Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As I have said, you can't measure something accurately against events in a parallel universe.
    Models are in essence someone's best guess.
    Perhaps the person who modelled the impact of the new forum could pop along and explain that better than me.

Keep saying it Bally, eventually they might understand :)

You forgot to mention 'Butterfly effect'.
    Are you unable or just unwilling to understand Brian? We've been very patient in explaining it to you several times.

Just because I don't share your interpretation of its implications doesn't mean that I don't understand its essence. Explaining your view of it several times doesn't make your version any more true.
    It's a well established piece of science; all I am doing is informing you. As mentioned, I suspect you don't want to understand because of reasons already stated.
    Indeed it is. You are informing me repeatedly of your interpretation of its implication in a specific instance. But you seem to be under the impression that scientific theories can have only one possible interpretation (in this case, that it supports your conjecture). If that were the case, the Met Office would have only one model to crunch the data coming in. They don't. By comparing the output of various models, not only can they give a probability figure for their forecasts, but they can also refine the models, rather than just accepting all models will always have a degree of uncertainty as an excuse for not refining them and their interpretation of the results.
    Remember my key point about this applying to longer term time frames. Also, you really should read that book.
    I will read the book - promise (though I've got quite a long reading list to get through). And yes, agreed re longer time frames. But that doesn't make all modelling redundant or irrelevant, especially where there's a sharp divergence from previous expectations (or, equally, a close agreement with models revised with new data).

To get back to the Met Office analogy: the accuracy of today's four-day forecast is as good as the one-day forecasts of forty years ago, because of more data and refined models. The 'butterfly effect' has not changed in that time, but science's ability to allow for it has, even if it's by accepting that some of its forecasts are more reliable than others.
    Do you really not know the drill? SteveO says something indefensible (as we all do) this is pointed out to him and he starts digging and digging and digging, whilst asking unanswerable and irrelevant questions that he demands you answer in one word.

If it helps try and see yourself as sitting on a waltzer at a travelling fair, SteveO is stood on the back, rollup hanging from lower lip, nonchalantly spinning it wildly so you can not get off.
    Oh dear. After being unable to say what you thought I didn't understand, you went for condescension and now have stooped to just being sarcastic and bitter.

Well done, nearly as sad as when you went all weird and falsely accused me if being a liar and a 'grass' over that leftie bloke who set up the duplicate account to try and troll me :)

Seems I have got to you...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As I have said, you can't measure something accurately against events in a parallel universe.
    Models are in essence someone's best guess.
    Perhaps the person who modelled the impact of the new forum could pop along and explain that better than me.

Keep saying it Bally, eventually they might understand :)

You forgot to mention 'Butterfly effect'.
    Are you unable or just unwilling to understand Brian? We've been very patient in explaining it to you several times.

Just because I don't share your interpretation of its implications doesn't mean that I don't understand its essence. Explaining your view of it several times doesn't make your version any more true.
    It's a well established piece of science; all I am doing is informing you. As mentioned, I suspect you don't want to understand because of reasons already stated.
    Indeed it is. You are informing me repeatedly of your interpretation of its implication in a specific instance. But you seem to be under the impression that scientific theories can have only one possible interpretation (in this case, that it supports your conjecture). If that were the case, the Met Office would have only one model to crunch the data coming in. They don't. By comparing the output of various models, not only can they give a probability figure for their forecasts, but they can also refine the models, rather than just accepting all models will always have a degree of uncertainty as an excuse for not refining them and their interpretation of the results.
    Remember my key point about this applying to longer term time frames. Also, you really should read that book.
    I will read the book - promise (though I've got quite a long reading list to get through). And yes, agreed re longer time frames. But that doesn't make all modelling redundant or irrelevant, especially where there's a sharp divergence from previous expectations (or, equally, a close agreement with models revised with new data).

To get back to the Met Office analogy: the accuracy of today's four-day forecast is as good as the one-day forecasts of forty years ago, because of more data and refined models. The 'butterfly effect' has not changed in that time, but science's ability to allow for it has, even if it's by accepting that some of its forecasts are more reliable than others.
    Do you really not know the drill? SteveO says something indefensible (as we all do) this is pointed out to him and he starts digging and digging and digging, whilst asking unanswerable and irrelevant questions that he demands you answer in one word.

