Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Shortfall wrote:
    That I don't know.

He called the journo who uncovered the Cambridge analytica scandal and the whole challenge around improper use of data as “a mad cat woman” and called her work “klaptrap”, after which two leading bbc execs made a complaint.

In case it’s not obvious, the work is anything but.

I wasn't aware of that but I wouldn't think that making a rude and incorrect assertion on Twitter should warrant him being sidelined from the Beeb's political output when set against his other achievements and qualifications. His job as a broadcaster was to hold politicians and those in the news to account. Does anyone else currently do it better or even come close?

ETA I just googled the mad cat woman reference and he was using it to describe Carol Cadwalladr. Whatever else she may be I don't think his description of her is too far wide of the mark :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Shortfall wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    That I don't know.

He called the journo who uncovered the Cambridge analytica scandal and the whole challenge around improper use of data as “a mad cat woman” and called her work “klaptrap”, after which two leading bbc execs made a complaint.

I wasn't aware of that but I wouldn't think that making a rude and incorrect assertion on Twitter should warrant him being sidelined from the Beeb's political output when set against his other achievements and qualifications. His job as a broadcaster was to hold politicians and those in the news to account. Does anyone else currently do it better or even come close?

ETA I just googled the mad cat woman reference and he was using it to describe Carol Cadwalladr. Whatever else she may be I don't think his description of her is too far wide of the mark :D

Well she's definitely a woman so 1/3. Neil is a good interviewer, but exposing Johnson as someone who doesn't prepare well or cover his brief is hardly the greatest feat of journalism. Badly prepared politicians who try to bluff/stonewall their way through interviews are ten a penny these days.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I think his track record of skewering stonewalling politicians extends beyond one interview with Boris Johnson last week.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Shortfall wrote:
    I think his track record of skewering stonewalling politicians extends beyond one interview with Boris Johnson last week.

Of course. He prepares better than they do. As do other interviewers. I've been impressed with Emma Barnett and Emily Maitlis recently. The funnier interview by Neil was Ben Shapiro, who did at least have the grace to own up to being under-prepared after he'd embarrassed himself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    The woman in the queue in the bank - in front of me.
    After waiting patiently behind her she moves to the only clerk and withdraws 62p from her account and then plays her trump card by telling her' I'm going to visit my daughter in Australia' thus guaranteeing a 6 hour delay.

..includes speculation as to why her daughter went to the ends of the earth.

There are still bank queues and bank clerks? How quaint!

You don't go into your bank?

No, I expect them to come to me.

Are you the Sultan of Oman, or just some geezer form Peckham?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    After waiting patiently behind her she moves to the only clerk and withdraws 62p from her account and then plays her trump card by telling her' I'm going to visit my daughter in Australia' thus guaranteeing a 6 hour delay.

if hes the Sultan of Oman then I'm the Queen of Sheeba....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Probably neither, he has a 'lower meadow' apparently :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Probably neither, he has a 'lower meadow' apparently :)

Yebbut only because the upper one is higher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Shortfall wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    That I don't know.

Why what makes you say that?

Flurry of respectable awards (Pulitzer etc) for her work suggests she’s just very good at what she does in a highly charged political environment.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Not really trivial but all the red squirrels have disappeared from my garden and the woods around my house.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Fairly nice, modern cars that have a sticker on the flap over the fuel cap saying what fuel they take e.g. a nice new Merc C class I saw earlier. I assume they are hire cars or similar but surely they could put the sticker on the filler cap where it is hidden in day-to-day use?

Also, someone else may have said this recently, people who use acronyms but add the word that the final letter represent such as PIN number or EHIC card.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Pross wrote:
    ...people who use acronyms but add the word that the final letter represent such as PIN number or EHIC card.
    Yebbut. If you said Pi number then peepul would know it was 3.1415926... No?
  • orraloon wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ...people who use acronyms but add the word that the final letter represent such as PIN number or EHIC card.
    Yebbut. If you said Pi number then peepul would know it was 3.1415926... No?

Plus there may not be a EHI card much longer.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    A couple of days hot weather and we're being told to keep in shade, use sun creams, wear hats, drink plenty of fluids etc etc!!.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Mr Goo wrote:
    A couple of days hot weather and we're being told to keep in shade, use sun creams, wear hats, drink plenty of fluids etc etc!!.
    Even more confusing when the same people will be paying hundreds if not thousands to fly off for the same.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I've heard someone today say 'I wish this heatwave would end'. It only started today FFS and is due to last 3 days (although tomorrow is going to be cooler for us in the west so really it's 2 hot days in a 3 day period).
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    its 28-30 degrees in our office (the air con is struggling), the cold water filter thing has all but packed up, now its warm not particularly pleasant and a bit like being on a sweaty bike ride without the benefit of a breeze...but its just about bearable without resorting to rocking up in various stages of beachwear that some parts of the workforce have succumbed to.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    30 degrees in the office ? Christ that sounds uncomfortable. Beachwear sounds appropriate.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Ending an answer with no?
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Ending an answer with no?

Yes?
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Even worse -- Robert Peston has succumbed to beginning every reply with "So" if someone starts a sentence with "So " I tell them I won't hear another word they say while I'm trying to work out what the "so" refers to.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    I've heard someone today say 'I wish this heatwave would end'. It only started today FFS and is due to last 3 days (although tomorrow is going to be cooler for us in the west so really it's 2 hot days in a 3 day period).

Are you sure they didn't say "so I wish this heatwave would end"?!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    OK - I'm allowed to travel to work in the inferno but really, this is too much - the world is coming to an end - probably within a month and certainly before my family holiday week in Norfolk (....actually it is Skegness so the world ending is a relief!).

...nice knowing you - hope it is not very painful.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    That dreadful noise that accompanies Huawei adverts. It gets me reaching for the mute everytime.

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    When medical appointments clash with long standing social events.

Have had a theatre (matinee, kids and OAPs, woohoo) trip booked for next week since back end of last year. Now on fast track for a scan clinic, anomalous test result, get it checked out pronto, and of course this morning's telephone calls mean my clinic session is at precisely the same time as the show start. Inevitable. Xxxx it. Health takes priority.
  • Not really trivial but a longstanding beef of mine, the fact that two people living in a house pay the same rates / council tax as six people living in an identical house.

Six people will be generating more rubbish, using more services but pay the same as two.

Of course Maggie did try and balance this but the scutters who had never paid got their way.

#makethescutterspay.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not really trivial but a longstanding beef of mine, the fact that two people living in a house pay the same rates / council tax as six people living in an identical house.

Six people will be generating more rubbish, using more services but pay the same as two.

Of course Maggie did try and balance this but the scutters who had never paid got their way.

#makethescutterspay.
    But it's determined by the value of the property - not the number of occupiers - so 2 people living in a multi-million pound house will pay a lot more than 6 people living in a flat.
    It's not means tested (unless you're on benefits I think) - so all those living in the same value band properties pay the same amount - regardless of income/savings.

Regarding the Poll tax attempt - I seem to recall that there was issue with charging for students - technically adults, but still in full time education - whilst I get the principle of charging per person in a property, the whole thing wasn't implemented at all well.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Lagrange wrote:
    OK - I'm allowed to travel to work in the inferno but really, this is too much - the world is coming to an end - probably within a month and certainly before my family holiday week in Norfolk (....actually it is Skegness so the world ending is a relief!).

skegness.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Pinno wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

skegness.jpg

...actually it is nowhere near as good as you portray... :(
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Not really trivial but a longstanding beef of mine, the fact that two people living in a house pay the same rates / council tax as six people living in an identical house.

#makethescutterspay.

If your rubbish doesn't fit in your wheelie bin it won't be collected and you have to pay more for extra collections.

What other services, related to the property, do they use more of?

The thing that seems to annoy you is "scutters" as you put it!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes