Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    The signs are definitely annoying.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

'Baby on board' car stickers.
    Would only be significant if the baby in question was actually driving.

I wouldn't be so bothered by this, apart from when i see people driving dangerously and then see that they have a baby on board sticker.
    What is the cut off age of passengers and other road users where you can srart to be more blasé about their safety?
    How about people driving dangerously who could potentially hit a car with a baby on board sticker? Do you factor that in?
    You misunderstand. I'm annoyed because they expect other drivers to drive more carefully due to their baby being on board, whilst they themselves drive in such a way that their baby's safety doesn't appear to be important.

I myself have a 9 month old boy, don't have one of these stickers and desire everyone to drive safely at all times.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Why would I drive more carefully because you have a baby on board or not?

What I definitely do which is super annoying; if I'm legit in the fast lane (i.e. actually passing cars in the lanes to my left) and someone comes up speeding behind, right on my bumper flashing lights etc I will make sure I slow down so I am only *just* going fast enough to pass the cars i the other lane in order to inconvenience them as much as possible.

It's petty and I am not a good person for it. Can't resist however.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692

What I definitely do which is super annoying; if I'm legit in the fast lane (i.e. actually passing cars in the lanes to my left) and someone comes up speeding behind, right on my bumper flashing lights etc I will make sure I slow down so I am only *just* going fast enough to pass the cars i the other lane in order to inconvenience them as much as possible.

Satisfying though isn't it when you see some gammon steaming with faux rage when you eventually let them past. Even better when you drive a 3t pickup truck - good luck trying to intimidate me Audi-boy, as per the other day...😊
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

I hope you do that with your Baby on Board diamond dangling in the back windscreen ....
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon said:

Satisfying though isn't it when you see some gammon steaming with faux rage when you eventually let them past. Even better when you drive a 3t pickup truck - good luck trying to intimidate me Audi-boy, as per the other day...😊
    Well, if you are going to introduce Audi drivers, aren't they an annoyance on their own.
    Like drivers of blacked out beemers thinking they are gangsta.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I've recently changed my main email account to Outlook and got a message yesterday telling me I have to sign back in which it appears they do at regular intervals for security reasons. I tried to do so but couldn't remember by password as it wasn't one of my regulars and didn't follow the format I use so hit the forgotten password button. Rather than ask a few standard security questions I had to type in previous passwords for the site (haven't had any other than the one I've forgotten) and whether I've bought any Microsoft products (I haven't). I then got the automated response from them to my alternative email address saying I hadn't given enough information so have to submit another identical form, as my answers will be the same it appears unlikely the result will be any different and there's no contact details for resolving the issue. Looks like I'm going to have to open another email account and change my details in all the various accounts that need my email address again.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross said:

I've recently changed my main email account to Outlook

write it down .... old people have to do that ... :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Even more annoying, I found their online support chat and after 20 minutes of that I was told they would send an email that they assured me would sort the issue for me. The email arrives with two links, the first to the exact same form I'd been trying so I tried again and got the same result (it also asks me for information on recently sent emails - I haven't sent any from the account) so I went to the second 'last chance' link only to find that also went to the same form. I'm ready to start smashing stuff now!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360

When said driver is that close @70mph, no reaction time is quick enough in the event you have to slam your brakes on.

I recall J Clarkson and M Schumacher doing a reflex test with a ruler (quite simple to do). Curiously, JC was averaging 0.31 of a second and MS 0.27.

[Not a huge gap but the difference between JC and MS was the ability to anticipate.]

So, @ 70mph a reaction time of 0.3 seconds is almost 11 feet.

Doesn't leave much margin of error.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    pinno said:

When said driver is that close @70mph, no reaction time is quick enough in the event you have to slam your brakes on.

I recall J Clarkson and M Schumacher doing a reflex test with a ruler (quite simple to do). Curiously, JC was averaging 0.31 of a second and MS 0.27.

[Not a huge gap but the difference between JC and MS was the ability to anticipate.]

If that happens to me I prefer to leave the tailgating tw@ts for dust. Would appear that some people don't have that option :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

If that happens to me I prefer to leave the tailgating tw@ts for dust. Would appear that some people don't have that option :)
    You can just let them go and give them a wink as they pass.
    Funny, even when i'm crawling along, they're not so hell bent on trying to overtake.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

You can just let them go and give them a wink as they pass.
    Funny, even when i'm crawling along, they're not so hell bent on trying to overtake.
    Tbh I dont get it that often - I guess some of them clock what they're behind. Same for you I reckon.

I quite like booting it, leave them trailing then pull in, slow down and give them a nice wave when they eventually pass :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    People who go all VTech about what car they drive.
    Sheeesh! :D
  • Stevo_666

People who go all VTech about what car they drive.
    Sheeesh! :D

:smile: Don't go all 'Cake Stop' on me Bally. Could be one of those cheap little kit cars that are very fast...
  • 'Baby on board' car stickers.
    Would only be significant if the baby in question was actually driving.

It's amazing how many close passes I get from people with these stickers
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • ballysmate
    Since when did kitchen taps become a consumable?
    When I were a lad, a dripping tap was cured for a few pennies with a new washer. Our tap has started to drip, but have learnt that the chances of repairing it are FA. Contains a ceramic disc that is nigh on impossible to identify and replace apparently.
    Grrrr.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688

When I were a lad, a dripping tap was cured for a few pennies with a new washer. Our tap has started to drip, but have learnt that the chances of repairing it are FA. Contains a ceramic disc that is nigh on impossible to identify and replace apparently.
    Grrrr.

Since kitchens became a thing to show off to your friends rather than a place to store and cook food.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    why is it when a web service,web site, mobile app and yes even a forum ;) does an update which is largely just superficial or delivers some whizzy back office update that none of the users care for, fundamentally breaks functionality users actually cared for, and their response is always "but its better, just deal with it"
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Grrrr.

Since kitchens became a thing to show off to your friends rather than a place to store and cook food.
    When your house/flat is so small the only way they made it liveable was to knock all the walls down so your kitchen is in your living room and so everything is constantly on show....
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    Payed instead of Paid
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    edited January 2020

Grrrr.

They realised that rubber washers were like SPD cleats - virtually indestructible, and cheaply replaced if they do wear out: they had to invent something under the guise of 'improvement' which 'coincidentally' is much more expensive.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well I noticed a while back that the derailleur pulleys were loose and wobbly (but starting to give a bit of resistance to turning).
    So I decided to replace them last night, and why not a new chain while I was at it. And badly needed new brake blocks too.

The roads round here have been unbelievable this week - we've had the northern half of the high pressure, which tends to mean mild and damp westerlies: no rain but the roads have still been uniformly soaking, and farm activity means covered in mud too. I arrive every time looking like I've just done a CX race when I've not been off road at all.

So first of all it took ages to wash the bike properly first.

Then remove and thoroughly clean the rear mech, reassemble, new chain, all fine.

Except the gear cable was too frayed to get back into the mech. No problem, got a spare: except that, try as I might, I couldn't get it threaded into the shifter. Never mind, peel off the hood and poke around... darn, the hood splits clean in two.
    Still, once I could pull the cable outer from the shifter I managed to get the cable through, reassemble, got a spare bar tape so that'll do, who needs a hood anyway?

Then the usual faff indexing the gears. I'm particularly bad at that, always takes me ages and never get it right first time even when I follow the instructions to the letter.

Now for the brakes. Filthy and seized up - how come the grub screws that hold the pads in never come out properly?
    Finally get the old pads off, clean them up, new pads on. Replace on bike.
    Of course they need adjusting: but on the rear, the barrel adjuster's totally seized. Never mind, just adjust the cable at the clamp... darn, the bolt is totally seized too.
    Much GT85 and cursing later I finally free it. I was really worried that the brake itself would snap with the amount of force I was using - I could see the arm bending.

