Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,628
    nickice said:

Pross said:

nickice said:

British people who live abroad and act like they're no longer from the UK. I find them even more annoying than the lager louts.

Surely it's better than those who move abroad then try to turn the place they move to into a mini version of the UK?

I can certainly understand people trying to distance themselves from the Brits abroad crowd!
    Both groups annoy me but there is something incredibly ridiculous about pretending you're no longer from the UK. A case in point: my tutor in Spain was as Mancunian as they come but insisted she was no longer British and referred to the Spanish as 'we'.

In fact we can add into this people who use Spanish or French words (not commonly in use in the UK) when commenting on newspaper articles.
    Yeah, that seems odd. On the second point I have a similar annoyance where I have a South African colleague and either he will say to other people or they will say to him 'have a lekker day'. He's not even Afrikaans.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,703

orraloon said:

People who think Flemish is different to Dutch.

Bzzzt. Cultural appropriation alert. Bring in the Thought Police.

Anyway, language pronunciation is different. Innit.
    Yeah not many people say people up North speak a different language to English however.
    People in republic of Ireland speak English which is not much different to that in core Ingerlaand. Irish not different to English as well then?
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Yeah not many people say people up North speak a different language to English however.
    People in republic of Ireland speak English which is not much different to that in core Ingerlaand. Irish not different to English as well then?
    Irish is not English.
  • orraloon
    nickice said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Irish is not English.
    So if Irish is not English then why is Flemish not not Dutch? I await Prof Chasey's pearls of wisdom.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    orraloon said:

nickice said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Irish is not English.
    So if Irish is not English then why is Flemish not not Dutch? I await Prof Chasey's pearls of wisdom.
    Is this a wind up? Surely it must be. But in case it's not, Irish is Irish Gaelic.
  • orraloon
    I refer you upthread to an earlier post by RC. Is it a wind up? Do I know? 🤔

However is way aye man Geordie speak English? Given Geordieland is desired neither by Ingerlaand or Scotland...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    At least one language study concluded that a lot of Geordie dialect elements come from Norwegian.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    orraloon said:

I refer you upthread to an earlier post by RC. Is it a wind up? Do I know? 🤔

However is way aye man Geordie speak English? Given Geordieland is desired neither by Ingerlaand or Scotland...

So to be clear - Flemish - a dialect.

Dutch - a language.

Official languages of Belgium: Dutch, French, German

Not, Flemish, Walloonian and Eupenian...
  • orraloon
    So to the tune of Pink Floyd's 'Careful with that Axe Eugene', careful with those words RC.

Did you mean e.g. a Flemish person Is different to a Dutch person?

Or did you mean the Flemish language / dialect Is different to the Dutch language?

It's the way you tell 'em... (DYOR for the original of that phrase)
  • Pross
    A family calling for an urgent safety review after their 6 year old daughter was washed over a waterfall in North Wales (she was uninjured). It's a fucking natural feature, there's obvious risks involved if you choose to go there. Apparently the girl was under close supervision, the fact she fell down a waterfall suggests otherwise. What next, calls for railings along the cliffs on our coastline to stop anyone falling off?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,284
    People posting unpopular opinions that they don't actually believe in the unpopular opinions thread.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,609

People posting unpopular opinions that they don't actually believe in the unpopular opinions thread.

Wonder who you have in mind?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    Pross said:

A family calling for an urgent safety review after their 6 year old daughter was washed over a waterfall in North Wales (she was uninjured). It's a censored natural feature, there's obvious risks involved if you choose to go there. Apparently the girl was under close supervision, the fact she fell down a waterfall suggests otherwise. What next, calls for railings along the cliffs on our coastline to stop anyone falling off?

But it's Not Their Fault. That their child went too close and fell in. They will be seeking com-pen-say-shun. Have you let your child fall off a natural feature? Call Sue, Grabbit and Runne...
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,565
    Pross said:

A family calling for an urgent safety review after their 6 year old daughter was washed over a waterfall in North Wales (she was uninjured). It's a censored natural feature, there's obvious risks involved if you choose to go there. Apparently the girl was under close supervision, the fact she fell down a waterfall suggests otherwise. What next, calls for railings along the cliffs on our coastline to stop anyone falling off?

Yeah similar here. Dumbest example yet was a change to the requirements (apparently) here that baby prams/strollers now must have a secure wrist strap in use by the parent pushing it. This was in response to not one, but two separate incidents where "young mums" were out with baby, got distracted by their social media update requirements or something, and the untethered pram rolled down a bank into a river; result = baby drowned.

🙄

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Yup. I said that a while ago.

It was supposed to be, an opinion you hold that is unpopular with others.
    Not, an opinion that you don't agree with and is therefore unpopular with you.

The older I get, the better I was.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,962
    capt_slog said:

Yup. I said that a while ago.

It was supposed to be, an opinion you hold that is unpopular with others.
    Not, an opinion that you don't agree with and is therefore unpopular with you.
    ...or just something contrary that no one really believes at all. Can't be doing with it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662
    edited July 2020
    Wrong thread.
  • Pross
    Lazy recruitment consultants. I've just received an unsolicited CV that isn't relevant to my own team but passed it to 4 colleagues only to find they've all been sent it too. The candidate is based in London (our nearest office is 60 miles away), there's no mention of whether they are looking to relocate and their experience is all public sector so doesn't really match with what our company does. To top it off, the email I received was addressed to a different name.

