Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Having recently moved house I got a letter from the mafia threatening to fine me if I did not explain to them why I don't need to pay them any money.

Err... can you elaborate?

TV Licencing. The BBC.

It is unlikely the mafia are impersonating the BBC to scam circa £150 out of you.

'Mafia' means different things to different people.

Bet It was something to do with getting your mail redirected -- gov mail doesn't get redirected unless you tell them about the address change -- one to remember -- I didn't get my car tax v11 reminder form -- after moving house some years ago. Some bother that caused!
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Cowsham wrote:
    Bet It was something to do with getting your mail redirected -- gov mail doesn't get redirected unless you tell them about the address change -- one to remember -- I didn't get my car tax v11 reminder form -- after moving house some years ago. Some bother that caused!

That's a good point you make there. I did have the mail redirected but the TV licensing letter is addressed to 'Present Occupier' at the new address and begins 'Something's changed at this address'. Somehow they know I am a new occupier. Either way they sent me a letter threatening to fine me if I did not pay them some money. That's the way of the Mafia.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Having recently moved house I got a letter from the mafia threatening to fine me if I did not explain to them why I don't need to pay them any money.

Err... can you elaborate?

TV Licencing. The BBC.

It is unlikely the mafia are impersonating the BBC to scam circa £150 out of you.

'Mafia' means different things to different people.

...and DVLA are great to deal with :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    Especially if you live in NI -- you can't get car tax without insurance and if your car fails mot ran by the Mafia ( dvla ) you can't drive it home. We can't get an mot at a local garage like you lot and if there's something wrong with it we can't have the mechanic fix it so it'll pass -- no -- we fail and have to get on the waiting list ( can be up to 6 weeks ! ) re-book a re test mot with whatever they highlight fixed and hope it passes.

If your importing a vehicle that's a disaster cos Swansea can't deal with ni stuff because they haven't bothered to put the necessary procedure in place since our offices were axed. So you get into a never ending feedback loop of correspondence.
  • cowsham
    This forum seems to be refusing posts from three mobile with that spamhaus carry on although I can post using the same mobile when on Wi-Fi ?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Porridge. Yeh, there are some carbohydrates there, but it's a healthy option and you won't need a lot to feel full/satisfied.

Someone asked about breakfast options. Didn't they? :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The DVLA took a mate of mine's license off him because he hadn't updated his license and they sent a letter to his old address
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why do coffee grinders make more noise than Concorde?

Because you've got a crappy electric grinder that doesn't grind at all but just shreds the crap out of the beans rather than a manual grinder that does the job properly and a lot more quietly?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:

Because you've got a crappy electric grinder that doesn't grind at all but just shreds the crap out of the beans rather than a manual grinder that does the job properly and a lot more quietly?

Mine has a series of lights which go from coarse to fine, unfortunately it means half of it is fine and the other half is extremely coarse. Rubbish. Off to the shop I go
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Mine has a series of lights which go from coarse to fine, unfortunately it means half of it is fine and the other half is extremely coarse. Rubbish. Off to the shop I go

A lot apparently seem to be variations on the blender theme; if it has blades rather than grinders you'd probably be better off just sourcing your coffee from a decent coffee shop and getting them to grind it for you.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cowsham wrote:
    This forum seems to be refusing posts from three mobile with that spamhaus carry on although I can post using the same mobile when on Wi-Fi ?

That's because you're posting from a new IP address - that of the wifi.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Apparently we are getting a new forum platform?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fucking hell. Who signed off on this shite?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cowsham

I see they didn't include my last prophetic post.
    And as predicted -- it's krrap -- why????
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Listening to those 'old duffers' on the Cycling Podcast Moore Birnie and Friebe.

Actually that's annoying in its own right but the main gripe is their advertising their current sponsor StitchFix as receiving a monthly delivery of new clothes, which they can keep or send back.

Eh?
    1) who and I include all genders in this needs a monthly delivery of new clothes?

2) isn't this just another example of excessive wastage, throwaway consumer culture? Greta. Kid. Where are you?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Badly organised forums....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    cowsham said:

I see they didn't include my last prophetic post.
    And as predicted -- it's krrap -- why????
    Don't like the format much but will probably get used to it but saw your original post and couldn't type a response. I was amazed you thought the old platform wasn't broken, it crashed all the time and had that annoying habit of a banner springing up at the top just as you went to tap on something meaning you opened a clickbait advert instead (I got to the stage where I assumed it was deliberate). Wish they'd get rid of the annoying cookie icon though, I've made my selections and don't need it to be visible all the time.
  • cowsham
    edited October 2019
    pblakeney said:

