Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    DesWeller wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Religion.

Not very trivial, given the amount of human conflict that's taken place as a result.

Religion is generally accepted as being a belief and as such it doesn't go to war.

It is mankind that 'goes to war' and in most cases contrary to most religious doctrine however in many cases said mankind uses religion to justify their actions. Indeed religion has spread in the path of colonialism but at the feet of a very basic irreligious maxim (greed) an unfortunate human quality. So it's the misuse of religion that has lead to mankind going to war not religion (a belief mechanism).

Richard Dawkins thinks religion is a delusion, if he is correct as a growing number of people believe then it would mean that it is only us earthlings that 'go to war' and almost certainly us earthlings would continue to war even if there was no such thing as religion. :idea:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    John Kline wrote:
    Also, teenage white kids who when they talk seem to affect that annoying accent, a sort of hybrid between Ali G and Dennis Bovell like day is from de slums of Kingston Jamaica or somtin'.
    Ever seen The Wire?
    People in supermarket car parks who don't park in the designated bays. They either park right by the door or in the marked off area's at the end of each row.
    [url=www.http://youparklikeacunt.com/]You're not alone[/url].

Both of the above links make extensive use of pithy Anglo-Saxon English, so be warned.

Oh, and my own trivial annoyance? Being pedantic about language when I perfectly well know what the person means, and not being able to stop myself being annoyed. But still understanding exactly why I'm annoyed. That's annoying.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    metronome wrote:
    Religion.

Not very trivial, given the amount of human conflict that's taken place as a result.

Religion is generally accepted as being a belief and as such it doesn't go to war.

It is mankind that 'goes to war' and in most cases contrary to most religious doctrine however in many cases said mankind uses religion to justify their actions. Indeed religion has spread in the path of colonialism but at the feet of a very basic irreligious maxim (greed) an unfortunate human quality. So it's the misuse of religion that has lead to mankind going to war not religion (a belief mechanism).

Richard Dawkins thinks religion is a delusion, if he is correct as a growing number of people believe then it would mean that it is only us earthlings that 'go to war' and almost certainly us earthlings would continue to war even if there was no such thing as religion. :idea:

S'not trivial though, is it?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    Oh, and my own trivial annoyance? Being pedantic about language when I perfectly well know what the person means, and not being able to stop myself being annoyed. But still understanding exactly why I'm annoyed. That's annoying.

Boll-ocks, you're right, that's annoying.
  • briantrumpet
    John Kline wrote:

Boll-ocks, you're right, that's annoying.
    Though (to be serious), I'm not entirely sure it's trivial, which is a bit annoying.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Cubic wrote:
    crom7 wrote:
    Irish people who love the sound of their own voice.

Anybody in particular? Or is it just a racist observation.

People who take themselves just a little bit too seriously...

Seriously, you might be mistaking me for someone else.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    People making me late - people keeping me waiting.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Obviously fake soundtracks added to silent archival movie footage in historical documentaries - e.g. soldiers marching, guns being fired, air raid sirens, etc. in pretty much every WWII programme on the Yesterday channel.
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    edited November 2012
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Only happened a few times but so annoying. People on escalators, particularly in department stores, who when they get to the top, step off and then stop dead looking around trying to decide where to go while everyone else is piling up behind them. Utter fcukwits !!

I do this to my girlfriend religiously, she falls for it every time, even if I do it twice in the same shopping trip. I don't do it if there is someone else close behind though, then I'd be a fcukwit.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Those plasticky triggers for PS3 L2 & R2 shoulder buttons coming off at the most inopportune of moments :evil:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • John Kline wrote:
    Also, on the news when a reporter or a weather girl hands back to the studio and they say thank you very much INDEED - why indeed ?

Or when the reporter faces camera with the Houses Of Parliament in the background, like this _57737307_andrew_neil_dp.jpg

across the river, then finishes their report by saying " this is Andrew Neil (or whoever), Westminster"

Er, no you're not. You're in Lambeth you div!

Love this, never noticed it before, but it's true. South Bank Pri*k.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    When you have been on a long ride, got cold and you get back home to have a shower to wash and warm up.

Then about 20 seconds later the hot water runs out.
    Mañana
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    The phrase "Oh my days". Anyone using it deserves a punch in the face.
  • briantrumpet
    Being punched in the face when I use the phrase "Oh my days".
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    People eating with a spoon that they're holding twixt thumb, forefinger & index finger with the bowl of it angled towards the chest. Yes I know it's probably easier but when I see it I want to attack the people doing it. Which was a bit awkward this morning as I had breakfast in a hotel, and it's surprisingly common.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    People on BR who think saying 'I blame wiggle' is in the slightest bit witty.