If it helps try and see yourself as sitting on a waltzer at a travelling fair, SteveO is stood on the back, rollup hanging from lower lip, nonchalantly spinning it wildly so you can not get off.

Are you suggesting there's a pattern? ;)

If you knew how I try to help my pupils learn stuff, you'd know that I'm both patient and persistent. Most of them actually do want to learn, which is always a good starting point...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

I dont know sometimes they seem fairly reliable, other times it feels very hit and miss, I notice it more I guess as I try and plan cycle commute days on it, and certainly last week, though Im sure theyd claim storm Brendan made it more difficult to predict accurately, it was all over the place days it forecast sun it rained, days it forecast rain it was just cloudy,and it felt windier on the days they said the wind would die down and not that windy when they were issuing weather warnings.

last weekend perfect example the Friday forecast said Saturday would be the better weather day sun,low wind etc, actually it was Sunday instead
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2020
    awavey said:

I dont know sometimes they seem fairly reliable, other times it feels very hit and miss, I notice it more I guess as I try and plan cycle commute days on it, and certainly last week, though Im sure theyd claim storm Brendan made it more difficult to predict accurately, it was all over the place days it forecast sun it rained, days it forecast rain it was just cloudy,and it felt windier on the days they said the wind would die down and not that windy when they were issuing weather warnings.

last weekend perfect example the Friday forecast said Saturday would be the better weather day sun,low wind etc, actually it was Sunday instead

They do actually calculate a confidence % for their forecasts, but when the Met Office asked the public whether they wanted it published, they said no. (I was told this by their 'Head of Climate' at the time, who's a friend.) You can tend to tell which ones are dodgy by how much they keep changing them. We tend to notice all the times when the forecast is wrong, not all the more numerous boring days when it's accurate.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    capt_slog said:

Big Ben striking to mark Brexit.

I don't give a paramecium's poo whether it strikes or not. Like most of the UK, I won't hear it unless it's through a speaker, so it might as well be generated by a speaker if it has to 'chime' at all.

But 500k? really? And the imperative that some people are putting on this.

If they're willing to blow 500k, please put it to better use.

If you put me and Mrs Slog up somewhere nice in London for the night, I'll climb up a ladder and censored the thing with a hammer. You could even afford to chuck in the conductor of the LSO to count me,

The money raised should be given to a homeless ness charity. Or - this would be really sweet - to Foreign Aid.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Ben6899 said:

capt_slog said:

Big Ben striking to mark Brexit.

I don't give a paramecium's poo whether it strikes or not. Like most of the UK, I won't hear it unless it's through a speaker, so it might as well be generated by a speaker if it has to 'chime' at all.

But 500k? really? And the imperative that some people are putting on this.

If they're willing to blow 500k, please put it to better use.

If you put me and Mrs Slog up somewhere nice in London for the night, I'll climb up a ladder and censored the thing with a hammer. You could even afford to chuck in the conductor of the LSO to count me,

The money raised should be given to a homeless ness charity. Or - this would be really sweet - to Foreign Aid.

My understanding was it would go to Help the Heros
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    People confusing the words tact and tack. Totally trivial, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Novels written in the first person.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

People confusing the words tact and tack. Totally trivial, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Nice of you to get the thread back on the right tact.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Walked into that one, didn't I?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2020
    People confusing the words tack and track.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    'Baby on board' car stickers.
    Would only be significant if the baby in question was actually driving.
  • Pross

Both the right tack and right track are correct and have similar meanings.
  • Pross

What? You mean you don't slow down and back off to protect their precious cargo? They're the only people clever enough to have produced offspring, I think the correct thing to do is flag them down and congratulate them on their achievement.
  • ballysmate
    Well ordinarily of course I would just rearend the car in front, but not if there is a baby on board obviously
    The other explanation is that they are offering up an excuse in advance for their sh1te driving..
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    edited January 2020
    People whinging on Twitter about speed traps on residential roads being used as racetracks.
    * They're parked in a bus stop, it's illegal (not a bus stop)
    * They're hiding round the corner (it's the most visible spot on a long straight road)
    etc
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Pross said:

What? You mean you don't slow down and back off to protect their precious cargo? They're the only people clever enough to have produced offspring, I think the correct thing to do is flag them down and congratulate them on their achievement.
    Similar is "Caution Horses" on the back of horse boxes.

