Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Cyclists who gather for a chat at the end of a cycle path right at the opposed barriers forcing you to stop.

Surely as cyclists themselves they must know they are causing an obstruction.

I just don't get it!

Yes! Oh god, around here, especially what I think might be novice cyclists seem to gather for a chat at pinch points. They're ever so apologetic when they realise they're in the way but I think they forget and do the same thing tomorrow.

Presumably they park their cars at the offramp of the M6 for a good old chat.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Starva basically
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    Cowsham wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The decline of the internet.
    In what way is it declining?

I find it harder to do things or find useful things. It's increasingly prettier, more corporate and owned.

By way of example, I used to be able to see a complete list of football fixtures on one page. Fashion now means that only two fixtures are shown per page. No other information is provided, just lots of space. Equally, I used to be able to download an ICS file of football fixtures (a tiny amount of text), but I can't any more as I am only able to subscribe in exchange for my personal details. I suspect this is in part due to the premier exerting ownership rights to the fixtures, and clubs wanting to harvest data. It's not progress in my view.

I'm with you on that respect of the internet -- websites were better about 10 years ago but since Facebook bought instagram, made it easy for people to upload pictures and videos, people and now even companies have migrated to Facebook leaving their proper websites neglected.

You can't blame them since Facebook does all the policing ( or pretends to ) and people who have the luxury of time to tell the world where they've just shat at usually have disposable income too.

I find a 2 minuit phone call to the right person usually gets faster results than a day dredging the internet. Had a trouble free sh1t in Limavady this morning, just thought you'd like to know that.
    A lot of outfits don't answer the phone though, but my call is important to them and I should call back later. It's due to high call volume!
    NNNNOOO, it's due to low staff volume!

I regularly have to contact Council departments. No-one provides a direct number on their emails anymore and in a lot of cases even the general switchboard number is buried away behind several pages telling you have you can get in touch via their contact page (which never works for the queries I need to make). Once you then finally find a number and go through all the options you invariably end up on hold with regular messages about how easy it is to get in touch using the contact page on the website. If you're lucky someone will eventually answer and put you through to the wrong person who is unable to transfer you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    joe2008 wrote:
    Starva basically

Is that an app which records how little you are eating?
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Pross wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Starva basically

:D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Pross wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I find it harder to do things or find useful things. It's increasingly prettier, more corporate and owned.

By way of example, I used to be able to see a complete list of football fixtures on one page. Fashion now means that only two fixtures are shown per page. No other information is provided, just lots of space. Equally, I used to be able to download an ICS file of football fixtures (a tiny amount of text), but I can't any more as I am only able to subscribe in exchange for my personal details. I suspect this is in part due to the premier exerting ownership rights to the fixtures, and clubs wanting to harvest data. It's not progress in my view.

I'm with you on that respect of the internet -- websites were better about 10 years ago but since Facebook bought instagram, made it easy for people to upload pictures and videos, people and now even companies have migrated to Facebook leaving their proper websites neglected.

You can't blame them since Facebook does all the policing ( or pretends to ) and people who have the luxury of time to tell the world where they've just shat at usually have disposable income too.

I find a 2 minuit phone call to the right person usually gets faster results than a day dredging the internet. Had a trouble free sh1t in Limavady this morning, just thought you'd like to know that.
    A lot of outfits don't answer the phone though, but my call is important to them and I should call back later. It's due to high call volume!

I regularly have to contact Council departments. No-one provides a direct number on their emails anymore and in a lot of cases even the general switchboard number is buried away behind several pages telling you have you can get in touch via their contact page (which never works for the queries I need to make). Once you then finally find a number and go through all the options you invariably end up on hold with regular messages about how easy it is to get in touch using the contact page on the website. If you're lucky someone will eventually answer and put you through to the wrong person who is unable to transfer you.

I have, on many occasions, Googled '[Insert organisation/company name] contact number' and got a different number to the one listed on whatever page, successfully.
    Such as this sort of web site:

https://www.harryfear.co.uk/blog/hidden ... ct-number/
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Starva basically

• cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pross wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

The other day I had a very disconcerting phone call from Lucy -- the disconcerting thing about Lucy was that she is a computer -- the thing sounded so life like I didn't catch on for a minute or two until she said something that was slightly off context -- when I asked to be put on to a real person this chap took over and told me they were testing a new breed of Ai --- I knew this was coming but hadn't expected it this soon -- left me a little shocked. Had a similar experience with a web chat about 6 months before.
  • Cowsham wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Starva basically

Use in conjunction with Just Don't Eat app
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    People who misspell drawer as draw. Usually they come from Maidenhead which in turn is an utterly idiotic name for a town. :D

...and equally idiotic name for a hymen.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Lagrange wrote:
    People who misspell drawer as draw. Usually they come from Maidenhead which in turn is an utterly idiotic name for a town. :D

But which came first?
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

But which came first?

What about 'East Kilbride'? These places are metaphorical.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Pinno wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

But which came first?

What about 'East Kilbride'? These places are metaphorical.
    no virgins there
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    seeing lots of friends post stuff on social media from Brussels at Le Grande Depart...and thinking why didnt I go :cry:
  • pinno
    awavey wrote:
    seeing lots of friends post stuff on social media from Brussels at Le Grande Depart...and thinking why didnt I go :cry:

It's not too late.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Friends, more often than not ones in relationships, who assume that because you are single with no child commitments you are available at a moment's notice to go out or meet up.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Friends, more often than not ones in relationships, who assume that because you are single with no child commitments you are available at a moment's notice to go out or meet up.
    I sometimes find it annoying when single friends try to pretend that they aren't Billy No Mates with loads of time on their hands by turning down spur of the moment social invites :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited July 2019
    jaguar-e-pace-half-leaper-badge-11347-p.png

Possibly one of the most famous car logos, why does it need Jaguar written below it?

This is even more stupid!

2018-Aston-Martin-DB11-Volante-Badge-02-768x512.jpg
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    The guy's voice when you get voicemail on the mobile number of a TalkTalk user. It is trying to be a little less formal than the usual ones but it's just irritating. You almost expect him to call you "mate" or "pal" at the end of the message.
  • Sean Kelly commentating on Eurosport starting with the phrase 'Yes, well...' every time he begins to speak.

And Carlton Kirby saying 'Quite frankly...' far too often.
  • pinno
    Sean Kelly commentating on Eurosport starting with the phrase 'Yes, well...' every time he begins to speak.

And Carlton Kirby saying 'Quite frankly...' far too often.

"..he's been very performant at da moment..." and similar. He can get away with it 'cos it's Kelly, whereas Kirby is just a plonker. He commentated on bits of Le Mans. Came over like and excitable, drunk teenager.
    Then the when the other commentators took over, they were all serene, knowledgeable and informative.
  • When you take a drink during a meal and the place mat sticks to the bottom of your drinking vessel and mysteriously unattaches itself right over your meal.

Strangely this predominantly happens when the meal has sauce or gravy on it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,676
    When you take a drink during a meal and the place mat sticks to the bottom of your drinking vessel and mysteriously unattaches itself right over your meal.

Gravy-tational pull.

I'll see myself out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    Kelly (today): "Dekoenig-Quick step" and "...the knee, the right hand one...".
  • rjsterry wrote:
    When you take a drink during a meal and the place mat sticks to the bottom of your drinking vessel and mysteriously unattaches itself right over your meal.

Gravy-tational pull.

I'll see myself out.

That's good, I like that.
  • Lagrange
    I've got a key which I keep in the lock and when I go out it makes me suicidal that I can't use my going out key from the other side whilst the staying inside key is in the lock.

Actually I'm going to cancel this post because I'm trying not to appear like a friggn lock obsessed tw@.
  • pinno
    rjsterry wrote:

Gravy-tational pull.

I'll see myself out.

That's good, I like that.

But that means he won't go.
  • Lagrange
    Wimbledon. The tennis. Actually the place too come to think of it. Hope it rains. :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    Reporters not knowing how figures work.
    Yes, 4C is @ 40F, but a rise from 20C to 24C is not an increase of 40F.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Reporters not knowing how figures work.
    Yes, 4C is @ 40F, but a rise from 20C to 24C is not an increase of 40F.

If it was Shafernaker, he may have been drunk.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/12/19/hungover ... y-6333382/