radio 5 live about doping in cycling 7pm monday

13»

Comments

• MrT wrote:
    Exhausted...Millar for UCI president!!!!! Interesting?

Mmmmmm...Iain's already not happy at this idea!

Neither am I.

Millar is eloquent but very unbalanced.

This is what I thought on listening to this last night. I don't doubt that miller is clean but if you listen to him the sport is now completely clean due to people like him and the problem is not there. The UCI need a complete anti doper not an x doper! Paul Kimmage or Basson :lol:
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    harrydaisy wrote:
    This is what I thought on listening to this last night. I don't doubt that miller is clean but if you listen to him the sport is now completely clean due to people like him and the problem is not there. The UCI need a complete anti doper not an x doper! Paul Kimmage or Basson :lol:

Christ no, they'd be as hopeless as Millar

No one really has any idea who should be in charge. Which means it's going to be Makarov, isn't it?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Re Kimmage and Bassons: you cant just throw out random names for UCI Pres because they're going to be the only men left standing who've not doped. Well, I spose Kimmage did take speed for that crit...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

Christ no, they'd be as hopeless as Millar

No one really has any idea who should be in charge. Which means it's going to be Makarov, isn't it?

F*ck it. I'm voting Virenque.

Yeah, that's right, I said it.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    I've just finished listening to the 5Live programme on this, and something near the end particularly struck me. Dick Pound was giving his views on the future and mentioned the gap between race day morning testing and stage start as being 6 hours or so - plenty of time for the dopers to do their thing. He suggested that random start-line testing would make a big difference, but that it would never happen.
    Can I say naively, why not? I don't buy any loss of blood volume nonsense, tests need a minimal amount. Cycling surely needs to be seen to be taking positive steps to sort this out.
    Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,572
    I also wondered the same as MarkP.

Dr Ashenden's final summary did not inspire confidence that things are really that clean.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I listened to this over a couple of evenings at the start of the week. Thought overall it was a good documentary. Thought Champan did a pretty good job with the interviews and anchoring the whole thing. I only started watching pro cycling in 2007, so didn't really know much about Bassons. That was quite interesting, had heard about the whole Simeoni incident, but the Bassons one had passed me by somehow.

The overwhelming feeling I had after listening to it all was just how grubby and seedy the whole thing is. I remember in one of Richard Moore's books Chris Hoy talks about doping and says he doesn't know how people can cope (and train and perform) with the stress it must cause them. Knowing that you're lying to the world, and there's a whole chain of people with questionable morals who could bring your world crashing down at any minute. I almost don't understand how you could put yourself through it all.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:

Dr Ashenden's final summary did not inspire confidence that things are really that clean.
    You know home security salesmen who are full of scare stories to frighten people into buying burglar alarms - well that's basically what Ashenden is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

You know home security salesmen who are full of scare stories to frighten people into buying burglar alarms - well that's basically what Ashenden is.

What's he 'selling' though?
  • MrTapir wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Let's just say that Ashenden's many "rent-an-expert" appearances in the media of late, is seen by some of us as smacking of a very extensive job interview
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,572
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Sure, but his point is valid. You can blood dope after the morning test and before the race starts, and then you can lower your hematacrit after the race and before the testing. That seems quite easy to me, so it is sad that it is not prevented.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    MrTapir wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Anti-doping services and himself.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    MrTapir wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Let's just say that Ashenden's many "rent-an-expert" appearances in the media of late, is seen by some of us as smacking of a very extensive job interview
    I have to agree. He is obviously in favour of clean sport and is one of the foremost experts on the science but he does always seem to be pushing another agenda when I hear him speak. Surely there must be plenty of other people around the world at the forefront of the fight who don't appear as spokesman every chance they get.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Most races start at about 10.00 or 11.00am don't they? Surely the testers aren't coming around taking samples at 4 or 5 in the morning?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:
    Most races start at about 10.00 or 11.00am don't they? Surely the testers aren't coming around taking samples at 4 or 5 in the morning?

I think its the 'random' testing isnt it. They can arrive at any time of the day.

On Ashenden, he is a bit of a drama queen at times "I dont think i watched any of the olympics, not any"

I get the feeling the situation might be in the middle of Ashenden's doom mongering and Millar's view that its really really clean and all fine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:

Most flat days start at 13.00 or so.

They take 4 and a bit hours, and they aim to finish between 17.00 and 18.00 local time.

Most days in the Tour aren't 7hrs long!!