Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Bloody scammers. How stupid do they think... well I suppose there are enough gullibles about.

Latest one is getting, 3 now from different non existent domain names, emails purporting to inform that 'my' package is held up in delivery depot as more money needed to cover delivery cost. Apparently I have won a phone in a competition. Wow, whoopee, for sure I'll click on that link and give you my address and card / account details.

I got an unknown contact through iOS Messages last week, guess that was the scammers testing out whether my contact info was valid.

Fxxk 'em.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    coffee shop nearest work has put up Christmas decorations :(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    edited November 2019
    Back OT:
    British attitude towards wildlife.

News reporter: [after seeing a rescue of a brown bear stuck in a large wheelie bin (quite comical)].
    "Ooh, you wouldn't want yo bump into that when putting your rubbish out".
    Well, as long as I thought I wasn't in danger, yes I would.

It's that attitude that shoots a Leopard when it escapes from the zoo instead of darting it.

I remember in the dimmest light at around 5.45am, roughly 40 or so elephants going through our camp on the Mara river. Big lumps quietly going by within feet of the Toyota Landcruiser we were sleeping in. Only 1 Guy rope disturbed.
    A friend travelling with us from New York at 6am, deep in Amboseli National park, desperately trying to scrabble together bits of dust and twigs and whatever he could scrape up, tent 'door' open, shaking like a leaf and trying in vain to light this heap with his lighter as Lions were walking by at about 40 feet. He thought that fire would scare them off.
    I was 8. The lions just kept walking by.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

Back OT:

News reporter: [after seeing a rescue of a brown bear stuck in a large wheelie bin (quite comical)].

It's that attitude that shoots a Leopard when it escapes from the zoo instead of darting it.

I remember in the dimmest light at around 5.45am, roughly 40 or so elephants going through our camp on the Mara river. Big lumps quietly going by within feet of the Toyota Landcruiser we were sleeping in. Only 1 Guy rope disturbed.
    A friend travelling with us from New York at 6am, deep in Amboseli National park, desperately trying to scrabble together bits of dust and twigs and whatever he could scrape up, tent 'door' open, shaking like a leaf and trying in vain to light this heap with his lighter as Lions were walking by at about 40 feet. He thought that fire would scare them off.
    I was 8. The lions just kept walking by.

I would totally love to see more brown bears. I saw grizzlies on my honeymoon and two of them mated in front of us, even changing position mid-coitus to face us as they were doing it. They were only about 10m away, but we were on a boat so quite safe.

I saw my first ever wild lion last year in Chobe NP in Botswana. I was in the front right seat of an open landcruiser and we came round this corner were i was pretty much face to face with a lioness, just 3 metres away. It pretty much just ignored us, but in that first instance i was amazed and slightly bricking it!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Was listening to the Today programme this morning. Following yesterdays the announcement that the Queen would no longer be wearing any "new" fur, the BBC in their ever strident and misguided desire for balance decided to get in the head of the Fur trade association to promote the positives of the fur industry and tell everyone how much better for the environment real fur was compared to fake fur. I mean ffs. It's not much good for the animal is it?

How about no fur at all, either fake or faux? It looks shoite anyway.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    elbowloh said:

I mean ffs. It's not much good for the animal is it?

Depends what you've used the rest of the animal for doesn't it? If the animal is killed, pelt removed and rest of the animal is discarded then it's a waste - if the rest of the animal is used - then not so bad. And perhaps, it depends why the animal was bred and slaughtered in the first place - if it was primarily for the pelt then that may be a little harder to justify...
    I do get that you have to agree with killing animals for resource in the first place ...

Not that I wear fur anyway...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pinno said:

Back OT:

Well - actually, No, I wouldn't want to bump into a bear when putting my rubbish out - not in my current situation - because we don't have bears in the wild - so this one would be out of place, probably hungry and if I startled it then it may attack before running off.
    But I get your sentiment - it would be nice to see more wildlife around - even living in the country we don't see that much.
  • elbowloh
    slowbike said:

elbowloh said:

I mean ffs. It's not much good for the animal is it?

