Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Pross said:

Pross said:

Lazy recruitment consultants. I've just received an unsolicited CV that isn't relevant to my own team but passed it to 4 colleagues only to find they've all been sent it too. The candidate is based in London (our nearest office is 60 miles away), there's no mention of whether they are looking to relocate and their experience is all public sector so doesn't really match with what our company does. To top it off, the email I received was addressed to a different name.

If I was the candidate and discovered my CV was being sent out like that I'd be moving to a different recruitment consultant. The plus point is that the CV sent over has the candidates name on and as it wasn't solicited if they had been of interest I would have simply looked them up on LinkedIn and contacted them directly to offer an interview.

I think you relinquished the moral high ground with your last sentence
    I'm not seeking the moral high ground. If someone sends you information when you've had no past dealings with them, haven't asked them to send it through and doesn't even have the common sense to anonymise their Clients name then they're inviting people to take that approach with them. It comes down to their laziness. All respectable recruitment consultants I deal with take details of what we are looking for and try to match the candidates. We'll then get an anonymised CV and, if they look promising, we are then committed to a contract regarding the recruitment fees before we get the full details and have the interview arranged. If we get sent an unsolicited CV it is usually by a company we have worked with in the past and it won't have the candidates name. When we get something unsolicited it is usually along the lines of 'I am working with a technician seeking a new challenge. They have 10 years experience, these qualifications and expertise in this software. If interested please get in touch'.

This approach was on a par with an inventor trying to cold sell you his idea by sending you the full design plans whilst not having taken out a patent.

I worked somewhere where a CV got sent in that was for a current staff member looking to move on from the company. Luckily I knew they were already and was trying to get out myself but had it gone to another person in the company it could have caused problems for them.
    I get all of that but where would you place it on a scale of 1 - 10 of business ethics with 10 being purer than snow and 1 should be in prison?
    Sending someone’s CVs without their permission is about a 4, assuming 3.5 and below are finable offences.

In fact, if there was such thing as a recruitment regulator, it’s the first thing it should stamp out.

It’s not hard to ask and if it is you’re in the wrong job.
    Isn't it already a breach of data rules, GDR etc.?

I was pretty shocked when it happened to me.

Lack of trust in recruitment consultants puts me off changing jobs.
    Erm I don’t know re GDPR.

Problem in the industry is that the barriers to entry are extremely low. You basically need an internet connection, some kind of computer and a phone so you can get all sorts.

There are firms obviously who have decent reps etc.
    The difficulty is that it is the employer who chooses and pays the recruitment consultant, so the potential employee doesn't have much choice if they fancy a particular job.
    Yeah. One way to judge your potential employer’s judgement tbf.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Finally getting a bike race to watch, house to myself and Eurosport Player is down.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Studiously avoiding news broadcasts as intend to watch the FA Cup final later on catch up, have radio on and Mark bleepin' Radcliffe lets out who won.... No I don't know the score, yet.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    And another thing. Why after eating pork (barbie bits in this case) do I always have bits stuck in teeth?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    orraloon said:

And another thing. Why after eating pork (barbie bits in this case) do I always have bits stuck in teeth?

Age?

It gets worse, I can't eat porridge these days without needing a toothpick!

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited August 2020
    capt_slog said:

orraloon said:

Age?

I'm guessing that you use the rough mill or that you are undercooking it?
    Try a standard mill? For reference, I have trouble with fibrous meat but not with porridge.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    It's a sad day when we're discussing the path to dentures, food processors and straws.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    Age, innit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    pblakeney said:

capt_slog said:

orraloon said:

Age?

Try a standard mill? For reference, I have trouble with fibrous meat but not with porridge.
    Not particularly as far as I'm aware (on both points).

It's just that as I've aged, the gaps in my teeth have grown too. It's just one of those things. It's trivial and annoys me.

Nor did I infer you had problems with anything other than meat, but I suspect that too will come :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The idea that you can buy performance and greatness. This seems to be a common belief among cyclists, triathletes, golfers, and a host of others sports that require some sort of equipment to play.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Usually on your side of the pond they buy drugs ;)
  • Pross
    I reckon Dennis could just summarise his dislikes as marketing hype and the modern world.
  • pinno
    Perhaps he should move to the more modest blighty.
    (Somewhere in Yorkshire where a spade is a spade).
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The trend for exploding cars (not clown cars), little w**kers who get their sh1tty underpowered hatchbacks to do it.
  • capt_slog said:

pblakeney said:

capt_slog said:

orraloon said:

Age?