Yes -- so far it's woeful -- has anyone worked out how to get the " your posts " list and I don't mean " activity -- posts" on this new site.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    edited November 2019
    cowsham said:

pblakeney said:

Yes -- so far it's woeful -- has anyone worked out how to get the " your posts " list and I don't mean " activity -- posts" on this new site.
    Go right up to the top of the screen.
    Click on the 3 horizontal lines in the right hand corner of the Bike Radar banner.
    Click on your username (listed)
    Scroll down (past your avatar) and you'll see the list containing 'posts'.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    pinno said:

cowsham said:

pblakeney said:

Go right up to the top of the screen.
    Click on the 3 horizontal lines in the right hand corner of the Bike Radar banner.
    Click on your username (listed)
    Scroll down (past your avatar) and you'll see the list containing 'posts'.

Your havin a laugh?

• haydenm
    Local Arnold Clark quoted £1050 to do some work on the OH's car, a local non-scamming garage have quoted £65 for a new spring and £5 each fitting for some tyres she can order from Black Circles.

I'd take what the guy in the local garage is saying with a pinch of salt but he says he's had 4 women in in the last 2 weeks will bills of over £1000 from Arnold Clark for work which didn't need doing.

This isn't a sexist post as the OH certainly doesn't need me to help her tell them where to go!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    haydenm said:

Local Arnold Clark quoted £1050 to do some work on the OH's car, a local non-scamming garage have quoted £65 for a new spring and £5 each fitting for some tyres she can order from Black Circles.

I'd take what the guy in the local garage is saying with a pinch of salt but he says he's had 4 women in in the last 2 weeks will bills of over £1000 from Arnold Clark for work which didn't need doing.

This isn't a sexist post as the OH certainly doesn't need me to help her tell them where to go!

Your OH and the 4 others clearly show that they have enough sense. I wonder if AC are trying it on with everyone.
  • haydenm

haydenm said:

Your OH and the 4 others clearly show that they have enough sense. I wonder if AC are trying it on with everyone.
    They probably are, they add in something like 3 years free servicing costs if you buy from them so they are probably trying to generate some income while they are at it. The salesman in there was dreadful, although we ended up driving an hour north to a different branch of AC to get the car she wanted. I'm sure we will try to avoid them in the future
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    haydenm said:

they add in something like 3 years free servicing costs if you buy from them so they are probably trying to generate some income while they are at it. The salesman in there was dreadful, although we ended up driving an hour north to a different branch of AC to get the car she wanted. I'm sure we will try to avoid them in the future

Certainly our experience with AC in Dundee, in fact so similar that I'm starting to get worried you're actually my secret sock-puppet.

We have bought our last 2 cars from Fiskens in Forfar: they've just replaced a shocker - under warranty. That's a >5yo car with nearly 70K miles on the clock.
  • pblakeney

haydenm said:

I used them while my car was under warranty and they were the closest dealer.
    The auto service plan reminded me at @ 9k miles on a regular basis. Now that I have gone independent it has risen to 18k miles. Coincidence? This cynical person says, no.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • haydenm
    This was Dumfries Arnold Clark if anyone is interested, we are going to make a formal complaint to them and the guy at our local garage has taken pictures of everything to complain about AC to the Magical Order of Car Mechanics or someone...

Tempted to stop by on my way home today to have a good shout but I don't think the OH wants me getting involved which is fair enough
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    haydenm said:

This was Dumfries Arnold Clark if anyone is interested, we are going to make a formal complaint to them and the guy at our local garage has taken pictures of everything to complain about AC to the Magical Order of Car Mechanics or someone...

Tempted to stop by on my way home today to have a good shout but I don't think the OH wants me getting involved which is fair enough

This isn't trivial though is it. It's criminal isn't it?

I think you can get trading standards involved in this kind of thing also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • haydenm
    elbowloh said:

haydenm said:

This isn't trivial though is it. It's criminal isn't it?

I think you can get trading standards involved in this kind of thing also.
    Good point, not trivial at all. The current garage are suggesting trading standards, I'd like to call them up at tell them first
  • cowsham
    haydenm said:

I'd take what the guy in the local garage is saying with a pinch of salt but he says he's had 4 women in in the last 2 weeks will bills of over £1000 from Arnold Clark

I want to be a car mechanic - not just for the money but for the 4 women in two weeks!

• pblakeney
    cowsham said:

haydenm said:

I'd take what the guy in the local garage is saying with a pinch of salt but he says he's had 4 women in in the last 2 weeks will bills of over £1000 from Arnold Clark

I want to be a car mechanic - not just for the money but for the 4 women in two weeks!

There was a time that was just two good weekends in a row.
    Veronese68 wrote: