Anybody on Ice Tyres Yet?

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Hmmm. £60 for a pair from Spa. Might go for it.

890grams per tyre though!! 4x the weight of my normal ones :(
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    pangolin wrote:
    890grams per tyre though!! 4x the weight of my normal ones :(

...and the studs are glued on with spit from what I can tell. I don't really understand how Ice Spiker Pros can be so much better and so much lighter. I was really really disappointed with Marathon W***ers
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i was impressed with my marathon winters...
  • meanredspider
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i was impressed with my marathon winters...

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and even became a dab hand at replacing studs until I fell off on ice and broke the rear hanger on my Boardman CX (finding Lord Lucan would have been easier than finding a Boardman CX rear hanger). I was forced back onto my MTB with the Spiker Pros and was just bowled over by being reminded how much more sure-footed it was on any ice (never yet had a "moment") - then weighed both bikes and found that the MTB was lighter...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • spasypaddy
    ok, but also how wide are your spiker pros?

and remember we are in London not the middle of nowhere... i can stick completely to the road if i want to but when im on the CX i tend to go via some trails for some fun
  • spasypaddy
    and it turns out im using Snow Studs not marathon winters haha

actually im not sure which im using...
  • meanredspider
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ok, but also how wide are your spiker pros?

and remember we are in London not the middle of nowhere... i can stick completely to the road if i want to but when im on the CX i tend to go via some trails for some fun

2.1" I can stick completely to the road (and mostly do) - I'd just rather not fall off when I turn corners. I guess you probably don't see anything like as much ice as I do (up to 20 metres of the stuff completely across the road) and so maybe it's a trade-off. I just can't get over how heavy the Marathon Winters are - completely neutered the bike making it as slow as the MTB much of the time.
  • pangolin
    Okay I've been talked out of buying the Marathon Winters :) Paying to add 1.5kg to the bike just feels too wrong.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Got to say that the Schwalbe snow studs have felt unbelievably sure-footed on both snow and sheet ice - all the grip I feel like I need.

But I do fancy getting studs on my road bike for winter, if the tyres will fit - am I right in thinking that 35mm is the smallest you can get them?
  • spasypaddy
    2.1" I can stick completely to the road (and mostly do) - I'd just rather not fall off when I turn corners. I guess you probably don't see anything like as much ice as I do (up to 20 metres of the stuff completely across the road) and so maybe it's a trade-off. I just can't get over how heavy the Marathon Winters are - completely neutered the bike making it as slow as the MTB much of the time.
    what i meant was you probably see more snow/ice than we will ever see in a lifetime down here. and if i lived somewhere like that, id also have a hard tail MTB for the winter commute
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Anyone have a view on these?

klondike-skinny-100-spikes-28-x-14-wire.jpg

Kenda Klondike Skinnys. They're in bike-discount.de for £21 each.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Wheel turned up. There's me all ready to fit the Snow Stud, no bloody rim tapes left. Never mind that bloke fr Start who I helped out with a puncture says call in if I need anything, might be paying visit soon.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • meanredspider
    Holey cats, I was tired last night. A combination of almost two weeks off the bike, jet lag, too much American food and 105 miles in 5 days, 60 of them on the MTB with Ice Spikers, and winter long bibs (which I hate) and I had absolutely nothing to give. Road bike & shorts this morning and it was sooooooo much nicer & easier despite the headwind and rain.
  • Initialised
    Wheel fitted with Gatorskins = 1.43kg
    Wheel fitted with Snow Stud = 2.1kg.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Anyone have a view on these?

klondike-skinny-100-spikes-28-x-14-wire.jpg

Kenda Klondike Skinnys. They're in bike-discount.de for £21 each.
    Look ok, and will probably shed less studs than Marathon Winters due to deeper lugs and should fit on bikes that can't take 700c Snow Studs or Ice Spikes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Forecast for next week is 20c down south - doh!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    Well, there's nothing like winter tyres to make you appreciate road tyres. Still, I managed 150 miles this week with 60 on Ice Spikers (which feels like twice that distance - would love to measure the difference in power required)

In fact, I've jumped around the bikes a bit this week:

First 40 miles on the Cayo which really made me appreciate the Volagi's discs (especially in the wet :shock: :shock: )
    60 miles on the MTB/Spikers which made me appreciate road tyres and Di2 (big ring shifting with your thumb is so unnatural)
    50 on the V: Bliss 8) 8) 8)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    pangolin wrote:

With the typos and grammatical errors, that looks like a very trustworthy source...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Winter has arrived...this was yesterday.
    Orkanger25thOct.jpg
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Just wanted to point out that I am still in shorts and short sleeved tops.

Wore one of the Aldi merino sweaters that I picked up the other day. Had to stop and pack it in the courier bag after ten minutes as was starting to overheat badly.

Move south :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • meanredspider
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Winter has arrived...this was yesterday.
    Orkanger25thOct.jpg

Would you mind keeping that your side of the North Sea, please. It was cold this morning but nice and dry
  • meanredspider
    You obviously weren't listening :roll: - it snowed here earlier :shock: . Fortunately, as I'm on the V, it didn't settle.... :shock: 8)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You obviously weren't listening :roll: - it snowed here earlier :shock: . Fortunately, as I'm on the V, it didn't settle.... :shock: 8)

Your Volagi has snow-averting powers?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Initialised
    A very brief snow shower just passed.
  • meanredspider
    davis wrote:
    Your Volagi has snow-averting powers?

Yup - it's from sunny California 8)
  • I've just given my ice bike its pre-winter service. The Marathon Winters are in their second year. Last winter was mostly mild. This week's commutes were all just above freezing so the regular winter bike was used, but I'm looking forward to some icy rides soon!

The Marathon Winters are heavy, but having had a visit to A&E after an off just over a year ago, I can just about put up with two kilos of tyres if it saves another x-ray and months of nursing a shoulder injury. Mine are on a fairly light MTB with rigid carbon fork so the all-up weight isn't that great. The rolling resistance is acceptable if you keep the psi on the higher side of the scale.
  • Right - just for ITB (the rest of you look away... :wink: )

8096355576_d67866c593.jpg

That looks familiar - rural Scottish commutes are surely impossible to beat. looks a bit built-up for me though, I think I pass about ten houses in the twelve miles of riding to work, door to door. Sorry, do I sound like I'm gloating? :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm currently MTB less due to a warranty issue and a problem with a replacement frame so I am praying for the weather to stay mild - otherwise it's ice or snow biking on the Dawes. Suppose I could get some cyclocross tyres for it.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ice tyres? Where we're going, we don't ned ice tyres.

As long as it's the Netherlands.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... heatin.php

"Tests are about to start with heated cycle lanes in two parts of the Netherlands in an effort to reduce winter accidents, the Telegraaf reports on Tuesday."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)