Depends what you've used the rest of the animal for doesn't it? If the animal is killed, pelt removed and rest of the animal is discarded then it's a waste - if the rest of the animal is used - then not so bad. And perhaps, it depends why the animal was bred and slaughtered in the first place - if it was primarily for the pelt then that may be a little harder to justify...
    I do get that you have to agree with killing animals for resource in the first place ...

Not that I wear fur anyway...
    I doubt the rest of a mink, fox or stoat is used for much else.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Elephants can be quite dangerous, a friend of a friend was trampled to death by one in Botswana two months ago.

I saw loads in Gabon last month, you just have to keep out of their way and let them get on with it.

Also saw snakes, monkeys, buffalo (I dont know if they were really a type of buffalo, could have been a rubbish translation) and the arse of a leopard as it disappeared into the jungle.

All felt kinda safe except if you trod on a snake you'd probably have a bad day... fortunately they seemed just as keen to get away from us as we were to get away from them.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Lol what's with the new swear filter... only said a r s e
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The advantage of knowing Scots... erse seems to be acceptable
  • pinno
    arse
  • pinno
    I see.

it doesn't invert - if you type '20p for the swearbox, it doesn't change it to a*r*s*e.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Today's whinge:
    I really don't mind cycling in bad weather, in fact I actually relish the challenge of heading out in the dark into the headwind, pouring rain, 4° (snow lying not far up the hillsides).

But I really hate the length of time it takes to sort out my gear - rinse, wring, strew all over the staff changing room wherever it stands a chance of drying. About 10 minutes on top of normal changing time.

Knowing full well that it won't be dry anyway, not even by 7:30 when I'll hopefully get away today.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    it is 7th of November.

On way home tonight passed a house with a full on Christmas external display up and running, the large inflatable Santa, the reindeer and sleigh, faux white stuff, all the shee-it.

Why?

And I'l wager it disappears on Boxing Day. 12 days of Christmas? Wassat?
  • pinno
    'shee-it'. Hmm that's not 20p for the swearbox.
  • pinno
    Why does whatever spell checker put a red line under '20p', ffs?
  • pinno
    I'll be here a while adding 1p, 2p, 3p, 4p.... to the dictionary.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    There's a house on my commute home that had full flashing fairy lights out front in early-mid october and they've been lit up every evening that I've passed since then. If they keep them up until the 12th night, it'll cover around 1/4 of the year!
    orraloon said:

it is 7th of November.

On way home tonight passed a house with a full on Christmas external display up and running, the large inflatable Santa, the reindeer and sleigh, faux white stuff, all the shee-it.

Why?

And I'l wager it disappears on Boxing Day. 12 days of Christmas? Wassat?

• pinno
    edited November 2019

Elephants can be quite dangerous, a friend of a friend was trampled to death by one in Botswana two months ago.

I saw loads in Gabon last month, you just have to keep out of their way and let them get on with it.

Also saw snakes, monkeys, buffalo (I dont know if they were really a type of buffalo, could have been a rubbish translation) and the 20p for the swearbox of a leopard as it disappeared into the jungle.

All felt kinda safe except if you trod on a snake you'd probably have a bad day... fortunately they seemed just as keen to get away from us as we were to get away from them.

Buffalo's are extremely aggressive.
    We were charged by an elephant once - a young bull elephant who decided that he was going to flex his muscles. We had to reverse quick, back on to the murum road and in the process, tore off the exhaust.
    We went back to retrieve it later and the French FL kindly welded it back together and put it back on. They were there on training/anti poaching operations. It would have been a very noisy trip home without them.

But in all the time I was there, people were the unpredictable one's and although we heard of incidents with wildlife, most were due to naivety/inexperience/general stupidity, these incidents were rare.

