Anybody on Ice Tyres Yet?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @MRS this thread is useless without ....PICS!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    itboffin wrote:
    @MRS this thread is useless without ....PICS!

Oops - will try to do better in the morning in the dark and the fog :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    bompington wrote:

No way is that today?

@MRS must try harder
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't think I can get spikes on the Brompton. =(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • temperature is still around 10 degrees down here but did dip to 2 the other day.
  • itboffin
    temperature is still around 10 degrees down here but did dip to 2 the other day.

Here being where ?
  • itboffin wrote:
    temperature is still around 10 degrees down here but did dip to 2 the other day.

Here being where ?

Exeter
  • meanredspider
    Ooh -3C here this morning - will take pictures :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I have a Sabbath September Bike. Prepared to remove the mudguards if necessary (be likepulling teeth though :-(()

Have Black Rain forks on the front. Anyone know if 35mm marathon winters will fit?

only one way to find out I suppose!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't have a thermometer here but the weather websites are saying -2 or so around here. -6 last night up Braemar way, and there's snow at under 2000ft on the hills just up the road.
    Here's what it looks like outside this morning:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Just a thought - how many other folk are doing a 30 mile RT commute on an MTB with nobblies over the winter months?

I may just manage one more week of off-road commutes but I'll be changing to road tyres (Specialized Crossroads) for the winter road based commutes before the end of the month.

Bob
  • meanredspider
    Right - just for ITB (the rest of you look away... :wink: )

8096355576_d67866c593.jpg

So this is the big hill on my commute - on the way home I can hit 45 mph down here. What looks like water on the road near my bike was sheet ice. In the background is fog on the Cromarty Firth and beyond that Ben Wyvis with the remains of the snow that fell on Sunday on the top. Loads of black ice today
  • meanredspider
    spasypaddy wrote:
    rural commutes look awesome

I'd say that picture is typical of about 12 miles of my 15-mile commute. The roads get a bit wider at 7 miles in but hardly any busier. Only when I reach the Kessock Bridge does it really become more "urban" though nearly all on shared (with almost no-one) cycle path.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Didn't need the winters this morning, I needed a Paddle and a Snorkel.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    rubertoe wrote:
    Didn't need the winters this morning, I needed a Paddle and a Snorkel.

I think I have that problem for the ride home.... :roll:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    rural commutes look awesome

I'd say that picture is typical of about 12 miles of my 15-mile commute. The roads get a bit wider at 7 miles in but hardly any busier. Only when I reach the Kessock Bridge does it really become more "urban" though nearly all on shared (with almost no-one) cycle path.
    yes but on the downside you do have to live in scotland... :P
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I kinda wish I lived where MRS is. I cycled from Inverness over the Kessock Bridge, through the Black Isle and over the Cromarty Bridge on LEJOG and it was all awesome.

I was a bit confused about it being an Isle though. Is it separate from the mainland?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    I was a bit confused about it being an Isle though. Is it separate from the mainland?

Nope - not quite - it's nearly an island but it is joined at one end. Perhaps they started calling it an Isle when companies started charging non-UK Mainland delivery :roll: :evil:

Before the Kessock bridge was built, it must have felt very remote
  • pangolin
    pangolin wrote:

Nope - not quite - it's nearly an island but it is joined at one end. Perhaps they started calling it an Isle when companies started charging non-UK Mainland delivery :roll: :evil:

Before the Kessock bridge was built, it must have felt very remote

You get charged non mainland delivery? Ouch!

Yeah that's true it must have. Would you recommend living in Scotland? It's my favourite part of the UK I think but I've obviously spent a lot less time there than here.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    You get charged non mainland delivery? Ouch!

Yeah that's true it must have. Would you recommend living in Scotland? It's my favourite part of the UK I think but I've obviously spent a lot less time there than here.

Sometimes. People like Wiggle don't charge but ParcelFarce do (yet the PO doesn't...). Irritates me because we're clearly UK mainland.

I love the Highlands. The quality of life is superb and I'm lucky enough to work for a big "bluechip" multinational with all the benefits that brings. Crime rate is tiny (highest crime is drink-driving). Schools are great. I can't understand why they struggle to attract teachers and policemen - same pay, much better conditions. The only downside is it's a very long way from anywhere - London is over 500 miles away - but, for me, that's more than made up for by the benefits: cheaper housing, lack of traffic, clean air, low crime etc
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    So, the long term weather reports that its going to be a very cold winter with temps hitting -18c on Scotland and -10c in the South East coupled with lots of snow.

Time to breakout the sun tan lotion then.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    ive just been told that its going to be brutal in london from mid november till february. i love bad weather!
  • pangolin
    Yeah I read that too. Any recommendations for 700c tyres other than the marathon winters?

Maybe I should just stick with the Rubino Pros and see what happens.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    Yeah I read that too. Any recommendations for 700c tyres other than the marathon winters?

wasn't someone bringing out a winter tyre that works on the same principle as car winter tyres? ie very soft rubber with lots of sypes? I'm sure I read that on here I think during last winter. It may have been Conti or Schwalbe
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:

wasn't someone bringing out a winter tyre that works on the same principle as car winter tyres? ie very soft rubber with lots of sypes? I'm sure I read that on here I think during last winter. It may have been Conti or Schwalbe

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a40755 ... =GBP&cn=gb

ETA - the 700c version

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/13 ... x-37c.html
  • spasypaddy
    pangolin wrote:

Maybe I should just stick with the Rubino Pros and see what happens.
    for a road bike, you have no option other than trying to get a 28mm tyre on but clearances may not allow.

for a CX bike there are loads of options
  • pangolin

Interesting ta!
    spasypaddy wrote:
    for a road bike, you have no option other than trying to get a 28mm tyre on but clearances may not allow.

for a CX bike there are loads of options

It would be for my Kaffenback. I think 35 is the absolute max on there. Sadly those continental top contact's seem to just be in 37 :(
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • spasypaddy
    Marathon winters come in a 700x35c

its what i use. what ive found is its difficult to get going but when youve got movement its fine