Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Lagrange wrote:
    Was taking my turn (= was forced to against my will) with the ironing and listening to Radio 4 hoping for some Hymns or stuff like that. It was the Archers - I thought it would be about Robin Hood or William Tell - but it is a load of blx farming soap with disjointed scenes and fng morons.

God knows what the (hopefully small) audience is like.

...on topic because it is trivial and annoyed me - and doubtless the rest of the thinking and unthinking world.

Absolutely! Only I don't mind the ironing -- can't stand any soaps on radio -- but can enjoy someone reading a book on it. ( aloud -- thought I'd better add that before the wise cracks start.)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Cowsham wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Was taking my turn (= was forced to against my will) with the ironing and listening to Radio 4 hoping for some Hymns or stuff like that. It was the Archers - I thought it would be about Robin Hood or William Tell - but it is a load of blx farming soap with disjointed scenes and fng morons.

...on topic because it is trivial and annoyed me - and doubtless the rest of the thinking and unthinking world.

Absolutely! Only I don't mind the ironing -- can't stand any soaps on radio -- but can enjoy someone reading a book on it. ( aloud -- thought I'd better add that before the wise cracks start.)
    If my wife started reading a book about soaps out loud while I did the ironing; gad, there is just too much wrong with that to consider........
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Some people's boats are floated in ways that you just don't understand.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lagrange wrote:

sorry - are you saying you had never heard of The Archers?

#farming
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Nope - and R4 is canned too just in case it has any more dark secrets like Archers.
  • Lagrange
    Chris Bass wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Some banks allow you to pay them in by just taking a picture of the cheque.

this is an interesting development!

Don't be so negative!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pinno wrote:
    Some people's boats are floated in ways that you just don't understand.
    Mine float on water ....
  • Lagrange

sorry - are you saying you had never heard of The Archers?

#farming

Of course I have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=0Sg5CdItQwo
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    my knees hurt more the longer I haven't ridden my bike !?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    awavey wrote:
    my knees hurt more the longer I haven't ridden my bike !?
    There is a lesson to be had there. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Stupid speech affectations.

Listening to some 'millenials' discussing whether to debate the issue of plahs-tux. Is plastics you divs.
  • pinno
    DVLA whinge/fraud

I buy a car form a private seller. He has a private plate which he wants to retain.
    I go online to pay. System does not recognise the code on the little green slip.
    So I decide to call them... menu option...menu option...menu option...menu option...menu option... eventually "Welcome to the DVLA automated tax service". I place the code on the keypad as directed. Fail - not recognised. I actually wanted to speak to some one.
    So I decide to go to the P.O. They couldn't do it either.

I can only presume that the swap over to an age related plate has shorted the wires.

Then it got me thinking.
    Say a seller has a DD set up for his road tax. He sells the vehicle on the 15th of the month. He pays his road tax on the 3rd of the month (or earlier). I pay for the road tax from the 1st of the very same month in full. DVLA won't refund the month of July for the seller and they get the extra for the days between the 1st of the month and when I buy the vehicle. I pay for the whole of the month, not from the day I buy it.

Imagine this scenario is repeated ad infinitum right across the country.

For this extra 'free' income they are receiving, you get a shoddy service.
  • pinno
    Cowsham wrote:
    Getting two questions in one text/message.

What were the questions?
  • pinno
    Cowsham wrote:
    Getting two questions in one text/message.

Would you prefer 2 separate texts?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Extinction Rebellion. The name and some of the campaign goals.

Do they understand what the Committee on Climate Change does? Or that it is independent? Or that it is established by law? Or that is been extremely successful? How would replacing it with a Citizens' Assembly help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee ... ate_Change

If they want to reduce carbon emissions then (i) increase the carbon reduction target (a campaign goal) (ii) label/include estimates of carbon emissions on all imports.

I've just been past the Extinction Rebellion protest in Bristol. Not quite sure how they get away with dropping giant concrete Duplo blocks to close off city centre streets considering I had a Contractor threatened with arrest once for closing a road for 10 minutes without an Order so they could safely complete a job. Must have been hard finding a carbon free means of lifting those blocks into place too!

Bristol seems an odd choice of target for them though considering they have (or at least used to when George Ferguson was mayor) car free Sundays and are probably one of the cities most likely to press green policies.

One for the other thread but it cheer me up to see the protestors were so clichéd it looked like they had been assembled by the casting director of Midsomer Murders. They fell into 3 groups:

Student types looking like they were off to a festival

Retired types reverting to their hippy lifestyle that they probably ditched for 40 years during their working life. My favourites in this class were the couple of their canal barge drinking their morning coffee with an extinction rebellion flag flying from the mast.

Middle aged women in baggy, badly colour co-ordinated clothing with messy hair, the sort who tell people to frown at little Tarquin when he's been naughty.

As always with the sanctimonious it was also quite easy to spot instances of hypocrisy e.g. many were smoking when tobacco production is contributing to deforestation and loss of farming land in many developing countries.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Pross wrote:
    I've just been past the Extinction Rebellion protest in Bristol. Not quite sure how they get away with dropping giant concrete Duplo blocks to close off city centre streets considering I had a Contractor threatened with arrest once for closing a road for 10 minutes without an Order so they could safely complete a job. Must have been hard finding a carbon free means of lifting those blocks into place too!

Bristol seems an odd choice of target for them though considering they have (or at least used to when George Ferguson was mayor) car free Sundays and are probably one of the cities most likely to press green policies.

One for the other thread but it cheer me up to see the protestors were so clichéd it looked like they had been assembled by the casting director of Midsomer Murders. They fell into 3 groups:

Student types looking like they were off to a festival

Retired types reverting to their hippy lifestyle that they probably ditched for 40 years during their working life. My favourites in this class were the couple of their canal barge drinking their morning coffee with an extinction rebellion flag flying from the mast.

Middle aged women in baggy, badly colour co-ordinated clothing with messy hair, the sort who tell people to frown at little Tarquin when he's been naughty.

As always with the sanctimonious it was also quite easy to spot instances of hypocrisy e.g. many were smoking when tobacco production is contributing to deforestation and loss of farming land in many developing countries.

It's always easy to pick holes, and some of them are justified, but difficult to argue with their main point. And it seems to have at least bumped the topic up the agenda, so it has partially worked.

Gove claiming that he'd always admired Johnson's stance on environmental issues did make me feel a little queasy, though. Jeez, have some dignity, man.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's always easy to pick holes, and some of them are justified, but difficult to argue with their main point. And it seems to have at least bumped the topic up the agenda, so it has partially worked.

Gove claiming that he'd always admired Johnson's stance on environmental issues did make me feel a little queasy, though. Jeez, have some dignity, man.

Sure, I don't see how anyone sane can really argue against their aims. Whether blocking the main route into a major city (M32) and cause difficulty for normal people trying to go about their daily lives is the best way to achieve that is debatable though. Ironically, in blocking off Baldwin Street in the city centre all they've achieved is to force traffic to divert around other streets leading to congestion and the resultant increase in pollution on surrounding streets.

However, I'm still smiling at the way the protestors have managed to caricature themselves!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    On his final week at Preschool, we've jigged things so Little Slowbike rides in 3 out of the 4 times. It's fun for us and I know he gets a lot out of it too.
    The first annoying thing is, we could've done this weeks ago to do at least a couple of commutes by bike rather than car ...
    The second is that once he goes to "big school" in september - the commute will be much much shorter - perhaps we'll have to find a longer route! ;)
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pinno wrote:
    DVLA whinge/fraud

I buy a car form a private seller. He has a private plate which he wants to retain.
    I go online to pay. System does not recognise the code on the little green slip.
    So I decide to call them... menu option...menu option...menu option...menu option...menu option... eventually "Welcome to the DVLA automated tax service". I place the code on the keypad as directed. Fail - not recognised. I actually wanted to speak to some one.

I can only presume that the swap over to an age related plate has shorted the wires.

Then it got me thinking.
    Say a seller has a DD set up for his road tax. He sells the vehicle on the 15th of the month. He pays his road tax on the 3rd of the month (or earlier). I pay for the road tax from the 1st of the very same month in full. DVLA won't refund the month of July for the seller and they get the extra for the days between the 1st of the month and when I buy the vehicle. I pay for the whole of the month, not from the day I buy it.

or look on the other side of the coin (it may cheer you up) who on earth pays their VED on DD? the chance of one of those outliers selling their car to another outlier and the dates to fall as you suggest are as likely as finding Lord Lucan
  • Pross
    Pinno wrote:
    DVLA whinge/fraud

Then it got me thinking.

or look on the other side of the coin (it may cheer you up) who on earth pays their VED on DD? the chance of one of those outliers selling their car to another outlier and the dates to fall as you suggest are as likely as finding Lord Lucan

Who doesn't pay their VED by DD or am I misreading your point?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Pross wrote:
    I set mine up to pay by direct debit, but it only took a one off payment and I had do it again every year (unless it's changed recently) which seems to defeat the point of a direct debit.
    I just pay by card now, it's simpler.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    DVLA whinge/fraud

Then it got me thinking.

Pinno suggests that this is repeated "ad infinitum" across the country and so becomes a nice little earner for the DVLA

Working out probability is a long way from being my strong suit but would think that the probability of somebody selling a car liable for VED in the month that they pay a DD in the range of dates he suggests is very small
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    I set mine up to pay by direct debit, but it only took a one off payment and I had do it again every year (unless it's changed recently) which seems to defeat the point of a direct debit.

You can pay monthly now.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    DVLA whinge/fraud

Then it got me thinking.

Hmm... I know quite a few people who pay DD. It's so easy to cancel the DD if you want to SORN it quickly and you are in control of the stop and start date.
  • Pross
    Taking a big mouthful of coffee only to find the milk you've used has gone off.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Pross wrote:
    putting milk in coffee
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Coffee.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:

You should sip. It's far more gentlemanly.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You can pay monthly now.
    You pay an extra 5% for the privilege.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

You can pay monthly now.

Hardly worth it for £20 a year...