radio 5 live about doping in cycling 7pm monday

big_p
big_p Posts: 565
edited October 2012 in Pro race
i suspect this may be all about L,A. but I'm sure it'll be worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngqxd

Comments

• MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Listening now.....bit worrying when they say in a couple of hours time...sounds like we're in for the long haul....but already interesting 11 mins in but nothing new yet.
  • In depth means just that.
    Wait and see.
    Hopefully, no stone left uncovered, but this is the Beeb..................
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Holy Dave's on it so I'm hoping for some massive Verbruggen slammage
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    The guy on it (guess its Hamilton), is really opening up on this. Pretty dark.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    The guy on it (guess its Hamilton), is really opening up on this. Pretty dark.

Matt DeCanio on now...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Christophe Bassons is the one I am interested in
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Tyler admits his twin wan't a twin!
    Blood bag number 4142
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tyler admits his twin wan't a twin!
    Blood bag number 4142

Yes!!
  • Its very dark, but I can see were Tyler Hamilton is comming from. I feel for him.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • MrT
    Bassons on now....very sad...but is anyone surprised. Pro sport!
  • Very shocking to hear it directly from riders.

It does make you wonder how many races have been won clean and when this doping horror show first started, plus when (if) it has ended.
  • MrT wrote:

Jeez...you know this account, you've read this account, but the spoken words - his spoken words - are so much more powerful
  • MrT
    The doping began in 1903 .....the horror....depending on your definition has been around for at least 25 years.....or you could start with TS on Ventoux.
  • grubby grubby grubby
  • MrT
    MrT wrote:

Jeez...you know this account, you've read this account, but the spoken words - his spoken words - are so much more powerful

Agree RR with the power absolutely but it just isn't that shocking just v sad for our sport and the poor sods in the pro ranks shafted on the periphery.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Right... can someone explain something to me?
    Emma O'Reilly is very brave for standing up to Lance etc...

but...

a) she was knowingly fetching and carrying doping products
    b) she knew about the backdated TUE
    c) she was involved in covering up needle marks

And at no point did she speak up, until after her employment with USPS had ended (am I right in this?). She even says she felt guilty talking to David Walsh then.

Obviously she has told the truth since, but surely she was an accomplice and part of the doping for some good while.

Why does she get held in such high esteem? Why is she not considered the same as TH / FL etc - i.e. happy to keep quiet whilst on board, and only speaking out when she has nothing to lose...
  • ooooh....the Presidential links....interesting comment from Pound there....
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    not looking good for the uci........
  • I like Hamilton telling Mark Chapman to pass on his number to HV and PM and telling them to call him
  • Millar Time :)
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    nic_77 wrote:
    Why does she get held in such high esteem? Why is she not considered the same as TH / FL etc - i.e. happy to keep quiet whilst on board, and only speaking out when she has nothing to lose...

Not sure she would agree that she has been held in "high esteem" over the past few years. "Ostracised and abused" would be a better description.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    oneof1982 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

Not sure she would agree that she has been held in "high esteem" over the past few years. "Ostracised and abused" would be a better description.

OK, I accept that. I mean since Wednesday last week.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Have to say. Its bizarre hearing a lot of this on the BBC. A lot of it has been well known on the internetz for years, but actually hearing it on the BBC, all in one place. Puts it in perspective somewhat.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Agree - this is a bloody good prog
  • oneof1982
    Basson for UCI president :lol:
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    I keep hearing allan peiper talking :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Assuming there's going to be a podcast of this?
  • johnboy183 wrote:
    Assuming there's going to be a podcast of this?

It'll be on iPlayer
  • I keep hearing allan peiper talking

I seem to remember him saying

"he hasn't been looking after himself" (can't remember who he was talking about) on the Robert Millar High Life programme in the '80's
  • oneof1982
    Good, and good to hear on the BBC, but not as good as the AustralianBC programme previously flagged..

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/ ... 608613.htm