Anybody on Ice Tyres Yet?

124»

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    About 1cm of snow settled so far tonight. White Halloween anyone?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Since I'm about to become a cross dresser what's the crack with cross tyre on icy roads?

I've got Marathon Winters but I was thinking of getting something like Racing Ralphs or Sammy Slicks to save 1.3kg.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    Since I'm about to become a cross dresser what's the crack with cross tyre on icy roads?

I've got Marathon Winters but I was thinking of getting something like Racing Ralphs or Sammy Slicks to save 1.3kg.

I'd imagine they were no better than any other standard tyre on ice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:

That's pretty much what google says too. I think I need yet another set of wheels so I can just swap over when I need to in the morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That's pretty much what google says too. I think I need yet another set of wheels so I can just swap over when I need to in the morning.

Just buy a pair of cheapos from Decathlon, they're not dear.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Initialised
    Gutted Friday's snow didn't last oh well, another week on slicks.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Our snow has gone too. 7C and raining this morning.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Asprilla wrote:

The only 'cross tyres I tried (can't remember which ones. Cheap Continentals I think) were terrifyingly bad on ice. I put Marathon Winters on immediately, and they were much more confidence-inspiring.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Initialised
    Put through snow Studs on last night after seeing all the ice on the way back from the Killers gig.

Did the long ride in, and not too bad, no real need for the Studs but they are like a gun on the Moon on frozen mornings.

Since they didn't get much action I took them for a blast on a local trail at lunchtime and Yay there were icy puddles to plough through with gay abandon and a big stupid grin. I also managed to overtake a guy on a roadie on the way home I wonder if he recognised the crunching sound my studs made...
  • Initialised
    Put through snow Studs on last night after seeing all the ice on the way back from the Killers gig.

Did the long ride in, and not too bad, no real need for the Studs but they are like a gun on the Moon on frozen mornings.

Since they didn't get much action I took them for a blast on a local trail at lunchtime and Yay there were icy puddles to plough through with gay abandon and a big stupid grin. I also managed to overtake a guy on a roadie on the way home I wonder if he recognised the crunching sound my studs made...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Not seen any long-range weather forecasts, but the 120-stud version of Schwalbe Winters can be had for £43 for a pair, delivered from bike-discount.de - regular ones have another 120 studs on the shoulders.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Been looking for a while but finally tracked down the Nokian A10s, recommended by several posters as being "nearer to 30mm than 32", at starbike.com.
    I took a long hard look at the fork & brakes on the rusty raleigh and came to the conclusion that 30 would definitely fit and 32 might... :?

As for long range forecasts, a rough count last winter - which was mild by local standards - saw Bomp jr heading out on roads with visible snow, ice or frost for about 1 in 3 paper rounds between Dec and March.

I guess making up a full wheelset with them to swap quickly makes the most sense, what are the cheapest wheels in town?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Snow studs are on and I've been gingerly back on the bike this week. Taken the MTB on the Trans Pennine rather than ride the fixed as at least I can freewheel if things get (GOT :shock: ) uncomfortable. :lol:

We had ice on Monday, but since then it's been very mild. I've actually been testing the Snow Studs ability in deep mud, and they are great. Took a long short cut home earlier this week - a path I'd never been up before, but cut out the main road. Raining, my glasses steamed up, and climbing a muddy hill in the granny gear just keeping forward motion going over the mud. The tyres worked a treat. I've put full guards on though as the Trans Pennine is pretty muddy, and the mud has a concrete consistency when it sets - it also eats drive chains due to sand content.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well that's certainly pretty respectable delivery from Germany, ordered Fri arrived Wed am, they certainly look the part so now just the breath-holding till I see if they fit...
  • Look on the bright side. If they don't fit, you'll need a new bike to fit them on instead.

I think winter here is postponed. +10C overnight, and forecast to stay that way for the next week at least.