People who comment on some random detail in a posted photo to try and seem like they're observational and witty, when its obviously in most cases that they've gone about looking hard at a photo trying to find something to say something witty about. ...oh, and people who then see the posting and think it is witty.

People who put LOL when it suits their underlying agenda/issues with the topic at hand.

People who write LOL anyway.

People's faces.

The thick 'different' texture of yoghurt that sticks to the underside of a foil lid.

People with seemingly little individuality who don't have much passion for anything in life.

White lines on roads that have faded way beyond the point where they first needed re-painting.

Momentary power cuts that leave you wondering if its worth continuing working on a computer or whether another will happen any minute.

People who blip the throttle on a car before turning the ignition off.

The delay on a supermarket till before the receipt is printed, when the transaction is clearly completed and the operator is just sat waiting for it to print.

Wanting a glass of squash but only having enough squash in the bottle for a very weak glass of it.
  • mfin
    People who say swearing in films is unnecessary, when its often a reflection of how the characters in the film would talk in real life and nothing else... for example, an older person who wouldn't watch a great film like Goodfellas cos of the language, when they wouldn't comment at all the people getting stabbed and shot.
  • mfin
    Over expression in musicians, whether its the over expressive face of a talent show contestant which is disproportional to the actual emotion ..or, the twatty keyboard player in Keane who rocks about like he's playing the hardest track in the world when he's playing a twee piano riff like the one on Somewhere Only we Know.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    In a similar vein to forum wit mentioned above, I find it annoying when someone tries to be witty, fails miserably, and then ends the post with 'I'll get my coat' often with a few lines between the end of the said post and that corker.
    Mañana
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Foil/cellophane caps or covers that never come off as they should but leave you with a fragment of the material and a still sealed bottle/pack. :evil:

Rings on "ring-pull open" tins that come off on your finger leaving you to resort to the tin opener. :evil:

The dribble that comes out of petrol and diesel pump nozzles and over your shoes. :evil:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • mfin
    pb21 wrote:
    In a similar vein to forum wit mentioned above, I find it annoying when someone tries to be witty, fails miserably, and then ends the post with 'I'll get my coat' often with a few lines between the end of the said post and that corker.

Yep, or people that leave big gap then write something in a tiny font that's supposed to be funny. Oh such clever use of the font options!! Nope, not at all.

Someone will be along in a minute to do some of these things to try to be a) either 'ironic and witty' or b) annoying ...but it'll be c) sh1te (maybe not sh1te to some people, but those will be people that find things witty that aren't witty anyway).
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Yep, or people that leave big gap then write something in a tiny font that's supposed to be funny. Oh such clever use of the font options!! Nope, not at all.

Someone will be along in a minute to do some of these things to try to be a) either 'ironic and witty' or b) annoying ...but it'll be c) sh1te (maybe not sh1te to some people, but those will be people that find things witty that aren't witty anyway).

Didn't want to disappoint you. LOL
  • briantrumpet
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    The dribble that comes out of [...] and over your shoes.
  • my current hate is twat drivers who are turning right at a junction which is wide enough for a car to turn left at who cannot sit on the right of the junction. Instead they feel it is far more important to sit in the middle of said junction and not leave enough room for any car turning left to get past. wankers!!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    johnfinch wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Didn't want to disappoint you. LOL
    See I was going to put "people who see a post stating how annoying something is (txt spk for example) and the certain knowldege that within a few minutes someone will come along and make a post in that style that someone is bothered enough to complain about". That bugs the life out of me. Well done jon finch.
  • finchy
    Ur welcome m8
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    johnfinch wrote:
    Ur welcome m8
    LOL
  • cornerblock
    mfin wrote:
    Life.

Saves time. :wink:
  • finchy
    mfin wrote:
    Life.

Shhhhh, Cornerblock, don't discourage mfin. I think he's making a lot of progress in these sessions.

We might be able to let him back out without his straightjacket soon.
  • cornerblock
    johnfinch wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Life.

Shhhhh, Cornerblock, don't discourage mfin. I think he's making a lot of progress in these sessions.

We might be able to let him back out without his straightjacket soon.

Oops. :wink: