2013 Gear

Comments

• I think some were expecting Paul Smith trademark stripes plastered all over the front

I like his drawing of a cyclist on the jersey(s)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    That IAM jersey - is that really pro team kit?! Looks like something a bunch of mamils would knock up for a corporate event.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Its pretty awful I agree. Looks like some Chinese knock off.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not sure what is 'designer' about that Giro jersey...

Last year's jersey was pretty good.

its designer because the bands at the bottom of the sleeves are different colours, and there is a white stripe breaking up the red band at the bottom.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Twitter suggesting that Pinerellos are to be sold by halfords.....

hmmmm
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    daggun.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Great kit that.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    ddraver wrote:

hmmmm

Not the best marketing strategy for a high end brand. I'm sure a load of dentists will walk in off the street and buy some. Pinarello just lost a whole heap of credibility, or maybe desirability. Whatever, they've lost it.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

hmmmm

Not the best marketing strategy for a high end brand. I'm sure a load of dentists will walk in off the street and buy some. Pinarello just lost a whole heap of credibility, or maybe desirability. Whatever, they've lost it.

Feck knows that they're thinking. Enough noses got turned up by Boardman selling his bikes through Halfords, which hasnt helped the shifting of the high end road and TT bikes in his line. And that was him coming from a position of starting to build a brand.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, dunno, remember we re a very small number of pretentious lycra wierdos. The dentist that has nt ridden a bike since childhood, who wants to buy Wiggins' bike thinks, "ooh Halfords sell bikes, I ll go to Halfords". They re not actually selling the top of the range ones...

Boardman has made an absolute mint selling bikes through Halfords, Half the communter forum rides Boardman bikes!

I don't think it's much different to buying a Canyon tbh...
    - @ddraver
  • are you being controversial, draver, old chap?
  • ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, dunno, remember we re a very small number of pretentious lycra wierdos. The dentist that has nt ridden a bike since childhood, who wants to buy Wiggins' bike thinks, "ooh Halfords sell bikes, I ll go to Halfords". They re not actually selling the top of the range ones...

Boardman has made an absolute mint selling bikes through Halfords, Half the communter forum rides Boardman bikes!

I don't think it's much different to buying a Canyon tbh...

I agree.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    It's a bit short sighted IMO. They'll sell a lot of bikes initially but it won't last.

What's the average price of a Pinarello, £2K? more?

Boradmans got to be more like £800. I might be completely wrong but I bet sales of high end boardmans aren't great.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    It's a bit short sighted IMO. They'll sell a lot of bikes initially but it won't last.

What's the average price of a Pinarello, £2K? more?

Boradmans got to be more like £800. I might be completely wrong but I bet sales of high end boardmans aren't great.

Thats kind of the point I'm making. OK, so Pina's start at, what £3.5? Halford's line of Boardmans are up to the £1k mark. His high end and vatly more expensive road and TT bikes arent sold through Halfords but I reckon sales are limited because of the Halfords connection.

Or its all just me being a snob.
  • ddraver
    edited January 2013
    Not controversial (I reckon Mr Boardman has had a word with Signore Pinerello)

Again, they re not selling the expensive Pinerellos only the cheaper (!!) frame models. You can buy a Boardman that is as posh as a Pinerello these days...

For 1400 of your British pounds - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-12-45956

For 5500 - http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/air98.html
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Lots of snobbery here! Pinarellos are just bikes. They sell them in Evans for fecks sake, what's the big deal with Halfords selling them? Halfords can already order in all sorts of stuff anyway.

Pinarellos start at not much over a grand anyway, they are clearly trying to become a big unit shifter rather than an exclusive niche brand so people had better start getting used to it!
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    I fink its just the 'commuter bikes' chaps. In which case Halfords is just the spot Id have thought, and the junior 24" race bike.

I went off Pinarellos when they stopped painting them and put funny shaped forks on tbh, you couldn't give me one :shock: :? .
  • ddraver
    In other news Ilio Keijse (or however) just beat Chavanel in a derney race at the OPQS presentation...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    318037_10200281594833430_1419784751_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Now Cannondale have launched, I retract what I said about the Vision wheels earlier in the thread. They've taken the time to colour match them and it looks way better than the red. Question will be I wonder if they will offer that option on retail wheels.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • frenchfighter
    The rider in Nat Champs kit? Pellizotti.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    The rider in Nat Champs kit? Pellizotti.

he needs a new stylist.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah. Went from:
    diciassettesima_tappa_franco_pellizotti.jpg

To:
    WATSON_00003005-015-1-631x421.jpg

And now he has grown some nasty tache...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    What we all want to know Frenchie, is what that says about his girlfriends views on Nicole Cook!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    thegibdog wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Background - guy in GB kit: his bike looks like it could be a new 'HOY' model. I know it's not Pro gear but it's gear and it's 2013 :wink: Tubes look kinda steel or titanium though, going by their size (in the Sky pic).
    Looks like the new Genesis Volare to me, Reynolds 953 steel. 2013 gear for the Madison Genesis team.

I went into a London Genesis dealer today to see if the Volare frame was out yet. The chap there looked up on his system and told me that Madison wont be riding the steel frame after all as it did not make the grade but will be riding carbon instead :? :| .
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Tidy. Good for him.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

First pic looks like Meryl Streep and Glenn Close at a civil partnership ceremony in a blizzard.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'