So finally get to bed after midnight, and up again at 5 to get ready to ride in to work - and it's soon painfully obvious that the indexing is still off: stopping every couple of minutes to twiddle but it still kept jumping no matter what.

Still, at least I'm out riding, and it's nice to have this wee hill to coast down at 50kmh or so...

... uh oh, pheasant...

...I thought it was heading straight for my front wheel but it pulled up amazingly fast and managed to hit me really hard on the side of my head, despite my best efforts to duck and take it on the helmet.

No blood so I guess at least the beak and claws missed, but more pain than I really want right now for sure.

I hope you're all having a great day :D
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Spotify algo generated playlists (e.g. Release Radar, Discover Weekly), including the 'clean' versions of explicit records.
  • Spotify algo generated playlists (e.g. Release Radar, Discover Weekly), including the 'clean' versions of explicit records.

In a reverse of this, I wish I could edit my "frequently played" playlists so they didn't include Natalie's Rap. Makes it a bit awkward when played in polite company.
  • bompington
    The general lack of user controllability in Spotify annoys me a lot, especially in the mobile app. A simple SQL interface to generate playlists would be my ideal.

in fact, all mobile apps that take the functionality of a website and restrict it - i.e. most of them.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Well I noticed a while back that the derailleur pulleys were loose and wobbly (but starting to give a bit of resistance to turning).
    So I decided to replace them last night, and why not a new chain while I was at it. And badly needed new brake blocks too.

The roads round here have been unbelievable this week - we've had the northern half of the high pressure, which tends to mean mild and damp westerlies: no rain but the roads have still been uniformly soaking, and farm activity means covered in mud too. I arrive every time looking like I've just done a CX race when I've not been off road at all.

So first of all it took ages to wash the bike properly first.

Then remove and thoroughly clean the rear mech, reassemble, new chain, all fine.

Except the gear cable was too frayed to get back into the mech. No problem, got a spare: except that, try as I might, I couldn't get it threaded into the shifter. Never mind, peel off the hood and poke around... darn, the hood splits clean in two.
    Still, once I could pull the cable outer from the shifter I managed to get the cable through, reassemble, got a spare bar tape so that'll do, who needs a hood anyway?

Then the usual faff indexing the gears. I'm particularly bad at that, always takes me ages and never get it right first time even when I follow the instructions to the letter.

Now for the brakes. Filthy and seized up - how come the grub screws that hold the pads in never come out properly?
    Finally get the old pads off, clean them up, new pads on. Replace on bike.
    Of course they need adjusting: but on the rear, the barrel adjuster's totally seized. Never mind, just adjust the cable at the clamp... darn, the bolt is totally seized too.
    Much GT85 and cursing later I finally free it. I was really worried that the brake itself would snap with the amount of force I was using - I could see the arm bending.

So finally get to bed after midnight, and up again at 5 to get ready to ride in to work - and it's soon painfully obvious that the indexing is still off: stopping every couple of minutes to twiddle but it still kept jumping no matter what.

Still, at least I'm out riding, and it's nice to have this wee hill to coast down at 50kmh or so...

... uh oh, pheasant...

...I thought it was heading straight for my front wheel but it pulled up amazingly fast and managed to hit me really hard on the side of my head, despite my best efforts to duck and take it on the helmet.

No blood so I guess at least the beak and claws missed, but more pain than I really want right now for sure.

I hope you're all having a great day :D

Ouch. Hope there's no lasting damage. Not pleasant (feel free to applaud my pun-abstinence).
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • bompington
    I'm not a pheasant plucker...
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Duck or grouse
  • pinno

Well ...day :D

Did you make sure that the jockey wheel with play goes uppermost?
    Else it will not index properly.

Section 9:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13084278/problems-with-rear-mechs#latest