think it was a great interview. But really!

1) Erm, well was told by internet forum peoples, his side of the story is that Sky told him they would support him and go for both jerseys, they didn't. Should he have believed Sky, possibly not.

2) F all? Third most victories amongst the pros, not a great season by Cav's standards perhaps, but hardly f all.

Maybe you're just unhappy because you didn't guess his next move correctly and made you look a bit of a fool?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    @InsideInfo

1) No on knew they were a GC team before the start of Paris Nice, at that point they were a rather crap classics team who had made a mess of near every race...

2)That's just bullsh1t isnt it...

3) Stop posting about him then, even your user name is to do with him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Err, I think that's what most people are sayin'. Maybe people have thought about it more than you think.

Good! I can get off my high horse, my bottom's getting sore (no further jokes necessary).
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    ddraver wrote:
    @InsideInfo

1) No on knew they were a GC team before the start of Paris Nice, at that point they were a rather crap classics team who had made a mess of near every race...

2nd and 3rd in Vuelta 2011 pass you by?
  • ddraver wrote:

Wasn't the team set up with the target of winning the Tour with a British rider?

It doesn't really matter if Cavendish thinks he was lied to or not, he should stop going on about it. Talk up what he's going to do with his new team next year.

Actually, as much as I dislike him, I was more impressed with what he achieved at the Tour this year than anything he's done in the past with HTC.