If they're moving them, the horse is their problem, not mine. If it's not able to be moved in a horse box, leave it in the field. I don't have to exercise any more caution than I would for a furniture van.

And as for "Caution, show dogs in transit", just get a life!

The older I get, the better I was.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Apparently there was originally an actual purpose - I can't remember the exact details but it was something like a crash where emergency services failed to notice a baby who has got shunted into the footwell, leading to a campaign for the sign.

If that is true it makes some kind of sense - although of course it shouldn't be an issue for babies in car seats.
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2020
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Both the right tack and right track are correct and have similar meanings.
    Sort of, I agree, but the more common idiom has a clear winner...

We might be in eggcorn territory...
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

I refuse to congratulate people for doing what the teenage population of Middlesbrough seem to achieve on a regular basis without much apparent effort.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross

Apparently there was originally an actual purpose - I can't remember the exact details but it was something like a crash where emergency services failed to notice a baby who has got shunted into the footwell, leading to a campaign for the sign.

If that is true it makes some kind of sense - although of course it shouldn't be an issue for babies in car seats.
    That can lead to emergency services or members of the public risking their lives only to find the driver was commuting to work and didn't have the baby with them.
  • ballysmate
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I refuse to congratulate people for doing what the teenage population of Middlesbrough seem to achieve on a regular basis without much apparent effort.
    I think you will find they are hard at it most of the time.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    I drove like a grandad when I fist had my first born in the car.

Now they love a bit of pedal and metal.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

They do actually calculate a confidence % for their forecasts, but when the Met Office asked the public whether they wanted it published, they said no. (I was told this by their 'Head of Climate' at the time, who's a friend.) You can tend to tell which ones are dodgy by how much they keep changing them. We tend to notice all the times when the forecast is wrong, not all the more numerous boring days when it's accurate.

well I dont think confidence % would be that useful as presumably they dont bother publishing if they arent that confident anyway :smile: but the basis we assume is 1 days forecasts are pretty accurate, 4 days are like where we were on the 1 day forecasts decades ago.

but so this week the 4 day forecast was for low temps around 5C, mostly overcast and cloudy, maybe even a bit of rain,which its still resolutely holding for the 1day forecast as well,so reasonably safe biking weather avoiding ice on the roads, yet so far this week its been mostly sunny very clear skies and with correspondingly much lower temps with frost/ice/freezing fog in the mornings & nighttime
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

I drove like a grandad when I fist had my first born in the car.

Now they love a bit of pedal and metal.

I bet you didn't have one of those bumper stickers though.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How do i stop notifications, the emails from this thread are killing me :)
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

People whinging on Twitter about speed traps on residential roads being used as racetracks.
    * They're parked in a bus stop, it's illegal (not a bus stop)
    * They're hiding round the corner (it's the most visible spot on a long straight road)
    etc

On my A road commute they sit in the same layby once a month, I think we have come to an understanding. The slightly frustrating thing is that there are miles of excellent overtaking straights, the only really dangerous driving I see is people overtaking on blind corners so I have to stop in the road to avoid them. I can't say someone overtaking me at 80mph has put my life in danger in the same way

Obviously that is perceived risk rather than actual
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I wouldn't be so bothered by this, apart from when i see people driving dangerously and then see that they have a baby on board sticker.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

I wouldn't be so bothered by this, apart from when i see people driving dangerously and then see that they have a baby on board sticker.
    What is the cut off age of passengers and other road users where you can srart to be more blasé about their safety?
    How about people driving dangerously who could potentially hit a car with a baby on board sticker? Do you factor that in?