If I was the candidate and discovered my CV was being sent out like that I'd be moving to a different recruitment consultant. The plus point is that the CV sent over has the candidates name on and as it wasn't solicited if they had been of interest I would have simply looked them up on LinkedIn and contacted them directly to offer an interview.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,829
    Lazy is definitely the word. They use keyword searches and if any are applicable then it gets put through the system. I've lost count of the amount of positions I've been invited to apply for that are most certainly not to my skills or experience but the description happens to include one keyword.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross said:

Lazy recruitment consultants. I've just received an unsolicited CV that isn't relevant to my own team but passed it to 4 colleagues only to find they've all been sent it too. The candidate is based in London (our nearest office is 60 miles away), there's no mention of whether they are looking to relocate and their experience is all public sector so doesn't really match with what our company does. To top it off, the email I received was addressed to a different name.

If I was the candidate and discovered my CV was being sent out like that I'd be moving to a different recruitment consultant. The plus point is that the CV sent over has the candidates name on and as it wasn't solicited if they had been of interest I would have simply looked them up on LinkedIn and contacted them directly to offer an interview.

I think you relinquished the moral high ground with your last sentence
  • Pross

Pross said:

I'm not seeking the moral high ground. If someone sends you information when you've had no past dealings with them, haven't asked them to send it through and doesn't even have the common sense to anonymise their Clients name then they're inviting people to take that approach with them. It comes down to their laziness. All respectable recruitment consultants I deal with take details of what we are looking for and try to match the candidates. We'll then get an anonymised CV and, if they look promising, we are then committed to a contract regarding the recruitment fees before we get the full details and have the interview arranged. If we get sent an unsolicited CV it is usually by a company we have worked with in the past and it won't have the candidates name. When we get something unsolicited it is usually along the lines of 'I am working with a technician seeking a new challenge. They have 10 years experience, these qualifications and expertise in this software. If interested please get in touch'.

This approach was on a par with an inventor trying to cold sell you his idea by sending you the full design plans whilst not having taken out a patent.

I worked somewhere where a CV got sent in that was for a current staff member looking to move on from the company. Luckily I knew they were already and was trying to get out myself but had it gone to another person in the company it could have caused problems for them.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I'm not seeking the moral high ground. If someone sends you information when you've had no past dealings with them, haven't asked them to send it through and doesn't even have the common sense to anonymise their Clients name then they're inviting people to take that approach with them. It comes down to their laziness. All respectable recruitment consultants I deal with take details of what we are looking for and try to match the candidates. We'll then get an anonymised CV and, if they look promising, we are then committed to a contract regarding the recruitment fees before we get the full details and have the interview arranged. If we get sent an unsolicited CV it is usually by a company we have worked with in the past and it won't have the candidates name. When we get something unsolicited it is usually along the lines of 'I am working with a technician seeking a new challenge. They have 10 years experience, these qualifications and expertise in this software. If interested please get in touch'.

This approach was on a par with an inventor trying to cold sell you his idea by sending you the full design plans whilst not having taken out a patent.

I worked somewhere where a CV got sent in that was for a current staff member looking to move on from the company. Luckily I knew they were already and was trying to get out myself but had it gone to another person in the company it could have caused problems for them.
    I get all of that but where would you place it on a scale of 1 - 10 of business ethics with 10 being purer than snow and 1 should be in prison?
  • Pross
    About an 8.
  • rick_chasey
    Give em grief Pross.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd do exactly the same as Pross. I mean, who gives a f***? Apart from the lazy sh1te who sent the unsolicited correspondence in the first place?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Pross said:

I get all of that but where would you place it on a scale of 1 - 10 of business ethics with 10 being purer than snow and 1 should be in prison?
    Sending someone’s CVs without their permission is about a 4, assuming 3.5 and below are finable offences.

In fact, if there was such thing as a recruitment regulator, it’s the first thing it should stamp out.

It’s not hard to ask and if it is you’re in the wrong job.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,609
    Ben6899 said:

I'd do exactly the same as Pross. I mean, who gives a f***? Apart from the lazy sh1te who sent the unsolicited correspondence in the first place?

This really.

Unsolicited info or gifts are to do with as you will.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Pross said:

Sending someone’s CVs without their permission is about a 4, assuming 3.5 and below are finable offences.

In fact, if there was such thing as a recruitment regulator, it’s the first thing it should stamp out.

Isn't it already a breach of data rules, GDR etc.?

I was pretty shocked when it happened to me.

Lack of trust in recruitment consultants puts me off changing jobs.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

Pross said:

Pross said:

Erm I don’t know re GDPR.

Problem in the industry is that the barriers to entry are extremely low. You basically need an internet connection, some kind of computer and a phone so you can get all sorts.

There are firms obviously who have decent reps etc.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Pross said:

Erm I don’t know re GDPR.

Problem in the industry is that the barriers to entry are extremely low. You basically need an internet connection, some kind of computer and a phone so you can get all sorts.

There are firms obviously who have decent reps etc.
    The difficulty is that it is the employer who chooses and pays the recruitment consultant, so the potential employee doesn't have much choice if they fancy a particular job.