Not particularly as far as I'm aware (on both points).

It's just that as I've aged, the gaps in my teeth have grown too. It's just one of those things. It's trivial and annoys me.

Nor did I infer you had problems with anything other than meat, but I suspect that too will come :)

or is it the Growth Hormone?
  • Pross
    mfin said:

The trend for exploding cars (not clown cars), little w**kers who get their sh1tty underpowered hatchbacks to do it.

Get this constantly with a bunch of chavs on the road at the back of my garden.
  • pblakeney
    Wasps. 🤬
    Stung 3 times since Friday. The countryside is a dangerous place.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The word staycation, as if it can't be a proper holiday unless you cross an international border
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pross said:

mfin said:

Can you lay any land mines?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    mfin said:

Pross said:

mfin said:

Can you lay any land mines?
    Bit extreme, whats wrong with a stinger?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

The word staycation, as if it can't be a proper holiday unless you cross an international border

With you on that, and welcome to the forum.

Staycation used to mean in your own home, right?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Re the whole staycation thing.
    The fact that so many people only ever go abroad and miss out on some staggering countryside the UK has to offer whilst dismissing holidaying in UK as inferior.

Conversely, the sooner they can go elsewhere again so it ain’t so crowded, the better.

• pblakeney
    morstar said:

The fact that so many people only ever go abroad and miss out on some staggering countryside the UK has to offer whilst dismissing holidaying in UK as inferior.

Conversely, the sooner they can go elsewhere again so it ain’t so crowded, the better.

On a similar note for crowding, the internet is ruining little known beauty spots.

We were at a remote beach last week where we usually have the place to ourselves. As we were leaving dozens if not hundreds were heading that way fully equipped including BBQs etc. Then we get to people leaving stuff behind... 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

On a similar note for crowding, the internet is ruining little known beauty spots.

We were at a remote beach last week where we usually have the place to ourselves. As we were leaving dozens if not hundreds were heading that way fully equipped including BBQs etc. Then we get to people leaving stuff behind... 🤬
    I have been planning to get up to the Lakes a couple of times this week but can’t decide if it will simply be too busy to enjoy.
    It wouldn’t be quiet in a normal August.
  • morstar
    Lots of people doing clean up jobs round our way. Much credit to them as it is just members of the public.
    There is one lovely viewing spot near me where all the chavs drive their hot hatches to to smoke weed.
    Absolute tip every single morning. United Utilities who manage the reservoirs and surrounding land do pay someone to clean that up every single day.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    morstar said:

Yeh I'm kind of upset that everyone else is finding out about the Yorkshire Dales, the Peaks etc

When I was a lad (knee-high right through to moving away) I visited a local woodlands every weekend: either on the bike; for a run; with the fishing tackle; or just for a walk with the dog or with mates.

Loved it. And I head back there when visiting family, if I find the time.

When we were locked down, I was seeing lots of posts on Instagram and Facebook (mainly Facebook, make of that what you will) from people I was at school with: "took the kids to XXX Woods today. Can't believe I've never been here and it's only down the road". It's the same people who were dragged off to the continent for their holidays every year, by their parents. Simply not encouraged, as kids, to appreciate what's on the doorstep.

But I do hope it's not chocka, if I head there for a run next time I visit!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    Well, on the same theme.

I know many walks locally and during lockdown, we had just about exhausted what I thought was all that we could do practically. Then I discovered an estate, which is privately owned, that has a myriad of walks within and the public are allowed in it. It's gorgeous yet i've been here off and on for the best part of 38 years and never knew about it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    morstar said:

My complaint is cost and the number of people, not things to see.
  • morstar
    Cosmetic surgery for non-reconstructive purposes.
    What the hell is it with these lips that are as fat as two cucumbers?
    They looking fucking horrible.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Autotune. Gives performers who can't carry a tune in a bucket, delusions of adequacy.