I remember watching an 8mm film. Ian Douglas Hamilton was studying elephants in the (now gone; bought and felled by the Chinese) Chula Hills Jungle. Once the filming ground for Tarzan. The camera was bolted to the roll bar of his jeep. He was driving along and came across and elephant who took exception to his presence.
    Failing to reverse and into a ditch, the elephant proceeded to try and mount the jeep and his front foot slipped between the bonnet and the bumper, getting jammed in the process. Ian took out his gun and darted the elephant. The elephant keeled over and took the jeep with him.
    Ian then had to peg it back and summon help (by foot) as the anesthetic could only be applied for a limited time. The film stopped the point the jeep rolled on to it's side but Ian recalled how it was a race to free the elephant and give it the antidote.
    They did, the jeep was mangled and the elephant survived.

How are the forest elephants of Gabon doing?
    Chad are cashing in on the wildlife tourist trade. They have finally decided that wildlife is more lucrative than poaching. War torn Chad doing conservation, who'd have thought.

• pinno
    pinno said:

Also saw snakes, monkeys, buffalo (I dont know if they were really a type of buffalo, could have been a rubbish translation) and the 20p for the swearbox of a leopard as it disappeared into the jungle.

Buffalo's are extremely aggressive.
    We were charged by an elephant once - a young bull elephant who decided that he was going to flex his muscles. We had to reverse quick, back on to the murum road and in the process, tore off the exhaust.
    We went back to retrieve it later and the French FL kindly welded it back together and put it back on. They were there on training/anti poaching operations. It would have been a very noisy trip home without them.

But in all the time I was there, people were the unpredictable one's and although we heard of incidents with wildlife, most were due to naivety/inexperience/general stupidity, these incidents were rare.

I remember watching an 8mm film. Ian Douglas Hamilton was studying elephants in the (now gone; bought and felled by the Chinese) Chula Hills Jungle. Once the filming ground for Tarzan. The camera was bolted to the roll bar of his jeep. He was driving along and came across and elephant who took exception to his presence.
    Failing to reverse and into a ditch, the elephant proceeded to try and mount the jeep and his front foot slipped between the bonnet and the bumper, getting jammed in the process. The jeep got bounced up and down on the elephants foot. Ian took out his gun and darted the elephant. The elephant keeled over and took the jeep with him.
    Ian then had to peg it back and summon help (by foot) as the anesthetic could only be applied for a limited time. The film stopped the point the jeep rolled on to it's side but Ian recalled how it was a race to free the elephant and give it the antidote.
    They did, the jeep was mangled and the elephant survived.

How are the forest elephants of Gabon doing?
    Chad are cashing in on the wildlife tourist trade. They have finally decided that wildlife is more lucrative than poaching. War torn Chad doing conservation, who'd have thought.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    edited November 2019
    Women asking the question "Do you want to....?" when they mean "I want to....".

I've managed the translation but life is more straightforward if you say what you mean, and mean what you say. An example of not being straightforward - Westminster.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    edited November 2019
    Wrong thread.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

Wrong thread.

Nah. Women phrasing their questions unclearly does annoy me, and is trivial as I have learned to translate. The rest was just fluff.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Wrong thread.

Nah. Women phrasing their questions unclearly does annoy me, and is trivial as I have learned to translate. The rest was just fluff.
    No - wrong thread.
    I had all these tabs open and thought I was replying in the seemingly trivial things that cheer you up thread but in fact, I was typing in the...

Instead of typing up all that bollox:

I had all these tabs open and I thought I was replying in TSTTTCYUT but in fact I was typing in the TSTTTAYT.

• pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Wrong thread.

No - wrong thread.
    I had all these tabs open and thought I was replying in the seemingly trivial things that cheer you up thread but in fact, I was typing in the...

I had all these tabs open and I thought I was replying in TSTTTCYUT but in fact I was typing in the TSTTTAYT.

Maybe you should have been clearer in your first response. 🤣🤣🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Wrong thread.

No - wrong thread.

Maybe you should have been clearer in your first response. 🤣🤣🤣

Calm down, calm down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2YEc6dozA
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Constant news feeds on what the Sussexes and Cambridges are doing or not.
    For privileged families that don't what any attention they sure do get loads.
    I don't read their news but it's in my face when I'm on The Mail online site...😄
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Sachets of ketchup